Flare Extension for wide tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
Anyone running wider than standard tyres? I'm thinking about getting some flares as the patrol rims I am using make the tyres sticks out a bit more and I don't want any more stone chips than what I already have. Is there anything available other than the flexiflares or garden edging? Cheers.

A set of flares from Arctic Trucks look completely horn, but nobody in Aus has imported them from Iceland that I know of, not sure whether anyone has even tried to import them.

i got prices from arctic trucks a while ago.....cant find the email but its over a grand.

It's a bit late... But have a look at a company called bushwacker. They have a set for the navara (frontier) and are around US$400. Now that the Ozzie dollar is .96 it would be a good buy. I had a set on my wrangler. Quiality is very good. These will give you extra 1/2 inch of coverage.

Only for the D40 I think.

71906.jpg

so has anyone actually chased up anything for the d22 or is it as simple as its to expensive to get here in australia ?

A grand for the arctic trucks flares isnt bad if thats for all 4, bit steep for each corner though.

found these d40 flares on fleebay. not sure how much i like them, but at $115 for the set and $79 postage, its not bad. if you want to run a big offset and 33's and want to keep it looking legal they could be a solution.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-N...Accessories&hash=item2eb2f47b49#ht_585wt_1141

I did a little writeup on these over on the US Fronty forum, read onward from this post, they provide about 1" of extra coverage:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/bushwacker-flares-51806/index2.html#post914548
71629d05.jpg

1e504177.jpg

901fb2d3.jpg

Last edited:
well there you go, its good to see someone that has actually fitted them.
im liking the black grill and rear bumper. been thinking of doing it to my cosmic black ST.
how did you go about putting the air intake flutes in your guard? or is that an after market guard? how did you get the flares to go so neatly around your intake flutes? also how do think they would fit if you run a safari snorkel or even a stock nissan snorkel for that matter? im thinking thats what the cut out in the flares is for.......??

Last edited:
The gills were cut and beaten by hand out of the original metal fender. I did purchase an ABS plastic intake of the same shape initially, and I intended to have that cut and bonded in, but the guys at my bodyshop were sure that they could reproduce the same shape by hand out of the fender's original sheetmetal.

The flare (also ABS) was cut reformed around the intake with a heatgun.

Is there anything available other than the flexiflares or garden edging?

Flare extensions (shaped fibreglass spacer to go between the panel and OEM flare - end result ~100mm wider) would be one of the products developed as part of the kit discussed in here: http://www.navara.asia/d22-suspension-steering/9038-eoi-d22-d21-ifs-air-strut-kit.html and would of course be available separately.

Register your interest (in just the flares if you want) in that thread to make it happen.

Alright well while I'm working on the compliance details for the long travel kit, I might as well make a start on the flares.

So what do people want?

How wide?

Would you prefer a spacer so you can keep your factory flare on the outside, or a complete replacement a la Arctic Trucks? Complete replacement would be easier (ie cheaper).

The flares will be vac-formed 5-6mm ABS plastic (not fibreglass - too expensive to mass produce), so they can be ripped off, abused, run into and still just be picked up and clipped back on. The flares will come with a whole set of spare clips. Using bolts just causes expensive damage, better for the flare to give in or fall off if you're going to love trees.

Since they are ABS plastic they will need to be painted or they will die in the sun, so they will come in adhesion helper primer for your body shop, or black if you have a DX or don't want colour-coded.

If doing complete replacements, since the flare line continues into the bumper, I'll bring the flare back in right at the front to meet the bumper so that bumpers and bullbars don't look weird.

Here's your chance to make a wishlist.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be go up in inch sizes that's going off what I have seen people make there flare extensions in

Dion, RE the flares
I'd say go with the cheapest option, the complete replacement sounds good!

Width wise, if it is financially viable 25mm increments up to about 100mm would be the way to go as Patt said.
If you can only produce one or two sizes i'd go with one 50mm extra (should cover most peoples needs), and one size to fit your long control arm kit you are planning.
Ps. I cant beleive its taken this long for someone to do this, i rekon your on to a winner if you can get em out at a reasonable price!
Cheers, James

100mm is a big flare! I'd have thought 50mm over stock would have done.

Good idea, nothing worse than the bodgy black rubber strip just tek screwed on

Dion
I think that a 50mm flare would be the one. keen to get some as im sick of filling my car with sand when driving on the sand with the back windows down.

Cheers

full replacement would be great.
its about time someone has done this.

25mm increments if possible.
if not i think about 65mm (like the bushranger flares) wider would be a good size.

I'm putting a thermoplastic oven together at the moment. It'll be a while before I'm producing as I have to make molds as well.

Back