Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking if taking to a mates work shop and having a look there. I'm new to dealing with timing chains so looking for all the info I can get. Thanks guys
How are you and your mate going to know if it's on the way out.Not trying to be a smartypants but do you know what to look for?,most have no issues my mate has over 170k on his d40 it's as quiet as a mouse luck of the draw i say for the few with drama's.

He's a mechanic and can tell the signs of pulley wear and see if the chain has stretched

Cheers mate. I'm hoping all will be good. As I said before it was my understanding a timing chain should outlast the motor but reading in here has put doubt in my mind

sounds like you have done your homework
the yd25 does have some issues.........so do a lot of others
not all engines are affected
mine was fine and I know plenty that still are
you'le be right mate:cheers:

Last edited:
Hi All. have a 2007 Spanish built. Done 120k. Motor is as quiet as a church mouse. No problems here. Plently of good smooth power. Did a clutch thou at 110k. Replaced with a H/D Repco kit. A few slight vibs on take off but otherwise it fine. Cheers

I asked my mechanic on Wednesday about " when's the timing chain need doing" he said they don't??? I'd imagine there would be bearings in there that would need changing at some point.

What's this about making an out of warranty claim? My gearbox is rooted and the ute's only done 76 000km and is only just 4 yrs old.

yea my gearbox shot itself at about 65k and nissan said no because a body lift was done and it may have contributed to the cause, i called bullshit in which they didnt like so i took it out myself and sent the box to bears bearbox n diff at st marys who found a crack in the sycro hub for 5th an 6th, showed this to nissan and they still wanted nothing to do about it, i asked the bears mob how could it happen and he said just metal fatiuge or wasnt inspected correct at manufacture. but no way was the body lift an issue,

nissan never saw that ute again and never will.:wristy:

Just did the chain in my 08 king cab (120,000ks) all is quiet again oh and as a side note Nissan changed to duplex chains when they went to the 140kw version of the yd25. I used the yd25.com duplex kit Nissan thought it was a good kit as they did the job for me plus it worked out cheaper by $200 than the OME chain

Recently I spent a good couple of hours ringing several nissan dealerships within the country (I spoke only to service and parts, should have seen my phone bill haha) I also spoke with a few independant mechanics who have been working on diesel engines since the old school 90's.. they have had to learn about them all over again (the ones who know the differences are the best I think) Yes yd25 are complicated (more than they should be perhaps) The consequence of Nissan's progress is the YD25 are a delicate engine. The correct and PROPER maintanance needs to be carried out EVERYTIME and your yd25 will purr like a kitten. For example, even the smallest neglection or overlook could set off a reaction which ends up exhausting your wallet, like driving without giving your car the chance to warm up. Little things like that contribute to rapid wear and tear, and seeing as the sprockets which the timing chain rotates on is so weak, guess what will be affected by rapid wear and tear? Yes it's that simple.. just change the sprocket wheel when your chain sounds like it's rubbing on metal, it's that easy.. and cheaper:)
So when something goes wrong.. everyone points the finger at nissan and they don't want a bar of it. Of course they don't want a bar of it, in their eye's you have mistreated the engine so why should they honour their warranty? Nissan built an awesome ute in my opinion.. too many yahoos out there find it easier to blame someone else other than themselves for their lack of common sense. As for duplex timing chain.. I have no solid proof, but a reliable D40 owner who happens to work on exhausts has said the same thing about duplex timing chains causing problems.
One comment that was said to me a few times was, 'if this duplex timing chain was soo effective, then why didn't nissan add another and then they could justify putting 3-4 grand on the sale price?'
Truth is mate, yd25.com.au is ripping people off on a massive scale. STAY RIGHT AWAY

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently I spent a good couple of hours ringing several nissan dealerships within the country (I spoke only to service and parts, should have seen my phone bill haha) I also spoke with a few independant mechanics who have been working on diesel engines since the old school 90's.. they have had to learn about them all over again (the ones who know the differences are the best I think) Yes yd25 are complicated (more than they should be perhaps) The consequence of Nissan's progress is the YD25 are a delicate engine. The correct and PROPER maintanance needs to be carried out EVERYTIME and your yd25 will purr like a kitten. For example, even the smallest neglection or overlook could set off a reaction which ends up exhausting your wallet, like driving without giving your car the chance to warm up. Little things like that contribute to rapid wear and tear, and seeing as the sprockets which the timing chain rotates on is so weak, guess what will be affected by rapid wear and tear? Yes it's that simple.. just change the sprocket wheel when your chain sounds like it's rubbing on metal, it's that easy.. and cheaper:)
So when something goes wrong.. everyone points the finger at nissan and they don't want a bar of it. Of course they don't want a bar of it, in their eye's you have mistreated the engine so why should they honour their warranty? Nissan built an awesome ute in my opinion.. too many yahoos out there find it easier to blame someone else other than themselves for their lack of common sense. As for duplex timing chain.. I have no solid proof, but a reliable D40 owner who happens to work on exhausts has said the same thing about duplex timing chains causing problems.
One comment that was said to me a few times was, 'if this duplex timing chain was soo effective, then why didn't nissan add another and then they could justify putting 3-4 grand on the sale price?'
Truth is mate, yd25.com.au is ripping people off on a massive scale. STAY RIGHT AWAY FROM THOSE JERKS

I think you may need to spend even more money on phone calls and read more from this forum and others included the ones in the UK, because im sure you will find that not all of the failures come from teeth breaking off the sprockets.

