Fuel Tank - 80 litres???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indio2010

Reaction score
after 550kms the fuel warning lights come on. i take it to 800km. i fill up and it only takes 60 litres! WTF!! what about 20 litres? thats 25% of fuel tank not useable. thats gotta be a record for the car. i ring up the dealer and nissan directly and they tell me its an engineering fault and need another month to work something out. car was made in may, released officially in june and its now november. how can they can something so basic wrong???

you do the maths 7.2 litres per 100kms. what should the range be??

Totally agree, this is a BIG stuff up from Nissan where you have absolutely no faith in the gauge or the electronics and only going by your own instinct on when to fill up. Very bad when your off roading and far from the nearest service station. Atleast it's on the cautionary side rather than on the "hey look how good my range is"
In this day and age to have a simple thing like this be so badly engineered is concerning and not picked up from their impressive pre testing.
Obviously the fix is not a cheap one otherwise this would have already happened so would be interested in when a fix happens if at all.

The official mileage of the car is an absolute joke, no one can re-create that figure on a usual basis.

If it's such an issue, keep submitting feedback to Nissan Australia directly. I am supposedly halfway through the first tank in my st-x, and I'll fill it when the light comes on. If it takes less than 60l, ill be emailing Nissan Australia directly.

It will all be in how the numbers are crunched in the body control module, which can easily be flashed by Nissan with new firmware.

If it's such an issue, keep submitting feedback to Nissan Australia directly. I am supposedly halfway through the first tank in my st-x, and I'll fill it when the light comes on. If it takes less than 60l, ill be emailing Nissan Australia directly.

It will all be in how the numbers are crunched in the body control module, which can easily be flashed by Nissan with new firmware.

Unless there is a known problem with the sender unit which could be the reason of the delay fix.

I have a longrange tank fitted got the opposite problem.
Needle on empty takes 139lt in a 145lt tank.
But shows full with 120lt in the tank after the needle reaches full it takes another 25lt.
so i would say the moment of the arm is the wrong length too long.
May be the fix would be to put a Z bend in the arm to shorten it.

I spoke to the dealer about it during the first service and their response was that it is a "safety feature" - better to have more fuel than less, what a joke!

Red zone on the fuel gauge is 1/8th from the full, which should equal to to 10L, not 20L. I have no confidence in that fuel gauge now...

Totally agree, this is a BIG stuff up from Nissan where you have absolutely no faith in the gauge or the electronics and only going by your own instinct on when to fill up. Very bad when your off roading and far from the nearest service station. Atleast it's on the cautionary side rather than on the "hey look how good my range is"
In this day and age to have a simple thing like this be so badly engineered is concerning and not picked up from their impressive pre testing.
Obviously the fix is not a cheap one otherwise this would have already happened so would be interested in when a fix happens if at all.

The official mileage of the car is an absolute joke, no one can re-create that figure on a usual basis.

Oh yer it's the biggest frigging joke ever! The whole range, fuel to empty and how it calculates it is a joke. Oh and 3 warning lights after going from say 300k's to you need to fill it lol.

I spoke to the dealer about it during the first service and their response was that it is a "safety feature" - better to have more fuel than less, what a joke!

Red zone on the fuel gauge is 1/8th from the full, which should equal to to 10L, not 20L. I have no confidence in that fuel gauge now...

Try driving it out to Central QLD from the Gold Coast like i do, it does your head in.

Last edited:
So my fuel warning lights come on last night as it was 105km of range left and today i got my scan guage and checked the fuel level through that. It said with 75km to go there is 26.8% left in the tank.friggin dodgy ah

So i talked to my nissan dealer booking in for my first service and they said there isnt fix yet. I just went on there facebook page and left this comment on a bunch of there np300 posts.
When will nissan provide a fix for the fuel guage that says its empty but there is 20L left in the tank..

You guys should do the same

I feel for you all...

