@#$% Burnt all the wiring in my car.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgets

Reaction score
Looks like its going to be an expensive week for me, basically my rear light wiring harness and center wiring harness have melted, Its also possible the main wiring harness has gone too.( dash will have to be pulled out)

My autospark thinks that all that could have caused it was the duel battery system as it was the only thing powerfull enough to melt the earth wire throughout the car which then melted all the wires in the loom. The fuses in the car all seem to have blown but the 2nd battery did not. Its hard to diagnose because everything melted.

Anyway ive managed to find a second hand loom from a wreckers from the exact same 2005 str as mine, I was just wondering if there was any chance of the loom being different? I might be being overly paranoid but theres going to be alot of money put into this job so I want to make sure I dont screw it up. :sad:

Maybe if its a late 2005 and yours is a early 2005.

99% of the wiring will be the same.

Sounds like a shit week for you mate.

I hit something last night and damaged my bullbar so I kinda know how you feel.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxcGnBpvVs[/YT]
Ok so its all about a Toyota but you get where I'm coming from.

Hahah bugger me

Whats funny mate is the prices nissan have quoted for the wiring loom,

Rear lights wiring harness $458.00
Centre wiring harness $2409.00#
Main wiring harness $3412.00#

That doesnt include any labor for fitting it. What im planning on doing is getting a second hand loom , taking out all the carpet and seats myself before the auto gets his hands on it, the autoelec also told me I could pull the dash out but it would be a bitch of a job, especially putting it back in.

What a bummer of an episode, I remember melting 8 foot of cabling from a second battery to a fridge in our old Hiace van, cable got nicked and a one in a million chance happened to make the cables arc while we were headed down the beach one day, all I saw was the smoke in the rear view mirror getting thicker, by the time we found a spot to pull over it was like a Cheech and Chong car with smoke pouring out the doors. but that was only a small amount of cabling, the whole loom is a major PITA.

GEEZZZ surely a few wires aren't worth that

It's not how much they are worth in value it's how much they are worth to someone who needs one, Nissan know this and charge accordingly.

Well some would argue that that is another reason why genuine prices are as high as they are, insurance companies just pay and replace they don't worry about the cost. I don't believe that's entirely true but it possible does have some bearing on prices. However one must be insured to begin with and the op hasn't said whether he is or not.

I agree wouldn't insurance cover it? surely

Ive got compressive insurance but they said they wont cover it as im only covered for accidents,bloody annoying. I also had an after market warranty but they also will not cover it as the original wiring has been modified( dual battery, lights and lots more).
I could probably try and fight my point a bit more but its my work car and every day off is costing me work so im just going to concentrate on fixing it asap and not spend time with insurance company's who will do everything in there power to get out of paying claims.

If I replace the the wiring from front all the way to the back is there anything else I need to worry about? Im hoping all the switches in the cab are ok because there fuses blew?

I can understand that the warranty is not going to cover it (don't necessarily agree but understand) but there is no way I'd be paying an insurance company for full comp insurance if they didn't cover such things. I also understand it's easier to fix the problem than fight I'd just be looking at reviewing my policy once the fixing is done.

I'd suggest the switches would be ok but as to anything else in line I'd have to check a manual or some such and I don't have the D22 manual.

I can understand that the warranty is not going to cover it (don't necessarily agree but understand) but there is no way I'd be paying an insurance company for full comp insurance if they didn't cover such things. I also understand it's easier to fix the problem than fight I'd just be looking at reviewing my policy once the fixing is done.

You read my mind, Between me and the mrs we have 6 different policy's with them that will be going elsewhere next year.

wanna share who your with? did you ring then without telling them your name, might be easier to call in cousin billy to steal it and make a bonfire out of it lol. I can just imagine the time swapping the loom over is gonna take. oh boy.

Im not too sure but this is basically what we can see at the moment.
When things stuffed up in the car all the factory gear blew their fuses but it looks as if the second battery's did not , being the only thing that did not blow a fuse it seems to be the culprit. What lead us this way is that there seems to be an arc mark on the chassis where the dual battery was cable tied to the chassis. The cause of this were not sure.

Today I managed to source a second hand full loom from the tail lights to the engine out of a nav that had a roll over. Next is the hard decision,

As far as I can see the wires are burned real bad up as far as the drivers seat, between there and the bottom of the dash they are very slightly melted but it looks like it may not have got through the insulation, the hard thing to know is if it might be worse under the dash or if it will be ok. Theres a big cash difference between taking the dash out or leaving it in.
Not too sure what to do..... I have a loom to replace all the engine and under dash wiring but Im trying to avoid it because of the cost. In the same light I also know that if theres a problem behind the dash and I dont fix it then it will burn all the wiring I just replaced.

Latest posts

Back