Tires rubbing on chassis after steering wheel correction

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granthem

Reaction score
Hi team,

D40 issue here. A while ago I had my steering rack bushes replaced. After this, my steering wheel was turned to the right when the car was driving straight.

In the interim between services, I fitted 265/75/16s. No issues - no scrubbing on the stock suspension and chassis

At the next service I had the steering wheel corrected to be straight again - and now on full lock right (haven't checked left yet) the tire is rubbing on the chassis rail.

I am at a loss as to what would have changed to cause the rim to be sitting closer to the chassis in straightening the steering wheel?

Any help as appreciated.

The steering rack is off centre due to not being re-centred when the column was reconnected.

You'll most likely find if measured the rack should be approx 5 turns lock to lock. 2.5 each way. If you check yours from "centre" it will probably be 2.25 1 way and 2.75 the other which causes your problem.

Lock will be off despite it tracking straight due to compensating with the tie rod ends.

Take it back to whoever fixed the bushes and tell them of your issues. They SHOULD rectify it.

Latest posts

Back