QD32 same as TD27 for turbo?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tojakey318

Reaction score
Planning on turbocharging my QD32 in my 1998 Navara and I’ve been told by a mate that QD32s are exactly the same as TD27s just with different displacement and injector pump. What are all the differences?

I want to know if what he said is correct because apparently it’s quite common to throw TD27 turbo bits (manifolds, lines, turbo etc.) onto a QD32 and put the TD27T pump on and away you go (was also wondering if this is the way I should go about turbocharging it.)

Last edited:
Correct. But you're better off with a td27 pump. Also, the turbo pistons are different. Too much abuse and the qd32 ones will crack.

The pistons are different for a reason. Turbo an engine with non turbo pistons & the bottom end, small end bearings & pistons will suffer.

You have to reduce compression to a non turbo engine if you want to add a turbo.

Something I learned a very long time ago lol!

In this case, you can use the bottom end just fine. Same parts etc.
The turbo pistons are 0.1mm shorter and you set the squish gap as per qd32t spec.

Setting the squish by using a thicker head, or base gasket may work. Not too sure how else you could increase squish?

So adding that gap reduces compression so it’ll take a turbo on it? My plan at first is just to put a stock TD27T on stock boost for now with a boost gauge and EGT gauge so I don’t get the exhaust too hot

There's no base gasket on these engines. Squish is set using whichever head gasket thickness matches the protrusion spec of the turbo engine (if turboed, and if using turbo pistons). Don't just simply "use a thicker gasket".

If the head is off, you may as well swap out the pistons, because you'll probably be back to do it at a later date if you don't.

Latest posts

Back