D40 Lift guide and solving problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LthLDC

Reaction score
Basically we get this question a lot. I asked it when I joined up and it gets asked repeatedly so I thought I would compile the information (in what is hopefully) to a easy to read and understand explanation of lifting our D40's. I don't know it all so please correct me and we can amend this together to be informative.

I am not getting into shock brands, coil brands, leafs or shackles. There is enough information on packages. Good brands often are reflected in the price, this isnt to say a cheaper version is no good but you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

If you want a no bull dust discussion on what you need for your purpose and budget I'd recommend contacting zordos suspension. Great bloke and has many on the forum that would swear by him as I do. This isn't a plug for John but when I was first looking for a lift, he was the only person who could explain the lack of camber adjustment from the factory, how and why it will effect my lift and what can be done about it. He also had the best prices on a wide range of suspension brands vs retail suspension shops quotes.

Other suspension shops told me they never heard of the issue, some told me there is nothing that can be done about it and others told me what I already knew on how to fix it but at a cost(and massive profit to them). I will say however Pedders did provide good information on the topic, honest pricing and the best customer service out of the shops I contacted. I have since gone back and had work done with them and I am very happy with it but being a franchise this could vary store to store.

Back on topic... I'll start with the suspension options available then we will talk about the positive camber problem and what can be done about it. LCA offset bushes, UCA's and everything in between. Feel free to elaborate better explanations I am bad at explaining things.

So you want a 2" or bigger lift. There are a lot of options and I'll go through the pro's and con's of what is available so when you look at a package you know what your getting into. After installing any type of lift, A wheel alignment is necessary, I'd have one booked for the same day or next available day you have after the lift is complete.

Spacers and Shackles.

d40-econo-kit-s2.jpg

Basically these kits include a spacer that is inserted between the coil cap and strut housing to compress the coil spring for more ride height, often sold with extended shackles+rear shocks and sometimes with new leafs + rear shocks, U-bolts + bushes. These can be picked up very cheap but i am positive spacers are illegal to use. A spacer can also be used under the rear leaf pack but will require longer U-Bolts.

These packages come in mixed and matched sorts and are aimed at capturing a budget market. Aside from the illegal strut spacer if this suits your budget and you don't do a lot of off roading maybe some light dirt tracks but just want extra clearance or ride height its an option to explore.

Pro's: Cheap and easy to install
Con's: Spacers are illegal
Retaining factory front shock assembly and leaf pack sometimes
Less suspension travel from the coil overs
Possibility of coilover bucket to upper control arm contact (a metal clang noise when hitting speed bumps or during suspension travel off road)
You may end up with positive camber

Full coil-over + rear suspension upgrade

D40-X-Flex-stage5-6.jpg

These kits include front shocks, coils, leafs, rear shocks, shackles, bushes and U-Bolts mostly. Some also include extended brake lines which is a good idea to upgrade during the lift. Most kits do not include an assembled coil over. You may be required to remove your coil hat to complete the front shock assembly and with out a good pair of spring compressors this can be a dangerous task.

If your installing the kit your self I recommend buying a GOOD set of spring compressors designed for 4wd coils. OR if you are able after removing your shocks, take the new shocks and old shocks to a suspension shop and ask them how much to assemble it for you. These kits are the most common upgrades available. If you have a bullbar or are looking to put a bullbar or whinch on HD coils are what you need. Also if you carry a lot on the back looking at a set of HD leafs with a GVM upgrade would be advisable.

Pro's: Improvement on factory suspension (Most of the time)
More suspension travel
Ability to run upto 32" inch tires with minimal or no rubbing (some people run 33"s no worries some have rubbing it all depends on your lift height and if you trim/massage the gaurds)
Reasonably priced
You can make your own package to suit your needs by buying parts individually

Con's: You may end up with positive camber
If you used HD coils or leafs and don't have a load on the front or back the suspension will feel rather harsh
Brake lines may need upgrading if your kit didn't include any

Another option is the Dropped diff kits.

np17500.jpg

These typically advertise as 5" or more lift kits. They work by adding a dropped bracket for the differential to rest on to correct the CV angles, replacement steering knuckles, and relocated mounting hardware. Most can also be used with a suspension lift as well. These are more expensive and install is slightly more difficult compared to a regular suspension install.

