550 gearbox slipping/ engine surge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did you fix the problem? My navara drive the same as yours on that video clip. I can't find solution for that problem.

nope havnt found the problem,the service centre replaced the throttle body ,and also took apart the egr and cleaned all that,reset and set g sensor ,and a few other sensors but yer problem still exists,ive givin up on it for now ...i installed a pedal torque as well..

basho when did you notice the problem,i wish there was a fix,im thinking a split in a hose maybe,no one wants to spend any time on it..

I still haven't had time to investigate and I'm not wasting money on nissan to come back with nothing as I have all the data on the car that they do. I'm about 2000k's away from hitting 80000k's in the nav and will be "flushing" the auto trans fluid in the box. Will let you guys know if it helps in mine.

So new intercooler/ fuel filter,g sensor calibrated,New throttle body,also added a catch can ,but still same problem .sux ass..

Could be long shot. But the video that u post at start looks like the pressure converter problem they have. I'm unshore I'm not a mechanic. I don't know bout all the codes that you have coming up.

Pulled egr off and cleaned it,also cleaned maf,and changed my tranny fluid wich was filthy,egr was a bit of a bitch to get to,need a 8 mm ratchet spanner for the bottom right bolt,also a trany change...

Last edited:
Ok guys quick question if there's anyone left on this forum,when I'm cruising anywhere from 0-80 give or take,and I back my foot off,mine just drops to idle,untill I place my foot back down,it finds where it's at...is that normal? Speed sensor possibly? Cheers

well when i get my 550 back tomorrow (distorted the auto oil pan because of a crappy after market gasket) I'll see if mine does, from memory it happens sometimes, but I never took note if I backed off or got completely off it.

My 2014 doesn't do that, it just behaves as you would expect, slows down gradually while the transmission stays in gear.

I find it reverts to idle when it's cold, first couple of minutes driving. Then it only does it when you slow down and get under 30km or so...

Is yours doing it at full warm up?

Did you end up using Matic S? I've not got mine back on the road and found the oil change did not resolve the surging but it shifts much more positive now, the oil was terrible. I'll be changing it now every 40000-50000km's. All thought my mesh filter was completely clean and clear and looking back at it now I could have saved myself alot of time and money by just flushing it but wouldn't have known that without taking the pan off.

EDIT: I am referring back to the earliest posts on here. The auto seeming to lock up or unlock just either side of 60KMH is pretty much normal. The tiniest sniff over 60kmh puts it in the next gear, dropping below 60 drops it back again, exactly the same in my wifes 550. I can't recall which gear it is, but it would be easy enough to tell. Pop it into manual mode and at 55kmh or so, ask for upshifts until it wont go any higher, go up to just over 60 and it will then give you the next gear.

Silly programming IMO, bang on a common as muck speed limit is a stupid point to program a shift. And it needs more hysteresis, if it shifted up at 65 and back down again at 55 it would be much less intrusive.

it is interesting to see a few people noting them being slow into gear on some cold starts, my wifes has been like that since new, but given it did it maybe once in 20 cold starts I never even bothered saying anything to the dealers about it while it was in warranty.

Last edited:
It's not a shift thought its only the change of 250rpm which is only slight but annoying plus it can't be doing any favors for the gearbox.

Latest posts

Back