Slight vibration when slowing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunv8

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My 2013 D40 Auto has a slight shudder through the car when slowing down to come to a stop. As if going over a cattle grid, but much less aggressive. I have tried putting into neutral when slowing, and it doesn't happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be? I was thinking about changing the trans fluid as I dont know history of it, but I cant even find any info on that!!!!

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks

So after alot of searching i have found that there are 2 bolts in trans pan. One a 17mm and one a 5?mm star head. The drain in the 17mm and the star is to be removed to determine if full. (Oil will run out of this when full). But for the life of me i cannot find where to put fluid in. Anyone??

G'day Shaunv8,

All that will do is drop the trans oil that's in the pan. There will be at least that much old oil still in the trans when your done. You need to flush the whole lot out, which is a bit more complicated. In your case, you probably need to drop the pan & change the filter too.

But my 1st guess on your particular problem was that you've lost a counter weight on your tail shaft?

I'd leave the tranny alone for the time being too (see below for more about filling). I'd be looking at the front and rear drive shafts. Most likely the rear. And then, don't just look at the drive shaft, but the rear diff too. When the load is reverse to normal "drive" (in other words, the wheels are rotating the drive line, not the engine) it does behave differently because of the diff. I'd check the diff oil too.

Nissan changed the gearbox oil filling/checking method. You need to pump the oil up through the filler hole in the bottom of the sump. It's full when only a small amount dribbles back out. I don't get why they did that, surely it's easier to check with a dip stick? But they say the oil should last the life of the gearbox. I think "life" means 5 years though, and you're expected to replace your car!

Thanks to you both for your replies. So I should start with the easier of the possible issues and change rear diff oil?

Even cheaper and easier than that - get underneath and shake the shit out of the drive shafts. They shouldn't move. If they don't move, then look at the diff.

Even cheaper and easier than that - get underneath and shake the shit out of the drive shafts. They shouldn't move. If they don't move, then look at the diff.

Thanks Tony. The only thing that has me stumped is the fact that it happens for about 1 second or so when slowing, approx 30kms on decel when coming to a stop. If driveshaft was RS, I thought it would happen all the time?

If the drive shaft is well balanced it might only happen at certain RPM. like a spinning top will start wobbling as it reaches a certain rate while it slows.

My own car had these symptoms and it was my rear uni, hence the suggestion. :)

I got under to look today and there is a small dent in the tailshaft about the size of a 5c piece. This may be causing it. I guess the tailshaft needs looking at.

A small dent won't be a huge problem, as long as the shaft itself isn't bent.

But then again, dents mean there was a force applied, and that shaft may now have a little wobble in it. Might be worth mounting a GoPro underneath to take some action shots.

It's pretty difficult to make any dents in the tail shaft, it takes considerable force to do it. I'd say a dent the size of a 5c piece was caused by a fair whack.

I think that you have found your problem!

if the dent has caused the vibration through now being out of balance, wouldn't the the same vibration be felt when coasting at the same speed, or under acceleration?
I had an out of balance tail shaft once, and once you got to the speed where it would start to vibrate, then it would continue the faster it spun!

Thanks what Im thinking, mine seems to be around 30km when slowing. Its as if Im driving a manual, and I am in too high a gear for the speed. Lasts 1 second then goes.....

if the dent has caused the vibration through now being out of balance, wouldn't the the same vibration be felt when coasting at the same speed, or under acceleration?
I had an out of balance tail shaft once, and once you got to the speed where it would start to vibrate, then it would continue the faster it spun!

Some times yes & some times no.

Latest posts

Back