Oh dear! Oil on turbo pipe!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that's the outlet from the turbo and slight oil leakage is usually normal. It could be an idea to remove, clean and reinstall the hose so that it gets a good seal if you are concerned about it, and fit an oil catch can.

As said.

Looking by that there is a good chance your intercooler has a fair amount of oil residue in it as well.

It would be beneficial to remove and internally clean the oil build up inside the intercooler. If your handy on the tools it's a relatively easy job to do.

If you haven't done an EGR block it may be something worth considering to. Keep in mind this mod is illegal. However it does stop the carbonized exhaust gasses mixing with the oil mist suspended in the charge air that over time makes a real mess of your inlet manifold.

As above. Oil leaking from the air hoses between turbocharger -> intercooler -> intake may also mean a loss of boost pressure = a loss of performance.

I cleaned my intercooler with ordinary petrol. I poured a small amount in while covering one opening, then closed my hand over the other and inverted the intercooler several times to let the petrol run through all of the tubes.

Took mine 5 goes to start coming out red (the colour of the petrol I used). I left the intercooler sitting in the sun, opening upwards, for about an hour after to make sure the petrol had all evaporated before reinstallation.

thanks for the replies.......... the stain doesn't seem to have increased since I first noticed it....and I'm going to my local man tomorrow. i'm not sure how much he knows about turbos - but with the amount of pickups in this country, it shouldn't be a blank to him.
Armed with your suggestions, I'll see if I can get him to carry out your ideas.

BTW - can you see the photos OK?

shares-Eq8942

I've fixed the reference in the original posts to point to the two images that were shared with us. My response is still the same - clean and reclamp the hose to remove any chance of boost leak and clean the intercooler.

i hope I haven't double posted.
Can someone tell me the cause of this....i have oil appearing on this pipe - is it inlet or outlet???
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13496163@N04/shares/Eq8942

what should I do??? Panic?

OK...I have the same problem.

I took it to Nissan who say that the pipe needs to be replaced as there is a special seal where that pipe joins to the metal. It is apparently non fixable.

Now for the good bit....
The Nissan spare part (*the hose and clamps) is well over 300 dollars!!!!!

On my D40 the hose on the other side from the intercooler up is also weeping oil. The clamps are as tight as they can go. Again a new hose is recommended, and this is 90 bucks!!!!!!

The hits just keep on coming!

**** them. If the pipes look in good condition just remove, clean and replace. Or go aftermarket.
They all do it, its not even a boost leak, just seepage over time.

OK...I have the same problem.

I took it to Nissan who say that the pipe needs to be replaced as there is a special seal where that pipe joins to the metal. It is apparently non fixable.

Now for the good bit....
The Nissan spare part (*the hose and clamps) is well over 300 dollars!!!!!

On my D40 the hose on the other side from the intercooler up is also weeping oil. The clamps are as tight as they can go. Again a new hose is recommended, and this is 90 bucks!!!!!!

The hits just keep on coming!

What a load of crap, "special seal" just close the bonnet and keep on driving, or if it really bugs you,buy a can of $3 degreaser.

I have been doing a bit of web browsing on this intercooler pipe business, and it seems that it is a very well known problem.
There are a number of after market suppliers that manufacture solid steel pipes and fixtures to replace the rubber hoses.
There are also some you tube videos showing how to do it, etc.
This might be an option, as it is certainly cheaper than the Nissan replacement.

^ the main thing to concern yourself with when using a metal pipe is that the pipes have 'lips' - ridges around the end of the pipe over which the hose needs to be forced. This is so that once clamped, the hose simply can't just slip off - it's happened. 20psi might not seem like a lot, but it's enough.

Yep. 20psi on a 2.5" pipe is.. pi r square.. bla bla... about 100lb of force longitudinally not counting the force trying to balloon the hose. Basically need to be able to swing an 11 year old boy off of it.

Latest posts

Back