My D 40 and diesel economy. First test results in.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyOne

Reaction score
On my last trip in the Navara D 40 we got new in June '09, from Emerald Q down to Bundaberg, I left with a full tank and filled up at 530kms which took only 36 litres. One of the guys at our work figured it out to be doing 6.8 Litres per 100kms with the cruise set on 110 where that is legal or close around 100 where the limit is 100;-). Magic to drive on those longer runs. Can't see I will ever need the six stacker as the mp3 CD I have in the slot has 157 'tunes' on it. Took a couple of runs to get used to the six speed manual but now it sings my song. Could never go back to a wagon or sedan now. Ruined for life but I love it.

Last edited:
6.8L?? that seems to be too good to be true...if so thats awesum. i get approx 750km to a tank around the city "townsville (not that busy)" still happy with that..i do sometimes change around 4k revs sometimes tho ;-)

redbook advises:

Fuel Urban (l/100km) 10.4
Fuel Extra Urban (l/100km) 8.5
Fuel Combined (l/100km) 9.2

so ur doing pretty alrite

Last edited:
6.8 is better than most can claim. There is plenty of claims that over a certain distance some cars just improve their economy over night so I'm hoping when I get to that magical figure my 9's drop to 6's too, although I'm not that hopeful.

The best I can get is an 11 in mine, but extra weight and bigger tyres don't help. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so on my holiday.

The best I can get is an 11 in mine, but extra weight and bigger tyres don't help. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so on my holiday.

You'll be right according to the map Brissie to Canberra is all downhill. Unless you hold it upside down which might be an idea for the way home.

There you go, believing the map makers, who are primarily biased towards the northern hemisphere.

It is a scientific fact that the southern hemisphere is uppermost and all maps should be inverted. You should say "Down north" and "Up south".

For proof, you could read a bunch of scientific journals for years, or just tune in - for only 5 minutes - to Jerry Springer.

For proof, you could read a bunch of scientific journals for years, or just tune in - for only 5 minutes - to Jerry Springer.

Surely that is only applicable if the map's creator slept with his brothers sisters, uncles, nephews second cousin.

Surely that is only applicable if the map's creator slept with his brothers sisters, uncles, nephews second cousin.

Wait for it........slapslapslapslapkickkickkickpunchpunchpunchpullpullpullscratchscratchscratch, then, stevestevestevestevestevesteve!

Honestly thats what i remember, i havn't watched it for years.

Mine seems to have gone the other way. I used to get around 800km's per tank (freeway and city use) now it seems to be pushing 680-700 when reserve tank light comes on.....Same use.....

It is due for a service but that seems to be a big drop in k's

Wait for it........slapslapslapslapkickkickkickpunchpunchpunchpullpullpullscratchscratchscratch, then, stevestevestevestevestevesteve!

Honestly thats what i remember, i havn't watched it for years.

Where is all the beep beep beep beep because the delicate souls that love watching that show are to precious to let the naughty words pass their ears?

Are you more of an Oprah Fan?

Gordon Ramsay takes the cake with the beep beep beeping.
Oprah? Whats that? lol.

Spoken like a true closet Oprah fan.

I've just completed all my fuel figures for the trip from Home to Perth and around Perth for 3 weeks to give me something to compare the return trip too and going tank by tank the best was 9.2 per 100 and the highest being 11.3. The average for the trip so far based on all tanks is 10.3 which isn't quite as good as I was hoping for but considering the vehicle isn't that old and considering what some are suggesting their figures are I'm still rather happy with it all.

The competition is now on to see if I can better the return trip figures.

Spoken like a true closet Oprah fan.

I've just completed all my fuel figures for the trip from Home to Perth and around Perth for 3 weeks to give me something to compare the return trip too and going tank by tank the best was 9.2 per 100 and the highest being 11.3. The average for the trip so far based on all tanks is 10.3 which isn't quite as good as I was hoping for but considering the vehicle isn't that old and considering what some are suggesting their figures are I'm still rather happy with it all.

The competition is now on to see if I can better the return trip figures.

hey krafty do u have an auto?

hey krafty do u have an auto?

Yeah mines an auto.

yeah my ute is still pushing to get 500km til reserve comes on bout 550km 75litres

According to scangauge my light comes on between 6 and 7 litres left. I suspect a slight discrepancy between the scangauge and the fuel tank but it's only a few litres so it's not a huge issue for me, however I'm not going to test out which one is closest to right in a hurry, with 5 litres left I know I can get to any servo around home.

this is an interesting thread, with those 800+ tank figures, were these taken from the standard speedo readings, or using something more accurate like a scangauge?

dan

I can't speak for everyone here but my readings are based on fuel used and kilometers traveled and then compared to the scangauge results. Just like speedos can't be trusted for 100% accuracy neither can scangauge, thats not to say scangauge is inaccurate it actually quite good when set up right but you do have to remember scangauge is still going to work on averages for its calculations where as doing the maths yourself based on distance and litres will give you a tank by tank figure.

Of course if your speedo is out chances are your odo is out and that calculation needs to be taken into account too. When driving the LPH readings of a scangauge are not entirely accurate based on the economy gained from a full tank of fuel and do little else other than warn you that your right foot is down further than it needs to be. However when used in conjunction with my GPS's I have been able to confirm that the distance traveled and the speed on the scangauge is fairly close to accurate and therefore can use that calculation if I don't trust the odo which I know is out.

I traveled from the Gold Coast to Noosa with a howling northerly head wind and averaged 8.1l/100... Going home returned 7.5lt/100, but I was pushing it and overtaking a lot..

Best I have ever average for a trip is 6.5l/100, Gold coast too Brisbane
Best average for the tank is 8.3l/100..

Bloody good numbers for an DT Auto

Latest posts

Back