Pro's: Big lift
Ability to run bigger tires/wheels
Will turn heads
Better CV angles

Con's: Expensive
Difficult to install
Does not give more under body clearance vs a suspension lift due to the differential being lowered
Requires engineering (I believe not 100% sure)

Positive camber problems!

TBC Bed time for now

Positive Camber Problems

Positive Camber Problems

Best discribed by Aussie in another thread...

Some trucks came with adjusters most didnt. It will all depend on how good your camber is now as to how bad it will be when lifted.
There are various ways of adjusting camber. You can install offset bush's in either upper or lower control arms.That starts at around $150 plus fitting.
Or then you can go as far as after market Upper Control Arms.That can run you a lot more
It will all come down to how much you wish to spend and what you want to use the truck for

Most of us have run into positive camber when lifting our Navara's and there are a few ways to fix this if you did not have any adjustment, or didn't have enough adjustment after your wheel alignment.

Upper control arms (UCA's)
Replacing the factory upper control arm often gives the best results, it will need to be engineered I believe. There is a few companies making UCA's atm mostly found overseas ie PRG Calmini etc. Sossel on this forum also was making some upper control arms I believe, may still beable to do them if u contact him. Monster Rides is also currently developing some Upper control arms but recommend and sell another aftermarket set atm. These control arms also are designed to clear the shock housing and avoid the clanging on the control arm. The adjustable ones should also give you an extra 2-3 Degree of adjustment on the camber and caster.

Another Aussie quote with good information.

Thats for the pair .The big differance is that the PRG units are fully adjustable where the Calmini isnt .There is also the Total Chaos arms too
Total Chaos arms
TC-Nissan%20Front%20XT.jpg

Calmini Arms
NP17570fs1.jpg

PRG Arms
productimage-picture-prg_frontier_upper_control_arms-3985.jpg

TC and PRG appear to be the best build quality but the onlyone with adjustability is the PRG.
You will notice some similarities between the TC and PRG arms in design and use of the Uniball. The 2 companies used to be close shall we say and thats a long long story.

I had a heap of trouble trying to get mine engineered at first. I litterally had to go from shop to shop with the arms trying to find someone to look at them. Most engineers would not even look at them because of the use of heim joints stating that no heim joints are legal in Aus. Funny how some models of Fords use Heim or Spherical bearing joints in the rear .Eventually I found an Engineer who was willing to have a look and as it turns out he owned a Navara D40 so he knew exactly what he was looking at.
I dare say he isnt the only one and there will be at least one somewhere in Vic.If someone wants to try I am willing to get all the info you will need on materials used etc and tech specs on all components. My engineer stated that the PRG is very much stronger than the stock arms

Bushes for Lower control arms and Upper control arms

$(KGrHqN,!gsE8pHJOvzgBP(G,J!9p!~~60_12.JPG

Another option is UCA offset bushes and LCA offset bushes, these bushes are often made with an offset inner tube which has the mounting point offset again. Some are adjustable some are not so make sure you know what you are buying. Lower control arm bushes come in a set of 4, the two bushes at the front of the control arm adjust the camber mostly and the two at the back of the control arm adjust the caster more. The Lower control arm bushes provide slightly less adjust-ability to camber then the upper control arms (Again from what i have gathered this is true). Upper control arms provide the second best camber adjustment after aftermarket UCA's them selfs. I am not 100% sure if you can get adjustable UCA bushes however I am still digging up information on this.

What you will require to bring your camber back to 0 really depends on how much positive camber you have after the lift. If its less then 1 degree you may only need a set of bushes, if you have added a spacer to your 2" suspension lift (coming closer to a 3" lift) you may need the upper control arms and either LCA offset bushes, UCA offset bushes or both.

TBC bed time

Last edited:
cheers mate for a good walk through for beginners, will be sending lots of people here when they ask these same old questions. you forgot the titan swap option although it hasn't really been done in australia.

Yeah I plan to update it a little more I looked into the Titan swap combined with a drop kit a guy on frontier did it with awesome flex results for an ifs but its also a lot of work.

