Burning smell?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLSTX

Reaction score
I'm posting this thread under 'electrical' because even though I do not know what is the cause, the smell I get from the nav on start up in the mornings (mainly when it is cold and sometimes, on warmer days when the car has been turned off for 7-8 hours) is of electrical burning. I have been told that it may be the cat converter causing the issue, but this has been happening for 10-11 months and if it was the cat converter, it would have shat itself by now. Any thoughts on the possible cause?

Apparently the DPF could also be the cause. It's not the devices burning, it's the fuel residue that smells (both CAT and DPF rely on fuel being dumped on them to assist or perform their function).

That actually makes sense because since I have deleted the DPF from the ECU and ran a delete pipe in it's place, I have not noticed any burning sulphur smell..

A few people have reported a burning smell that turned out to be a perished rubber boot on the gearstick. I think it was letting some type of smell through? Can't remember exactly.

the rubber on the gear stick is a gear oil smell, not burning, the crankcase and transmission breathers are very near the gear stick

Latest posts

Back