Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no normal servicing of the timing chain. Mine was Nissan serviced all the way and the problem raised its ugly head. Was told it was a design issue with the chain and tensioner. Bugger all you can do but keep an ear on it.
Was told the replacements were better constructed, maybe a fix. 70000km since still quiet as.
S@#t happens.

How come mine makes a rattling noise when I turn the accessories on. There's no noise when I start it though

There is no normal servicing of the timing chain. Mine was Nissan serviced all the way and the problem raised its ugly head. Was told it was a design issue with the chain and tensioner. Bugger all you can do but keep an ear on it.
Was told the replacements were better constructed, maybe a fix. 70000km since still quiet as.
S@#t happens.

You are correct a timing chain should last as long as the motor but then again you put a single row chain in a hi output turbo diesel and its no surprise that there are problems. Mine is duplex now should fix it forever I hope fingers crossed and all.

How come mine makes a rattling noise when I turn the accessories on. There's no noise when I start it though

very strange are you sure the noise is coming from the engine bay or maybe something is broken in the fan vent system I had my d22 make a rattle in the vent pipes took ages to find it was just a stray pice of plastic broken off, once I removed it all was ok again.

Or maybe you have mice lol.

I'm going with ventilation aswel. I just panicked a bit from reading the previous post about a rattle on start up etc

Do you guys have a price on what its costing for a duplex upgrade?? as iv noticed that yd25 is going to start engine swaps, being they upgrade the Oil pump, Timing chain and a few other things and swap it out with your current engine plus cash obviously. Thinking that if there is really only a few grand difference why not change engines.
Also im not even sure its my chain the only sign i have is a bit of a rattle while crusing, when under accelleration or de-acceleration there is no noise, when idling there is a slight knocking (standard for a diesel i think) and while cruisng it seems to rattle, im thinking that its the chain because there is no tention on the chain while cruising therfore it rattles.. hope that makes sense

Last edited:
Also im not even sure its my chain the only sign i have is a bit of a rattle while crusing, when under accelleration or de-acceleration there is no noise, when idling there is a slight knocking (standard for a diesel i think) and while cruisng it seems to rattle, im thinking that its the chain because there is no tention on the chain while cruising therfore it rattles.. hope that makes sense

that makes perfect sense, it was what my 2010 was doing before nissan wrongly diagnosed my rough idle issue and decided to do the timing chain.
After they did the chain that noise was gone, and mine was doing that from around 30k to 95k when they did the chain.
I asked the nissan tech in the workshop how bad the chain was and he said it was pretty good and that he had seen so many that were allot worse including some that had totally chewed through the entire guide of the tensioners.

If my engine was good in all other regards i wouldnt go swapping the engine fro another one with the chain done, you dont know the history of the engine and you could infact be buying a dud with a new oil pump and chain.
If it were me i would take the time to inspect the chain, then if needed fix the chain on my own engine (if your engine is in good nick other wise)

that makes perfect sense, it was what my 2010 was doing before nissan wrongly diagnosed my rough idle issue and decided to do the timing chain.
After they did the chain that noise was gone, and mine was doing that from around 30k to 95k when they did the chain.
I asked the nissan tech in the workshop how bad the chain was and he said it was pretty good and that he had seen so many that were allot worse including some that had totally chewed through the entire guide of the tensioners.

If my engine was good in all other regards i wouldnt go swapping the engine fro another one with the chain done, you dont know the history of the engine and you could infact be buying a dud with a new oil pump and chain.
If it were me i would take the time to inspect the chain, then if needed fix the chain on my own engine (if your engine is in good nick other wise)

I dont know the history of the Nav before the 150K mark it has 178k on it now, im not all that concerned as it was a clean ute when i bought it and am pretty sure it had never done any off roading or towing.
Your probably right with the engine swap. How do you inspect the timing chain without pulling it all apart?? as if i were pulling it apart anyways i may as well upgrade to the double row just to be sure. especially if im (or someone else is) putting the man hours in anyways. And henestly if i were to upgade that i may as well do the cluctch at the same time.

FYI - I have had no mechanical issue with the ute since owning it its quite impressed me considering the K`s and the off roading i have done.
thanks for the input Nath

Last edited:
Ah ok i thought you had owned that one from pretty much new.
To inspect the timing chain you need to remove the black cover on the front of the engine, which from what ive heard is allot harder in the d22 due the lack of room which has intern forced nissan to rout other components in your way of getting to it, in which case if you had the spare coin it prob is worthy of having the parts and doing the job once and for all.
As for the clutch its a total different area of course and can be done at any time with no difference in cost if done now or later.
I got over 350,000km out of my D22 clutch and it was still going fine when it went swimming and drowned, so if it were and it isnt slipping i would keep going until you get signs its shitting itself

Yeah cheers Nath, the clutch seems ok i must admit there is no signs of wear. I had read somewhere that to get to a D22 chai. You basically have to dismantle the front engine bay so maybe ill just replace it and see what happens. But to be honest it won't be for a bit yet probably after the muster. Thanks Nath appreciate it. By reading earlier posts seems I must a bit of entertainment, should have started reading earlier. Haha.

