Yay timing chain is on the way out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas 07D40

Reaction score
Ok just picked up car from its checkup after it started to make horrid sounds from the engine, they tell me the timing chain will need replacing soon for 3.5k...
Should I bite the bullet and replace the chain or sell it and get new car?
Thanks lucas

Just done mine ,Paul was a great help and cost me $1350 ,stopped the smoke ,noise and now has more power ,started a tread called "warning trimming chain" but the thread got raped by other posters ,quite amusing actually since one of the rapists didin know I actually commented on their posts and asked me "who are you"

Done 110k ,change oil every 10k with filter and penrite oil .Tensioner wan through plastic down to metal and chain was stretched by 10 mm (bottom chain top dual row was ok).For this kind of wear its just poor engineering from Nissan .

Got dual row conversion for bottom chain and come with new top chain also and all chain sliders ,really happy with it .took a day to do myself and deleted the egr pipe while at it.

Got dual row conversion for bottom chain and come with new top chain also and all chain sliders ,really happy with it .took a day to do myself and deleted the egr pipe while at it.

How hard is it, within the realms of a good home mechanic, any pics or write up, cheers

Done 110k ,change oil every 10k with filter and penrite oil .Tensioner wan through plastic down to metal and chain was stretched by 10 mm (bottom chain top dual row was ok).For this kind of wear its just poor engineering from Nissan .

Ok thanks.
Here is a little snipit from the Oil Bible website which I found very interesting.

One of my readers found out when he went to buy oil for his (modern 4V common rail diesel) Nissan that they expressly prohibit the use of CG or higher rated oils. Nissan mandate that owners use CF oils in these engines. It's worth noting that the CF spec was already out of date when these engines were built but Nissan did not use the latest API spec because it wasn't good enough!
The fact that API have dropped the CF tests/standard does not in any way improve the later oils that do not meet this standard.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#ixzz2S8GlOcM9

I have always wonderd if there is any relation between oil used and longativity of the timing chain.
In the book it does stipulate a CF oil. Although if your vehicle has no DPF Penrites primary recomendation is a CI oil. Interesing

Last edited:
Mines done 210,000kms on the original chain, would it be worthwhile to pay someone to check it out? At those km, its a bit noisy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It blows a bit of smoke sometimes when I take off, although that could be the injectors. Thoughts?

well not quite son......its not a Nissan engine.

Ok thanks.
Here is a little snipit from the Oil Bible website which I found very interesting.

One of my readers found out when he went to buy oil for his (modern 4V common rail diesel) Nissan that they expressly prohibit the use of CG or higher rated oils. Nissan mandate that owners use CF oils in these engines. It's worth noting that the CF spec was already out of date when these engines were built but Nissan did not use the latest API spec because it wasn't good enough!
The fact that API have dropped the CF tests/standard does not in any way improve the later oils that do not meet this standard.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#ixzz2S8GlOcM9

I have always wonderd if there is any relation between oil used and longativity of the timing chain.
In the book it does stipulate a CF oil. Although if your vehicle has no DPF Penrites primary recomendation is a CI oil. Interesing

oil wont compensate for bad/cheap designs.

Mines done 210,000kms on the original chain, would it be worthwhile to pay someone to check it out? At those km, its a bit noisy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It blows a bit of smoke sometimes when I take off, although that could be the injectors. Thoughts?

not bad...210K on a 2.5YD.

hydraulic oil for sale ell not quite son......its not a Nissan engine.[/QUOTE]

Nissan is still selling the engines in their products so fully liable as the took my money .
It's still their problem because at the end of tthe day it still has a Nissan badge on it.

Latest posts

Back