parts crossover between years

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seapotato

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so a couple weeks ago I picked up a 1989 4 door nissan truck, for a pretty good price up here in canada. (I'm a little further north than most of you, but this looked like an informative board) Having a bugger of a time finding a manual for the truck as well.

Near as I can tell the TD27 was never sold up here , except maybe in forklifts, we also never got any 4 door pickups other than toyota tacomas, which are $$$$.

So I'm not 100% I'll be keeping the truck long term, I've always been more of a landcruiser guy, but it was one of those deals I couldn't pass up despite it's issues.

So far, the worst issue is rough starts, which might only be the glow plugs as the timer setup wasn't working ( switching to manual push button setup. More my speed,) Or it could be air getting in or a dodgy pump, or just a dodgy engine.

Haven't had time to really check into it yet. it fires instantly and idles, but doesn't much care to be revved up for a couple minutes. Farts and pops and smokes if you do. Runs great once it's warmed up, other than black smoke if I'm impatient with it on the road.

So what I'm really wondering, because the td27 version wasn't sold here, does much cross over with the older diesels ( the 85 ish nissans aren't that uncommon) or the gas version? (tons of them, cheap like dirt)

It's much easier to go into the parts store and ask for a part for a truck that was sold here, a lot of them shake their heads and get pissy when you say it's a JDM.

Does a clutch kit crossover to a petrol version, or transmission?thermostat(think I definitely need a tstat)

Worst case scenario I could yank out the diesel and put in the much more common petrol engine but I'd rather not. If it came to that I'd probably just sell it and move on to something else.

For what I paid for it, I can easily get my money back out of it and then some , so I'm not hugely worried.

Well that was kinda wandering and long winded, but you get the picture...:blasign:

cheers,
Ryan

i think the regulars are all quiet due to either not knowing, or general absence!

consider this a free bump for your thread - i have no ideas mate :)

i think the regulars are all quiet due to either not knowing, or general absence!

consider this a free bump for your thread - i have no ideas mate :)

Thanks man..

I'm just trying to source a thermostat at the moment. We've just had a decent dump of snow and it would be nice if the heater worked!

I'm having a bugger of a time even finding a part number for the damn thing. Thermostats are pretty generic, so I'm sure it fits 40 different vehicles, if I can find one of those that was sold here, I'm golden.

There's a "JDM Parts" dealer who sells the tstat for 40 bucks, but I'm pretty sure there's some mark up there...( and it would be a week wait to get it, he's not that close)

Part number I've found is 21200-58G04(anyone know if that's correct? ) but what I'd like to find is a Stant or Gates part number that corresponds to that...

Sunday, and roads are buried in snow so I won't be doing anything about it today. Just not looking forward to getting up at 4am all week and driving to work in this muck with no heat!

cheers,
ryan

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Can't find a gates catalogue from here, but I can give measurements which may help...

According to the specs on a common aftermarket brand we can get here in Australia, the sizes are...

Flange diameter 54mm
Foot diameter 29mm
Height from flange to bottom of foot 31mm

Maybe that will help you cross reference to another brand...?

The brand is Tridon, part number is TT233-180

I'll see if I can find any other info

Maybe this will help a bit? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ST17-180...-2-7L-4-Cyl-TD27-Diesel-1988-98-/251296658833

Looks like the stant part number is st17-180. Suits some Mitsubishi and Mazda's too by the looks of it.. Hope that helps a bit

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Can't find a gates catalogue from here, but I can give measurements which may help...

According to the specs on a common aftermarket brand we can get here in Australia, the sizes are...

Flange diameter 54mm
Foot diameter 29mm
Height from flange to bottom of foot 31mm

Maybe that will help you cross reference to another brand...?

The brand is Tridon, part number is TT233-180

I'll see if I can find any other info

Maybe this will help a bit? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ST17-180...-2-7L-4-Cyl-TD27-Diesel-1988-98-/251296658833

Looks like the stant part number is st17-180. Suits some Mitsubishi and Mazda's too by the looks of it.. Hope that helps a bit

Awesome thankyou!

I'll give those a try today and see how the parts drones make out.

Just got a dump of snow here, so it'd be nice if the heater worked !

Cheers,
Ryan

How'd you go? Probably have them on the shelf, lol

If they don't do a generic gasket to suit them, you can get some silicon gasket maker and that works quite well too... I had to do that with a previous car on the whole thermostat housing as I couldn't get gaskets when I needed them....

How'd you go? Probably have them on the shelf, lol

If they don't do a generic gasket to suit them, you can get some silicon gasket maker and that works quite well too... I had to do that with a previous car on the whole thermostat housing as I couldn't get gaskets when I needed them....

Well, kindiof a yes and no. lol.

I got a good parts guy who didn't mind doing some digging, the numbers didn't work here ( who knows why.)

So, he googled that part number st17-180, saw that it fit an rx-7 mazda (which is common here ) and grabbed me a tstat for that.

Funny , I put the tstats in a pot of water to check if the old one worked, and it did pop open, and only a few degrees before the new one.

Anyways, popped it in ( and yep, gasket sealer is my friend too) and I actually had heat on the way to work this morning. Needle right in the middle of the gauge instead of below the bottom line on the "C"

That's why it's always a bit of a pain in the arse with JDM's here. Even if you find a good part number, they don't correspond half the time.

Now onto the next issue...(I need to make my startup's just a smidge less embarrassing...:smokin:

Thanks for the help!

Easing the statups

Good Morning Seapotatoe,
Have you bothered to clean out your "Watercatchment Filter", Air cleaner element,
and replaced the Fuel Filter, plus the Fuel-floe as well, This is all cheap hands-on
maintenance which is often overlooked by most of us at some time or another,
also check the Fuellines for cracks that might suck a little air, which could have Her starting and running like a Chaffcutter!

Regards,
highway man!:deadhorse2:

I missed this bit!

Me again Seapotatoe,

Battery is another thing we all hate replacing, check it out so you can put this behind you as well, This Motor needs to spin over for a good quick startup, You
need all she can take to help any Diesel to start as we all hope and expect!

If It Is grunting to turn over it needs testing at least!

regards,
Highway Man.:deadhorse2:

Latest posts

Back