Loud rattle when cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know diesel are meant to have a little rattle to them.
But is there anything you can do for it?
It doesnt rattle every time it's cold but when it does it's pretty loud and only goes away once warm.
It's most noticable when accelerating between 1-2k rpms
I do oil and fuel changes every 5-10k depending on money in the bank and how ita been driven

They're not as bad as the old rodeos with the Isuzu motor in them haha, they were nasty.

Mine is a lot quieter since changing the exhaust, it's not just from the extra noise of the exhaust either haha. It is not bad when cold if you're gentle with it when accelerating, but used to be a lot louder with the factory exhaust.

Some people recommend putting 2 stroke oil in when you put fuel in to help make injectors quieter, the 10ppm sulphur diesel we use now has a lot less lubrication qualities than the older fuels, but the components should be designed with that in mind. Some say the 2 stroke helps, I can't say either way as I've never used it.

Haha yeah cheers for the reply,
I pretty much just "nurse" it if it having a bad morning till it warms up and plays the game.
Don't know how I feel about adding 2t oil into a common rail i can see the benefits but seems a little odd imo.
It can stay in my 250s tank haha

While this may sound odd, next time you have a rattle, spray your belts and pulleys with water, if the sound goes away then you have found your problem.

Had the same issue with my 22, everyone said Timing Chain, used to tick loudly when it I had been through water.

I know the belt tensioner can cause loud rattles when it's starting to let go.

Also your glow plugs could be worn and when the engines cold your not getting enough cylinder temperature and your not getting a good clean burn, just an idea.

Latest posts

Back