Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 AM

In relation to the hard start ie around 8 cranks and it would then run perfectly followed by easy starts until the vehicle sat for a couple of hours I rechecked the new injector pump. I found diesel under the inlet banjo fitting and tightened it. I also think there was a bit of diesel leaking from the return line so I replaced the Nissan hose clamp with screw type clamp. Since then I have had no further problems starting the vehicle No MIL either so fingers crossed.

I hope this post might help somebody in the future on the range of things to be checked for a faulty pump.

Thanks Tweak'e for your thoughts especially your earlier post about the banjo fitting. I didn't think a new one would leak but there you go!

Cheers

Mike
Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Nope the rectified leak hasn't resolved the starting issue. Given that the vp44 is electrically in a closed loop system before it reaches idle speed and the ecu kicks in (which rules out sensors etc etc) the most likely fault I think is a cracked or worn diaphragm in the pump which was not replaced when the pump was rebuilt. Apparently the Bosch testing equipment doesn't pick tthis up because when it is operating the pressure is fine on the test bench. Might be a sticking shut off solenoid too.
Might well be onto changing the pump for the third time!

Old 20-09-2017, 12:19 AM

Quick update which might help someone in the future. After clamping the return line i gave it a couple of more days of tests and it starts first time every time now. I have been having the glow plugs come twice and this has resolved the problem. The glow plugs are only a few months old and the are getting the correct voltage. Might just see if I managed to get a dud plug

Cheers