Very stupid ZD30 mistake,with timing.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobob

Reaction score
Help needed please. Injector pump was removed from ZD30 Engine without lining up the timing marks and Engine now has been rotated to try and line marks up again.Is there a way to line up the marks without removing the whole timing gear cover? Very stupid mistake by someone trying to help me. I know this is a hard way to learn,but any help or suggestions are appreciated please.

I'd say one of those inspection cameras you can get fairly cheaply now. You should be able to put it in through the hole where the injector pump goes and see the marks from there...

Sorry about the late reply,all done now. Had to pull the whole timing cover off.
Pretty straight forward but took two days. Took the studs out of the waterpump,to get it of.Just screw them out with two nuts locked together and screw them back in. Didn't have to drop the sump,just took out the front five bolts to relieve a bit of pressure. Take notice of the Bolt locations, they are different lenghts. You must lock the idler gear together with a bolt or screwdriver of appropriate size before you remove pump gear. There is a plug located below the idler gear in the housing. Use all new o-rings and gaskets,there is only four or five. If you find yourself in this situation,it can be done but take your time. I could have saved myself three days work by tripple checking the timing marks at the start. Lot of good stuff in the forums here if you take the time to study up on stuff. Also ,thanks bods,camera probably would work if you could clean the oil of the teeth where the marks are.
Cheers everyone.

Glad to hear it's all sorted. .. I hate it when a simple jobs ends up like that.....

Thanks bods, just one thing i forgot to mention. Use really good quality gasket silastic. Oil is going to be your biggest enemy trying to clean all surfaces for re-sealing. I ended up wiping everything down with a some automotive thinners on the alloy and steel surfaces. It softens old silicon and removes all traces of it and leaves a dry, oil free surface. But be careful with it around rubber and plastic.
Cheers and thanks again everyone.

timing gears

Sorry about the late reply,all done now. Had to pull the whole timing cover off.
Pretty straight forward but took two days. Took the studs out of the waterpump,to get it of.Just screw them out with two nuts locked together and screw them back in. Didn't have to drop the sump,just took out the front five bolts to relieve a bit of pressure. Take notice of the Bolt locations, they are different lenghts. You must lock the idler gear together with a bolt or screwdriver of appropriate size before you remove pump gear. There is a plug located below the idler gear in the housing. Use all new o-rings and gaskets,there is only four or five. If you find yourself in this situation,it can be done but take your time. I could have saved myself three days work by tripple checking the timing marks at the start. Lot of good stuff in the forums here if you take the time to study up on stuff. Also ,thanks bods,camera probably would work if you could clean the oil of the teeth where the marks are.
Cheers everyone.

Hi twobob

I just read your thread and just hoping I could get some advice. I'm planning to do my timing chain and just wanted to know the best way to go about it . Do I need to get all timing marks lined up and on tdc? Or do I just have to worry about locking up the idler gear and then just make some marks on the chain and sprockets? Any help would be very appreciative.

you should line up all marks / dots to all cogs plus line up the chain colour dots to these marks. yes all set at tdc.

Latest posts

Back