My motor rattles when cruising or rolling, under no load I guess you'd call it, but I wouldn't say it was the timing chain, there's too much noise. I just suspect it's because it's a diesel and diesels rattle.

I wouldn't think I could hear the timing chain rattling when driving along at 100kmh with the radio on and windows up, but I would expect to hear a diesel motor rattling.

So is inpsecting a timing chain on a D40 a big job?

if you read my other posts through out this forum i have said exactly the same thing as what you are saying.
I dont believe all the hype that people say 100% of yd25 engines will fail and i have had lengthy debates with members who have tried to suggest such a thing.

As for the arm chair warrior comment you have absolutely have no idea of my background in the automotive industry so your comments in that respect are void, my point is that if you have a read of all the people that have had actual failures and that have had "the people in the know" fix that issue then you would see not only pictures of what failed but their reports from said people about what actually failed.

Further more if you read my post in reply to yours and didnt just get on your high horse you would of read that this so called arm chair warrior has had first hand experience with a timing chain being replaced by nissan, after nissan hq wrongly diagnosed the problem my 2010 st was having at which time a had lengthy discussions with allot of "people in the know" and all of those people agreed with my original comments.

The thing that i do find hilarious about your "arm chair warrior" statement is that you your self said that is exactly how you have gathered all you so called "facts" after all look at your phone bill, lol so instead of getting a well rounded view from all aspects and resources available to you so you can build even a general consensus, your ring a few nissan dealers and a so called mechanic or two and come up with all these "facts" what is a well known fact is that any manufacturer will blame everyone and everything else other then their own product for as long as possible to minimise warranty claim and avoid recalls, how many times have we heard of a common problems only to go to the dealer and hear "its the firsty time thats ever happened" or "we have never even heard of it before" that is why so many people end up in court fighting against the manufacturer they deny deny deny right to the very end.
So apart of your super thorough research is also a little lacking and was in know doubt a waste of your hard earned in having to pay the "phone bill" you winged about

you even go on to say that you have no proof, what i have spoken about i can verify im not taking a stab in the dark its all from people in the know who have either worked on the cars to fix this issue or from people who have had (like me) a first hand experience from their own vehicles.

When you can produce evidence that all the failures are due to the sprockets and not the tensioners or the chain stretching i will be on your side.

When you can show me that paul from yd25.com is a jerk and is ripping people off and his product is crap i will also like you steer others away

when you can prove that the double row chain causes more problems like yu suggest then again i will eat my words.

The trouble is you cant do any of those things and thats why you have decided to turn the atack onto me simply because i said that to pull an engine apart and only change a sprocket but not he chain and guides while you have just taken the time and or money is a dumb move.

blah blah blah stfu

I have a 2007 stx Spanish with 195k on it never been at nissan done all the services myself and only the last week I can barely hear a slight tic sound every 20-30 seconds like a chain hitting slightly... So almost 200k no dramas I may consider a double row chain as in my opinion 2 is better then one! But it all comes down to cost as I got a quote for 1400 to replace with ome chain, sprockets and guides fitted it's less then the kit old mate sells and if I get another 7 years out of that it's not worth me spending 3k on a double row.....

Engines Australia do a full Timing Chain kit for the D40.. $650 if i recall correctly of my purchase price.. that is all sprockets, chains, guides, tensioners... They are an upgraded unit and much stronger than the OEM units..

I could not justify the double row, at double the price.. I got my engine builder to fit it (just over 1K in labour), so all up approx $1700 replaced..

A guy i work with here had his D40 into Nissan and they said he needs a new timing chain.. quoted him SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to do it!!!! I laughed.. HARD!

that price would be if the chain had already broken, I was quoted $2800 for OME by Nissan and went for the Duplex chain fitted by Nissan that ended up at around $2600

timing chain

Just replace my timing chain with a duel row kit from YD25.com its a 2007 stx with 200,000ks on it never been so pissed of when i pull the timing chain cover off to find no sign wear or stretch on the chain or any part of the timing train good replacement kit but for me it was $1600 waste of money.

Why did u buy a new chain without inspecting it first? that's a lot of money to spend on a hunch if you were having issues.

Back