Patrol ZD30 intercooler on D22 Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Okay guys,

So I cant do a FMIC as I have an 80 series airbox so that means my only other option is a TMIC. I have seen some homemade versions but they are all super squishy and often cover the oil cap which is a pain in the ass for servicing.

So what I want to do is a fit a GU TMIC to my D22. I found a guy with a couple of ZD30 DI patrol engines lying around (easy to find cos they blow up haha) and he gave me all the gear I needed for $100 so that is a good start. I got the patrol air intake manifold with bolts, throttle body, intake manifold EGR pipe, solenoid bracket and hard heater lines. I then plan to buy an aftermarket welded intercooler as I know the stock patrol OEM ones leak like a sieve. Also need to buy a GU bonnet scoop and cut that into my bonnet

So basically all I need to buy buy an aftermarket cooler, from what I can see there are two main variants.

1.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Upgrade-...158723?hash=item35f3b78a83:g:wSQAAOSwhcJWIJfp
2.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOP-MOUN...30-GU30DI-T-/331667045686?hash=item4d38e57d36

Now both these items are from the same seller, and obviously ship out of china. Number 2 has the extra bit of piping incorporated into the design and also tabs to attach a fan underneath it. Number one looks better quality but doesnt have the bit of extra piping, I dont have one of those yet so that is problem for me, still trying to source one.

Now I have been recomended to buy from an australian company which advise not to buy china imports http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-P...9bb5bc1&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=181949905951 however as you can see it looks identical to the chinese other ebay number 1, so it seems a bit hypocritical unless they are producing an identical unit to one made in china, which I highly doubt haha

Other noteworthy thing to consider is that forefront sell the same ebay chinese cooler as number 1 http://www.forefrontindustries.com....1/gu-patrol-zd30-di-97-07-intercooler-upgrade
HPD and Berrima Diesel sell the same ebay cooler number 2
Berrima http://www.berrimadiesel.com/eshop/nissan patrol gu-zd30-intercooler
HPD http://hpdiesel.com.au/zd30-patrol/...oler-upgrade?zenid=j9kjd2o7ms6jo9v5orcdjmk0u1

The berrima and HPD even use the same photo haha.

It is worth mentioning that all these coolers look decent quality and claim to be fully tig welded and pressure tested to approx 60 psi. However, I have never bought or worked with intercoolers so I need opinions from others who have done this before me. If I get the stock cooler pipes from somewhere I would likely go with forefront as he has a good rep on this forum, but the easiness of the full kit from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-P...678563?hash=item1c5c7b7323:g:kWMAAOSwwbdWQD~R makes it tempting as all the new piping is supplied, plus you get the bonus fan, not sure if the fan makes much difference though as stock the patrol dont come with them.

Other thing I have just noticed is that the ebay cooler number 1 appears to have a dimension of the core, the cores size for ebay cooler 1 is 172x250x65mm. And the corse size for cooler 2 is 280x300x76mm. Larger should mean better cooling efficiency

I'd say they would all be made in the same factory, whether the ones that are sold by shops here are tested when they arrive and "touched up" before sale if need be, I'd imagine they just put a different sticker on it and sell it on...

The fans do apparently help a lot on the patrols, mainly for slow 4wding where you don't get any airflow over the core. As for the size, as long as you have physical room to fit the bigger one, I'd go with that as it will be more efficient.

a few things.
are you sure it will even fit under the bonnet?
navara inlet manifold is considered a bit better than the patrol version.
patrol had different turbo and turbo manifold. turbo outlet might be different than navara one.

Absolutely sure I have been getting advice off a guy from the Facebook page who has done it successfully. I'll try to attach some pics

uploadfromtaptalk1449305186056.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449305190726.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449305194810.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449305200711.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449305204636.jpg

a few things.
are you sure it will even fit under the bonnet?
navara inlet manifold is considered a bit better than the patrol version.
patrol had different turbo and turbo manifold. turbo outlet might be different than navara one.

Tweake, my biggest problem is my fuel fitler is on the opposite side to stock so I may have to remove the cooler everytime I change a fuel filter, not too bad, but is a downside.

The patrol inlet manifold is identical to the D22 one just the throttle body is moved back by a couple of inches. The turbo outlet is in virtually the same postion.

Biggest issues I am facing so far. You need to cut off a useless tube and seal off the patrol heater piping, cutting a hole in the bonnet and fitting a scoop, need to weld up a new dipstick bracket.

Last edited:
going by the pics they have also changed the rocker cover.
bu the IC is not in the stock patrol position. i can't see the point of changing everything else when its not going to be in that position.

the rear pistons failures on the patrol tend to get partly blamed on the inlet manifold as it tends to feed the rear pistons more (or more egr).

Yeah my EGR is blocked so that doesn't really bother me. Yes the rocker/tappet cover I have and is a simple swap over to do.

Also I will have a play with it. Maybe I could just move the solenoid bracket and vac lines etc and stick with the navara manifold and postentially tappet cover. As moving the vac lines and solenoids should free up a nice bit of space for the cooler. The I can look at doing a custom mount for the rear mount. I have also read what you say about the patrol manifold. But given my EGR system is not being used surely that would negate that from the equation

Also I have just noticed that the larger of two coolers I have been talking about may not be usable in the d22 as it is like 100mm larger /longer meaning it would get very close to the power steering and brake fluid reservoirs. So I need to find that little bit which attaches to the stock cooler. And the smaller cooler is likely the best option for me

Last edited:
Why do you say it isn't in the stock patrol position? It mounts to the solenoid bracket at the front by two bolts and one bolt on the rear to a bracket on the manifold. It looks like it sits further left as in the patrol the engine bay is wider and there is more space on that side.
that could be why i'm getting mixed up. i thought it sat more central. or thinking of the CRD ZD30.

Yep the CRD version sits way more in the middle. And going on the logic that my EGR system is blocked up and non-existant I shouldn't have the problems of EGR soot caking up ports 3 and 4 which is where most of the pistons fail on the zd30. I almost have everything I just need to find a scoop, some contention as to whether the original GU scoop was big enough/had a big enough mouth so I may end up going a slightly larger mouth scoop like off a hilux

Latest posts

Back