I have not got a body control module in my D21.
Could that be why my fuel gauge is so accurate?
:victory:

I appreciate it is the desire of ALL car manufacturers to add as much electronics as possible (it makes them more $$$, both when selling it AND when servicing it), but this seems more than a little silly on Nissan's part.

Electronics in cars these days are very refined and in majority of cases really adds to the vehicles reliability and assurance it will get you home. This is a big statement but pretty true. The problem is when manufacturers try to do it on the cheap. Using crappy sensors, poor assemblies, components actually designed to brake down after a given number of cycles. Landrover discovery 3/4 is a classic example of how electronics when done right can benefit a vehicle in many ways.
Problem here is Nissan decided to do it on the cheap. Looks as though they werent designing a car to be on top of the market but instead design a car to maximise profits. Not a bad car (i still very much like mine) but cut corners to achieve their objectives. This has now created a question in my mind, how much can i rely on this car to get me home if i ventured off the main roads.

Electronics in cars these days are very refined and in majority of cases really adds to the vehicles reliability and assurance it will get you home. This is a big statement but pretty true. The problem is when manufacturers try to do it on the cheap. Using crappy sensors, poor assemblies, components actually designed to brake down after a given number of cycles. Landrover discovery 3/4 is a classic example of how electronics when done right can benefit a vehicle in many ways.
Problem here is Nissan decided to do it on the cheap. Looks as though they werent designing a car to be on top of the market but instead design a car to maximise profits. Not a bad car (i still very much like mine) but cut corners to achieve their objectives. This has now created a question in my mind, how much can i rely on this car to get me home if i ventured off the main roads.

It is very capable off road. Yes they have cheaped out big time. Never again will i buy a nissan. Will hang on to it for 3 years, then it's gone. So a sour taste in my mouth for the time remaining.

So i had a phone call from nissan Australia and was treated like a dumb ass that knew absolutely nothing in regards to the fuel system, ecu and how it estimates and gives fuel economy and estimate till empty and 3 different warning lights telling me the same thing WTF! Thanks for that nissan.

Went to the dealer and received the same response. :pissedoff: They talk in circles and never give an exact answer and run a lot of bull sh.t at you. I just laughed and then explained some facts to him and moved on.

So just filled up the new NP300 for the first time and same result as you guys. Could only squeeze 60 litres in after running down the distance to go to zero. By my quick calcs there's at least another 200kms to go from there. More like 250 actually. Would it do any harm to the engine to throw a Jerry in the back and see just how far I could go?

So just filled up the new NP300 for the first time and same result as you guys. Could only squeeze 60 litres in after running down the distance to go to zero. By my quick calcs there's at least another 200kms to go from there. More like 250 actually. Would it do any harm to the engine to throw a Jerry in the back and see just how far I could go?

I would grab some mechanics advice on that one.

No.
Could just take some cranking to prime. But with an electric fuel pump should not take long. Do not crack the injector lines very high pressure that will cut limbs off.

Not like old mechanical fuel pumps that needed bleeding. and cracking the injectors.

So i got my first service yesterday and i was talking to one of ths service people and they said they have one other car doing the empty at 60L. He has ordered a new fuel sender unit to be installed in the tank to see if it fits it.

He said he talked to nissan Australia and there hasnt been any reports the tank saying empty with 20L still in the tank.

So you guys need to report the issue to your dealer as an issue so they can report it to nissan Australia

He said he talked to nissan Australia and there hasnt been any reports the tank saying empty with 20L still in the tank.

After my dealer called it "safety feature" I've contacted Nissan Customer Service about this and other things and they said that they are aware of the issue and engineering is currently investigating it.

So i got my first service yesterday and i was talking to one of ths service people and they said they have one other car doing the empty at 60L. He has ordered a new fuel sender unit to be installed in the tank to see if it fits it.

So you guys need to report the issue to your dealer as an issue so they can report it to nissan Australia

ok thats completely opposite to what they told me. they cant get there story straight as usual. i called them twice now. first time they said they are aware of the issue and need a month for engineers to get a fix. second time they said i was the first to have the issue. poor service nissan

Latest posts

Back