Hi all,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Johnson

Reaction score
Thought I would introduce my self as I'm new to the site. Currently the proud owner of a silver D22 Nissan Navara 3.0l diesel. To date have done the following mods, start from the outside and work in. ARB colour coded bull bar with Warn Winch, 2 x IPF Spotties, ARB Side Rails and steps, ARB Rear Tow Bar, ARB Canopy with tradesman roof rack housing reversing spot light, 2 rhino racks over the cab that hold 4 x IPF Spotties- yes I'm affraid of the dark. Redback storage drawers, 1-2 inch OME suspension upgrade, Cooper ST's, Safari Snorkel, electronic rust protection, Taipan Exhaust and Safari Chip Upgrade, Long Ranger replacement tank, ARB Compressor and Rear Diff Lock- shame they don't make one for the front... Dual battery set up, upgraded alternator 110amp model, michelle sacs car seat covers, GME remote face UHF, VMS Car PC with reversing Camera, roof mounted DVD Player also, upgraded speakers to Focal's. I think that's about it. I'm having a problem with power when towing. Fuel economy is about 11l per 100km's normally but when towing i'm hitting about 20l per 100km's and it feels like the engine is wheasy and lost all of it's power- this is just on the bitumen. I've spoken about this to a number of other owner's towing and they don't have these problems. Top speed when towing a less than 1 ton camper trailer is 110km's max. Any suggestions. Problem is only when towing. starting to resent my pride and joy.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, Damm your arb shop must love you :D

I don't tow alot, but when I do I haven't noticed any power loss. Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone here will be able to.

Yeah ARB store did love me, but getting all the work done at once resulted in really neat finish, there's alot of wiring with all those spotties etc. and I figured that i'd get a better discount than buying stuff a piece at a time. Thanks for the feedback, hoping that someone can help me. How do you find your STT's by the way?

How do you find your STT's by the way?

Alright. I'm new to the scene and I've only been out a couple of times so far, once with AT grandtreks and the last time with the Stt. noticeable difference. I only have stock suspension so they only just fit. I had to take the guards off, but still get a bit of rubbing at full lock. I run separate rims for my daily drive, so wasn't too much of a problem.

When I can afford it i'll get it lifted. :santaclaus:

Gday mate.

When you say loss of power, will all the gears rev out to redline. Well except 5th as you would expect.

Dave.

Brisbanite, thanks.

Dave STR,

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question; No, 4th is a bit iffy as well. No chance of getting 5th to the red line obviously. 4th gear will pull almost 110km/h but feels like it's a struggle.

G'Day Luke, welcome along. I'm new here too. Seeing as I have a silver d22 and you have a silver d22 BUT with all the things fitted that still remain on my wish list, you better post some pics:big_smile:
bit strange about the power loss. nothing to do with the chip install? I regularly tow a 1600kg ski boat and it'll do more than 110kmh if I dare. takes a while gettin there but it will on the flat it will maintain 110 in 5th no drama

Is there a switch back to factory settings to hide the chip for dealer servicing? Can you flick back and test again?

Brisbanite, thanks.

Dave STR,

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question; No, 4th is a bit iffy as well. No chance of getting 5th to the red line obviously. 4th gear will pull almost 110km/h but feels like it's a struggle.

On the back of the gearbox is a neutral posistion switch, disconnect it and see if it pulls better.

G'Day Luke, welcome along. I'm new here too. Seeing as I have a silver d22 and you have a silver d22 BUT with all the things fitted that still remain on my wish list, you better post some pics:big_smile:
bit strange about the power loss. nothing to do with the chip install? I regularly tow a 1600kg ski boat and it'll do more than 110kmh if I dare. takes a while gettin there but it will on the flat it will maintain 110 in 5th no drama

Same as mine, got a run up over the weekend and the navara was happy at 120km/h with 1600kg behind.

Dave.

Back