I should have read this thread before I did my spacer and shackle lift. I didn't know why I was getting such a poor ride in the rear of the truck. Mechanic pointed this out to me today, so rear ironman shockers are now on order.

Another highly recommended option for 2" to 4" lifts is to fit extended ball joints. This is a much cheaper alternative to new upper control arms. They provide an additional 35mm of wheel down travel. They are available from "Performance Suspension" on the gold coast (online shop) and you need to check whether your Nav is a Thai or Spanish built because the ball joints differ. Some press into the UCA from the top and other's get pressed in from the bottom.

http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-001-1.html

psrnav-001-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joint_16_1.jpg

Other design to suit Thai built D40's

psrnav-002-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joints_16_1.jpg

Courtesy of Tyson25
attachment.jpg

_

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm to buy interessed by extened ball joints and bushes to fix the camber issue.

I only saw this in Australia.

My problem is that sellers don't ship in France.

Is anyone had the same problem?

BEs regards

Fire off a few emails to the sellers and see how you go.not exactly hard to ship to overseas...particuarly smaller items.

Yep fitted my SE Camber correction kit yesterday. looks 100% better. Wheel alignment on Monday. Also have the TC UCA Fitted .
dj8vuc3HWpnr-Jd9QaOcedp_VmXqT895pd5Iv0aieCM=w206-h205-p-no

OyjNVTyOzBNejYJN5VlbjHsxOvrlLxTA_WFazt5O8aw=w206-h205-p-no

Another highly recommended option for 2" to 4" lifts is to fit extended ball joints. This is a much cheaper alternative to new upper control arms. They provide an additional 35mm of wheel down travel. They are available from "Performance Suspension" on the gold coast (online shop) and you need to check whether your Nav is a Thai or Spanish built because the ball joints differ. Some press into the UCA from the top and other's get pressed in from the bottom.

http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-001-1.html

psrnav-001-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joint_16_1.jpg

Other design to suit Thai built D40's

psrnav-002-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joints_16_1.jpg

Courtesy of Tyson25
attachment.jpg

_
I have them as well. Also bought online. You can get them from Toowoomba steering and suspension

So quick question I've currently got a 2" Lift in my D40 Springs and Struts, (Ironman Foam Cell Pro and HD Springs) Im interested in getting a set of 33s to help my clearance issues on some of the tracks ive been on. Im thinking of slotting in a 10mm spacer for a little extra height in front lift and to help out with any possible rubbing issues, would I need any of the above to fix any issues resulting from the spacer or will it be ok as I think I only get about another 17mm or so of lift from the spacer.

It's not the best option to run spacers. You should really get the right springs for the front.
To give an example I had a lift kit supplied by a local mob, wasn't high enough ( turned out to be wrong spring rate) so I got a spacers. 25mm.
They caused the lower bushes to flog out with in months.
So I swapped to the right spring rate and ditched the spacers.
Currently sitting higher then I was with the old gear plus the spacers!!
Ring john at zordos suspension.
He'll better explain everything

You can always add a body lift to clear bigger tyres.

So quick question I've currently got a 2" Lift in my D40 Springs and Struts, (Ironman Foam Cell Pro and HD Springs) Im interested in getting a set of 33s to help my clearance issues on some of the tracks ive been on. Im thinking of slotting in a 10mm spacer for a little extra height in front lift and to help out with any possible rubbing issues, would I need any of the above to fix any issues resulting from the spacer or will it be ok as I think I only get about another 17mm or so of lift from the spacer.

Yeah I can adjust my struts to get the 50mm lift required being the ironman foam cell pros which I might do and see then how 33s fit. Just was keen to get some extra height to help with the process but if It was too cause too many hassles then I wont worry about it.

Yeah I can adjust my struts to get the 50mm lift required being the ironman foam cell pros which I might do and see then how 33s fit. Just was keen to get some extra height to help with the process but if It was too cause too many hassles then I wont worry about it.

I have also been tossing and turning about installing spacers to get a bit of extra lift... But to be honest it will only slightly improve the ramp over so I can't justify the extra spend which could be upwards of $1500-2000 for a for two extra inche. If you need more clearance then a patrol is the answer hehe... Stock ramp over angle of 27 degree.

Latest posts

Back