ZD30 lift pump set ups. Post 'em up!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont worry about the wiring hanhing down in thàt photo, had to move it out the way whilst drilling..

I spoke to the injector pump man today and he said they set their pumps up on the bench with a 5 to 7 psi feed ! He also said what you stated regarding flow rate being very important.. Did you see the post in patrol4x4 by Gu2 ? He is running the Carter 4601 and not the 4600 now! What do you think about running the 4601 on the Nav zd30's ?
the 4601 is a little higher pressure, same flow rate but i also see its listed suitable for diesel.
fuel pressure effects timing a bit. because the timing control uses fuel pressure as hydraulics, changes in pressure change timing. thats what the yellow solenoid does. there is a built in pressure regulator in the vp44 but i can't recall what pressure its set to.
usually recommended to keep lift pump fuel pressure below 15 psi.

the AEROFLOW pump looks like a holley copy. typically they are noisy but have the advantage of an external pressure regulator, which is a weak point with the carter.

can't remember what BMW it was, i'm sure you google it.
the interesting setup is because it had the fuel cooler, the fuel didn't get sent back to the tank. so they only needed a low flow fuel pump. downside is air in the fuel line will be a right pain.

with a good fuel cooler, the other option is to use bypass fuel regulator on the IP outlet side and feed back to the inlet side. so fuel goes from IP outlet to fuel cooler than back to IP inlet, but if lift pump fuel pressure is high, its bypassed back to tank. that helps with air being stuck in the lines.

My airdog has fixed the rail draining issues I had. I love it how I can hold it at WOT and smash through the gears. I had it to 160km/h @ 4000rpm on a "private road" the other day and it was still pulling

Post some pics man.... keen to see it and your mounts!

How do you think the ryco class bowl pre filters will handle the pressure?
got a link on what one you have or looking at ?
If you mean the ones they have on the shelf at Supercheap and that, they are a cav type. I don't know if that will cause too much of a restriction on the direct injection motors, but they are too low flow for a common rail motor.

I have a stanadyne fm100 on my common rail D22 and haven't had any noticeable restriction. I have that fitted with a 30 micron pre filter and the filter element is chemically treated for water separation. I still have the factory fuel filter after it for normal filtration.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

If you mean the ones they have on the shelf at Supercheap and that, they are a cav type. I don't know if that will cause too much of a restriction on the direct injection motors, but they are too low flow for a common rail motor.

I have a stanadyne fm100 on my common rail D22 and haven't had any noticeable restriction. I have that fitted with a 30 micron pre filter and the filter element is chemically treated for water separation. I still have the factory fuel filter after it for normal filtration.

by mem the CAV type doesn't flow enough. but flow rate varies depending on what filter you use.

the other thing is the filter part is really only to protect the lift pump.
i have a 100 (or 150) micron mesh filter. that catches any big chunks that might jam the lift pump.
water is caught by the factory filter.

you can just use a water sedimenter, as aussie tends to have such poor fuel. overseas navaras come with them as stock.

pumps like the holley or carter handle crap quite well.

the zd30 uses about a 30 or 40 microns filter as stock. no point fitting a 40 micron pre filter. you want something like a 100 micron.
keep in mind that as the pre filter gets clogged its under suction and prone to sucking air in. the less restriction it makes the less risk of air being sucked in.

^ Yep. Tweakes knows his shit. He held my hand while i did this install and directed me to a high flowing pump and stainless steel mesh pre filter. The set up works ace. Aeroflow holley black knock-off still working great.
Pushing about 8-9 psi at idle and 5-6psi at full noise.

Yes mate i do.. the ones that have a glass bowl on tye bottom.. ok so 100 micron for pre pick up pump "no glass bowl" and with the one under the bonet next to the factory one should be 30 micron..

What filter uses this chem treated for water bizo...? Looking at airdog but danmmm expensive...

^ Yep. Tweakes knows his shit. He held my hand while i did this install and directed me to a high flowing pump and stainless steel mesh pre filter. The set up works ace. Aeroflow holley black knock-off still working great.
Pushing about 8-9 psi at idle and 5-6psi at full noise.

Ahh good to know... was looking at that fuel pump! Did you end up fitting a fuel pressure gauge in the cab?

Are you guys fitting a one way valve on the main pump line also? The bypass line is a good idea and will be fitting one but i was just thinking about the main feed, would that need a valve also to stop fuel draining back? If so, woukd it be best in the tank on the pick up?

Last edited:
Are you guys fitting a one way valve on the main pump line also? The bypass line is a good idea and will be fitting one but i was just thinking about the main feed, would that need a valve also to stop fuel draining back? If so, woukd it be best in the rank on the pick up?
i only put one as the bypass as pump only runs when oil pressure is up. my pump is fairly good at stopping fuel going back.
the holley/carter i'm not sure on. they may leak back over long periods.

but one way valves are cheap and it won't hurt to fit one.

Yes mate i do.. the ones that have a glass bowl on tye bottom.. ok so 100 micron for pre pick up pump "no glass bowl" and with the one under the bonet next to the factory one should be 30 micron..

What filter uses this chem treated for water bizo...? Looking at airdog but danmmm expensive...
Stanadyne do one, Donaldson also do one which has a filter that is interchangeable with the stanadyne filter head. This is only as an addition to the factory fuel filter, I don't have an additional lift pump on mine.

If you want a filter to fit before the lift pump to stop anything going through it, if go with the above recommendations.

You can get those stanadyne filters in different micron levels, even down to 2 micron and use them instead of the factory filter if you really wanted to. You can also fit the fuel filter listed for the yd25 D22 which as far as I'm aware is 5 micron, to the factory filter head. An additional lift pump like you are fitting should handle the additional load the lower micron filter creates.

You can also fit the fuel filter listed for the yd25 D22 which as far as I'm aware is 5 micron, to the factory filter head. An additional lift pump like you are fitting should handle the additional load the lower micron filter creates.

don't do that.

the ZD30 pumps are marginal at pulling fuel from the tank. adding more restriction causes big problems as it screws with the timing.
plus no need for 5 mic filters.
its very difficult to have a pump make up for that restriction especially as the lift pump will not always be running.

the common rail engine will compensate for filter restriction. zd30 does not and its sensitive to it.

have a look at the flow rates of the different mic rated filters, you will see what i say don't even think about it.

i only put one as the bypass as pump only runs when oil pressure is up. my pump is fairly good at stopping fuel going back.
the holley/carter i'm not sure on. they may leak back over long periods.

but one way valves are cheap and it won't hurt to fit one.

Yeah right, i was going to go with the pump i posted as the airdog is out of the question this month.. $3300 for the pump rebuild!

I think i will fit one, i am going to pull the tank and give it an inspection so I'll post a pic of what i find and if it can be done!

Cheers man..

^ That looks nice.
I use these; https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=226
I use them for boost, EGT and fuel pressure. I use their senders too. Not very sexy to look at but do the job and all the senders seem pretty much OEM quality. They stack neatly in discrete places being fairly small and rectangle. Can insert them into the dash too if you had the heart to cut holes.

Latest posts

Back