squeeling turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan13l_00

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a d22 with a zd30 and a factory turbo, at the moment at 2700-3000rpm under load i get a high pitch squeal (infamous tarago sound) noise. Ive had a look online seems according to other people theyve said check all hoses for leaks etc and i can seem to find one. Ive blocked the snorkel with my hand (which stalled the car) Ive checked for play in the turbo which came out fine, ive also re tightened my egr bolts aswell. I dont have any black soot anywhere.

Has anyone has this happened, what have you done to fix it.

Tia
Daniel

If you haven't blocked the egr, or you put the blanking plate on the intake side it could be a hole in the egr pipe itself. They have been known to split.

check to see how much play the turbo has and any fin damage.
if bearings are shot you don't want to be driving it around.

If you've checked the turbo and it's fine, your problem is more likely to be boost leaking somewhere.

Assuming that there's no intercooler, boost will leak from:

* cracks and splits in the hoses. These are often NOT visible on inspection but under pressure the hose will expand and the cracks/splits will open.

* Undertightened hose clamps. These will be revealed by being loose as the oil from the blow-by will get in and lubricate the hoses rather well, and that oil will spray around much of the perimeter of the join. You need to completely separate the hose, clean both faces in a solvent (metho/petrol), allow to dry (metho = 10 seconds, petrol = 30 seconds) then reinstall and nip the hose up a little more.

* Overtightened hoses. Too much tightening will cause the hose to pinch at some point and boost can leak out. If boost is leaking so is oil, so you'll see a tell-tale thin spear of oil coming from one point. You will have to remove, clean and reinstall unless the pinching has damaged the hose.

* Cracked EGR tube with exhaust side blocked. These tubes look a lot stronger than they are and rival that cheap toilet paper you find in rest area dunnies for strength. The easy solution is to block both ends, ensuring that you use a good sealant, and toss the pipe where it belongs.

* Damaged EGR valve/leaking gasket. Again it's easy to spot - look for the oil. If it's leaking there'll be oil - guaranteed (unless you have a catch can). Not so easy to fix if it's the valve itself, the valve can't go missing without the car bitching at you about it.

Don't rule out turbocharger failure just yet, the turbo can feel right but have blade damage. If the other less expensive things to check have not turned up anything, then getting someone to have a good look over the turbo is next on the list.

Ive gone and checked everything and no luck finding anything. Found some dodgy hose clamps which ive replaced.. might have a feeling its the turbo and its internal parts such as bearings. Installed a boost guage today and found that at peak boost (13-15lbs) it would start to squeel. Any more ideas before i give up and buy another turbo
Cheers

I'd go over the egr system with a fine tooth comb before you replace the turbo. Try blocking it off at both ends and see if that makes any difference. Just because you don't have soot anywhere doesn't mean it's not leaking. ...

It may just be end float or stuffed bearings .... If your unsure get a shop to diagnose.
I have a mate who had 4mm endfloat on his ZD30 turbo and sounded like yours.
I think he was quoted $520 for repairs or $1000 for a replacement.
He ordered a replacement and before it arrived his collapsed.... without damage to the engine.

Heard this (assuming we're talking the same noise) on a couple of ZD30 D22's. Check that all the small allen key head bolts that hold the compressor housing onto the centre housing are all there. Alternately, a warped exhaust manifold will break the studs and leak around number 1 cylinder (it's a bit hard to see, but behind the heat shield you should see some soot).

Not related to the ZD30, but does anyone have the turbo part number and or specifiactions for the QD32ETi turbo, please?

It might be the HT12-11A or B.
Is there a Garrett of similar aftermarket replacement that anyone knows of?

Will be removing the turbo tomorrow and will have a look-see.
I did not get the electronics with the motor, so the mechanical pump off the QD32 was used instead.

I had the same problem when my turbo went . When i rebuilt my tubro the guy said something to do with the waste gate and the fan was just touching the side he goes that sound is like a warning i think is was the r33 turbo that does the same thing that's what he reackons

Mines been doing the exact same, high pitch noise between the revs you quoted, been about 100000ks since I started hearing that noise now haha and all is still going good, cars at 301000ks now! zd30.

Latest posts

Back