From my time on here and i have read a thread or two it appears that most failures are caused by the tensioners and intern causing the stretching of the chain, i spoke to the Head mechanic at my local Nissan after they changed the chain on my 2010 ST and he said that all the ones he has seen have been like that and only one of them was so bad that the stretched chain was flapping around so much that it chewed out the guide rail on the tensioner and then started to jump
teeth on the sprockets are tear them off.

I personally have not yet heard anyone say that the teeth broke off the sprocket and the chain and tensioners were still intact.
Also why on earth would any mechanic worth a pinch of salt go to all the trouble of getting at the chain just to replace the sprocket with out replacing the other associated parts??

Seriously that is one of the dumbest things ive read on here full stop.

Even with the old 2.8lt Hilux 3l motors when you do a belt change you replace the seals and the water pump while your at it and have the front of the engine open, after all its cheaper to pay for a few extra parts today then wait for them to fail and do more damage tomorrow.

Also I personally have not dealt with YD25 (Paul) but from all the good reports people have given him and the fact that when he realised he could make his product better and that he may have let people install a product that he found out could of been better he drove around Australia upgrading every engine that had his parts in to the new gen parts he is now selling.

Not to mention the fact that i haven't read of one failure with his double row system.

So why is it you are so confident in bagging him and telling people "yd25.com.au is ripping people off on a massive scale STAY RIGHT AWAY FROM THOSE JERKS" ??? thats a bit rough, after all you said so your self that you " I have no solid proof" ??? so if you have no solid proof how come you can say that he is ripping people off and that he is a jerk???

Last edited:
My timing chain was very stretched, with badly worn sprockets very noisy with the original chain about to break
My tensioner was worn through with filings everywhere
It's a 2008 STX Spanish
I had a yd25.com.au put in, it's way cheaper than the standard Nissan single sprocket kit
The head mechanic at my local dealer suggested I get a dual sprocket kit instead if the genuine part

I don't agree with what your saying about the yd25.com.au they offer a good product at a competitive price .

Check out the threads in timing chains, I think most people on this forum think the. yd25.com.au is a good option

I think you may need to spend even more money on phone calls and read more from this forum and others included the ones in the UK, because im sure you will find that not all of the failures come from teeth breaking off the sprockets.

From my time on here and i have read a thread or two it appears that most failures are caused by the tensioners and intern causing the stretching of the chain, i spoke to the Head mechanic at my local Nissan after they changed the chain on my 2010 ST and he said that all the ones he has seen have been like that and only one of them was so bad that the stretched chain was flapping around so much that it chewed out the guide rail on the tensioner and then started to jump
teeth on the sprockets are tear them off.

I personally have not yet heard anyone say that the teeth broke off the sprocket and the chain and tensioners were still intact.
Also why on earth would any mechanic worth a pinch of salt go to all the trouble of getting at the chain just to replace the sprocket with out replacing the other associated parts??

Seriously that is one of the dumbest things ive read on here full stop.

Even with the old 2.8lt Hilux 3l motors when you do a belt change you replace the seals and the water pump while your at it and have the front of the engine open, after all its cheaper to pay for a few extra parts today then wait for them to fail and do more damage tomorrow.

Also I personally have not dealt with YD25 (Paul) but from all the good reports people have given him and the fact that when he realised he could make his product better and that he may have let people install a product that he found out could of been better he drove around Australia upgrading every engine that had his parts in to the new gen parts he is now selling.

Not to mention the fact that i haven't read of one failure with his double row system.

So why is it you are so confident in bagging him and telling people "yd25.com.au is ripping people off on a massive scale STAY RIGHT AWAY FROM THOSE JERKS" ??? thats a bit rough, after all you said so your self that you " I have no solid proof" ??? so if you have no solid proof how come you can say that he is ripping people off and that he is a jerk???

Really? dumbest things huh? coming from a person who recommends to get info from the internet where 90% of stuff is BS.. you're a special kind of stupid aren't you lol

My timing chain was very stretched, with badly worn sprockets very noisy with the original chain about to break
My tensioner was worn through with filings everywhere
It's a 2008 STX Spanish
I had a yd25.com.au put in, it's way cheaper than the standard Nissan single sprocket kit
The head mechanic at my local dealer suggested I get a dual sprocket kit instead if the genuine part

I don't agree with what your saying about the yd25.com.au they offer a good product at a competitive price .

Check out the threads in timing chains, I think most people on this forum think the. yd25.com.au is a good option

I've been told different but each to their own mate

Coming from people IN THE KNOW (and not arm chair warriors NATHAND22) these problems of chain failures are still fairly uncommon. Let's say there is 100,000 of these engines on the road in Australia, 200 failures would sound like a big number, but put in context that would be about a 0.02% failure rate

EVLSTX

MATE
you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are
BUT
keep it clean, you don't like yd25's product, that's fine, you disagree with nathand22, that's also fine but please keep it clean
some posts have been removed

thankyou

Last edited:
Back