Steinbauer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLSTX

Reaction score
Ok guys..
an age old question.. anyone had any experience with Steinbauer chips?
The guy at RANKIN DIESEL has pretty much sold me, but I have been burned by salesman before so I figure I need to do a bit more homework on the subject..

Safest chip but not the best performer out of the box. But if you do extra work to your engine ie bigger intercooler and exhaust etc, you can get the steinbauer tweaked up to suit.

Cheers

With a perminanet instillation I turned away. I'm still in the warranty period not that that means much.
My mechanic said it to me this way, Chipit and the such raise the rail pressure sure, but the power is there and they leave in place the system fail safes etc

The steinbouer changes the timing of parts, that's something that if it goes wrong causes big dramas.....

A basic explanation that worked for me

The worst a steinbauer will do is over fuel if they get it wrong. But highly unlikely if the tune is changed on a dyno. If a rail chip is set to high it can damage the fuel system by blowing injectors pumps and rails. You don't get much change out of 7-8 grand if that goes south. But saying that a lot of guys on here have rail chips and don't have any problems. The only difference is the risk of damage between the two.

Ok guys..
an age old question.. anyone had any experience with Steinbauer chips?
The guy at RANKIN DIESEL has pretty much sold me, but I have been burned by salesman before so I figure I need to do a bit more homework on the subject..

No but I spoke to Rankin a few weeks ago as well as some others about the Steinbauer chip. Next time I am at a show and I get another offer by the Steinbauer rep for free fitting, I will go ahead and Rankin will get the job.

I should have asked Rankin about group discount :wink:

When i purchased my 22 the option was there for a steinbauer to be fitted by the nissan dealer also in the waiting room they had an advertisement for the chip on the wall as said previous not the most powerful but considered the safest a mate has one on his 09 king cab d40 he picked up 18hp on the dyno not alot of gain for the price but it's still something.

I have a Steinbauer chip in my 2011 D22 and I'm really happy with it, had it dyno'd and everything is running really safe at 18.8psi of boost, next step is to get the chip re tuned by steinbauer...... Nissan no about all of my mods and they have been more than happy to help smaller warrenty issues I have had

No doubt about it, Stenibauer are a good product. They are a factory option on some Audi adn VW models in Europe. The only thing that held me back from Steinbauer at the time was price.

In the end I got a chipit. Works perfectly well (apart from one recent issue which was a simple fix - no cost - clean a connection) and does what I ask of it. Cost was under a grand, including dyno and custom tune.

If I had my time again would I change? Hard to say - my financial circumstances were what they were, and that meant I went a certain route.

That being said, I would agree that Steinbuer are a high quality product, with huge research and development resources, and I'd be very surprised if you ever had a problem with your vehicle caused by the chip if you fitted one.

I would go Steinbauer if I were to chip mine. I have a mate who fitted one to a King Cab D40 and it destroyed 2 DPF's, Nissan replaced the first under warranty but blamed the chip for the second, not sure if it was the chips fault but that was what happened to him. In saying that, it didn't change my mind up as Steinbauer being the way to go

I have had a steibuer since 2009 with no problems cost $1200 back then and give some power increase .Now I run no limit since 2011 ($160) and steinbuer together along with other mods ,turn the steinbuer off and does not make much difference but turn the no limit off and it feels like its only gou 3/4 of the power ,bang for buck no limit wins hands sown in my opinion .also got a egt gauge and each on or off don't make much difference .Just my experience.

You could always go ECU flash tuning... I've heard of some pretty decent gains from these on the FB Navara pages.

I run steinbauer on my d40. I couldnt fault it. You will definately feel power gain and like others said it is safest chip out of box.

No but I spoke to Rankin a few weeks ago as well as some others about the Steinbauer chip. Next time I am at a show and I get another offer by the Steinbauer rep for free fitting, I will go ahead and Rankin will get the job.

I should have asked Rankin about group discount :wink:

Lol if you can get some sort of discount, id be in for that. I'm sure other's on the forum wouldn't mind chipping their Navs :)

Just ask yourself the high price of a chip as opposed to reliability i personally would put the money into something else to make the ute more drivable and comfortable they go well enough as is for a 2.2tonne brick with a tiny cube donk.

I've had one on the 40 since October 06 happy with its performance. My 17 yo daughter complained when I turned it off on her. When another started flogging there's a few years later I offered to fit one for a real daily test to back the claim there's is better with no reply.

Well I have been patiently waiting for the Caravan & Camping show to see if they were offering free fitting again, but nevertheless going ahead with the purchase. Before we head off to the show on Sunday I thought I would check the price so that I could ensure the free fitting wasn't hidden in an inflated price.

A call confirmed that from Feb 1st this year, the price increased 20%! Now the tidy sum of $1,698 from $1,410.

1700 bucks is too much IMO and that has put an end to that.

Back