WARNING Timing chain @108k

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofskij

Reaction score
Hi just done my timming chain 2007 d40 @ 108k km because a friend of mine done an engine @ 180k and cost him over $8000. :pissedoff:The only
reason i noticed it is because he jst got a new motor in his and it was a lot quiter than mine. I fitted the yd25 dual row conversion .with the old one this is what i found bottom chain streched by 10mm and tensioner guide rooted .Would not have been long before the chain snapped or tensioner guide failed. After doing this the truck doen not blow smoke anymore and spools lot quicker with more power.I was thinking it was just the motor getting little noisy with wear but as you can see its poor nissan enigineering.timming chains should last at least 500k ,hell iv seen a Exel Huindai snap a belt after 350k.If you own a yd25 get it checked oyherwise could cost you $$$$

Attachments

• IMAG0506.jpg
    IMAG0506.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 205
This is the main reason I brought the Dmax.

YD25's have had a shit history and I never plan on owning one.

The ZD30 hasn't had the best history, but Id still take one on the YD25.

Tossing up between ranger or v6 navara . Ranger looks more attractive as my work truck is a
2007 pj ranger 3L and its only had a set of pads through it in 180k still going with 500kg tools
Compared d40 07 sagged springs ,shocks ,clutch ,pads rotars,triming chain,steering has also got play,box has also got a rattle in neutral.
what's next? 108k Family wagon
Don't think I will get a Nissan again since I had so many probs with a 1st owner veichle

Take a LS Terrain Dmax for a spin.

I wont be buying a brand new Nissan in the future, not until they lift their build quality standards,

Id buy a Patrol, Skyline, Silvia etc.

Hi just done my timming chain 2007 d40 @ 108k km because a friend of mine done an engine @ 180k and cost him over $8000. :pissedoff:The only
reason i noticed it is because he jst got a new motor in his and it was a lot quiter than mine. I fitted the yd25 dual row conversion .with the old one this is what i found bottom chain streched by 10mm and tensioner guide rooted .Would not have been long before the chain snapped or tensioner guide failed. After doing this the truck doen not blow smoke anymore and spools lot quicker with more power.I was thinking it was just the motor getting little noisy with wear but as you can see its poor nissan enigineering.timming chains should last at least 500k ,hell iv seen a Exel Huindai snap a belt after 350k.If you own a yd25 get it checked oyherwise could cost you $$$$

Hi, did you do it yourself, if so how hard and how much, mine is at 182000 and still running good but need to think about it soon

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.... That is messy isn't it. Just poor quality components resulting in a failure that shouldn't happen.

I really want to keep my D40, but the negatives keep adding up.

Thanks for the warning tho - might be time to just bite the bullet and do the chain when I do the clutch.

The warnings only add up for paranoid people. Sure there has been timing chain issues but even going by members active on this forum it would be hard pressed to say 10% have suffered issues, even if the figure is as high as 20% it is still not as dire as people make out.

No one is making light of the situation and no one is rubbishing those who've had the issue (well some are getting rubbished but they deserve it) but until someone can put the numbers into perspective of number of YD's sold v number of timing chain issues then it's hardly something to get worked up over, at best be aware but getting all shirty is not very productive.

Oh and when I mean getting the numbers into perspective I don't mean adding up all the "my mate told me his best friend's cousin's aunty is a mechanic and she told a friend of a friend that if she shits fire YD2.5's die". Of course that wont suit everyone but hey shit happens I still say there is more YD's that haven't had issues than there is that have.

Maybe so.....tho factually, Nissan know the timing sets are crap and do actually replace them.
Only prob is they won't do a recall so the poor pricks that it happens to...and it will happen...after the warranty period get f......cked over...
And
When the do replace them they install double row sets not the same as originally installed

Ok so why don't they do a recall if there is so many issues? They can neither afford to ignore or pass off recalls simply because of money, they need proof that it's effecting a wide number just like they would have for every recall. There is no denying that the issue exists for some people but until the numbers are published it's impossible to say it's as widespread as some people want to make out.

Could be worse, could be Ford or Toyota who ignored major safety issues to hold off their recalls. Nissan is recalling 120,000 US Altimas due to a spare tyre inflation issue in the US I guess we should just all sell our Nav's and rush to Isuzu like Dave suggests.

What I consider is not that the timing chain may fail - that in itself is fine. But if it does fail (or stretch), the consequential damage can result in a rather large repair bill. For the relatively small cost of replacing the chain - compared to the potential cost of repair once broken - well, I just regard it as insurance. Not paranoia, just simple precaution.

While that is all true the potential for it to happen is in every car that runs a chain but the way some people talk it's only Nissan's that could possibly be effected by the problem and it's every YD that is effected which is simply not the case, atleast it hasn't been proven to be.

there has to be a reason some do it and most don't.

I am no mechanic but does the chain tensioner use oil pressure to operate? if so maybe people not using the right blend of oil and have their tensioners to tight or something which would explain the wear in that picture of the chain guide.

I could be talking BS though lol.

While that is all true the potential for it to happen is in every car that runs a chain but the way some people talk it's only Nissan's that could possibly be effected by the problem and it's every YD that is effected which is simply not the case, atleast it hasn't been proven to be.

For what its worth, I reckon you're right. Like the good old ZD30. Sure, there were a number (probably too many) failures. But similarly, there are heaps out there still running perfectly.

nothing really wrong with the ZD30 though its just afaik what nissan decided to do to it that made it fail in the patrol.

And
When the do replace them they install double row sets not the same as originally installed

Krankin is that with all Dealerships??
My last one was replaced and as far as i was aware they just replaced it with the standard version, but i never asked the exact question of what do they actually put back in.
Im getting the 30k service done tomorrow so i will see if i can get an answer from the so called "technician"

Random chat thread

I have to say I'm getting a bit pissed off with people on this site with different brand cars putting in their 2 bits worth. So they used to own a Nav? Big effing deal! You don't own a Nav then move on & infect some other site with your negativity & those bouncing tits that annoy the hell out of me

This should be good

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok well I think there is a new winner for the prize of largest post, most words in a post, most quotes in a post and the WTF are you trying to do award.

Latest posts

Back