Diesel chips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHAT CHIP DO YOU HAVE INSTALLED

• Total voters

JASON-D40

Reaction score
Researching chips and every time I think I have made a decision I read something that puts me off from that chip manufacturer.

I would only like advice and feed back from first hand experiences with chips and there suppliers.
Not interested in a mates of a mates aunty's neighbour story's please.

If you do have a chip, do you have EGT monitor?
Is EGT monitor necessary if the ECU still safeguards everything?
Have you installed EGR blanking plate?

Thanks for any advice or first hand experiences that may be put forward.

Just get a steinbauer mate, safest one, won't give you the most power but its less likely to cause issues

Just get a steinbauer mate, safest one, won't give you the most power but its less likely to cause issues

As above
In Europe steinbauer are factory fitted to audi's , that should speak for it's self , and it will be the way iam going too

At the end of the day it's personal choice but I have a chip it with egt, and I swear buy power and economy is improved heaps and there after sales support is second to none. Wouldn't recommend anything else, do recommend getting exhaust upgrade as I haven't yet. Definitely makes a difference as I had one on last years model navara.

steinbaeur with egt gauge and freeflowing exhaust( gauge,exhaust fitted ,waiting on chip)

its not ALL about h/p figures

Last edited:
I've got a Chip-It Dominator Mk1 with EGT (the latter not yet installed). It current set on Tune #6. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
My impressions:

Pros
- Very easy to install, both in terms of what's required and the provided doco
- For me, no error codes, no black smoke, no carry-on
- Got rid of that infuriating flat spot they seem to ship with the D40
- Good increase in torque
- Has extended the usable rev range by around 500rpm

Cons
I've not found any real cons yet

Neutral
- Maybe my expectations were too high, but it doesn't quite seem to have the power increase I was expecting (going by the seat-of-the-pants-dyno). Maybe its that I'm used to performance cars, or maybe its that the low revving diesel doesn't behave as I expected, but in any case, I don't feel a great difference in terms of acceleration. I don't think I can really blame this on the chip, as I suspect my expectations were too high. However, in terms of torque, smoothness and pulling power, the chip has made a substantial difference.

- The only other comment I have is that since adding the chip, it feels like the truck runs out of fuel at high revs on cold mornings when the truck's not fully up to temp. I should note here that I'm not using the supplied fuel rail blanking thingy, as I'm a bit too risk averse to remove the safety valve.
At any rate, I can't put this as a negative against the chip at the moment, as I'm suss of my fuel pump as a result of other issues I've had in the past. I'll continue to experiment and update the thread if I can isolate it to the chip or the pump.

Finally a few general comments:

- If you are totally risk averse and want complete safety, don't do a chip. All chips, by their nature, eat into the manufactures safety margins which brings with it some level of risk. The level of risk depends on how hard the chip manufacturer (and the user) push those limits. So to be totally safe, don't use a chip.

- From my research across a bunch of forums prior to the purchase of my chip, it would appear that:
* There would seem to be zero complaints out there about Steinbauers reliability. By the same token, I've not heard anyone raving about the performance increase they've gotten from it. My assessment was that Steinbauer is probably the safest of all the chips, providing "solid" performance.....but nothing hair-raising. My only concern was that I'd buy one and be disappointed with the performance increase. Otherwise, I'd have gone a Steinbauer.
* DP chip seemed to get a bit of a mixed review, but the general consensus seemed to be that they were reliable. Performance gains seemed to be reasonable, though I did read that some people didn't get the performance increase they were expecting. I should point out here that I read across forums for multiple manufacturers and tried to average the results, so that's no comment on how a DP chip may/may not work with a Nav.
* Chip It seems to have the most mixed reviews on reliability and it seems to span different models/manufacturers. I'm always a sceptic when it comes to zealous views on anything (be it, "this is the greatest chip ever" or "this is the worst chip, my car burned to the ground as a result of it") and so try to average out the responses. Most complaints seemed to be around black smoke and trucks going into limp home mode.
Equally, Chip It seems to get the most positive reviews in terms of performance increase.
For me, I felt the EGT module was a good enough safety feature to offset the reliability risks. I'm not happy to fit the fuel rail blanking thing, as I like the idea of a safety relief valve. So overall, I figured I could overcome the reliability issues if they occured.

My 2 bobs.

Last edited:
Back when I bought my Chipit there was no EGT option available. I would have it now if I could, but such is life.

Steinbauer are nice, but life takes turns, and I don't earn the kind of money I did "back when". Being over twice the price of what I paid for the chipit, the steinbauer just wasnt an option.

Most complaints seemed to be around black smoke and trucks going into limp home mode.
Equally, Chip It seems to get the most positive reviews in terms of performance increase.

Saw this and thought I would point out what I suspect is the issue, since chip it increase power by increasing rail pressure if you increase it to much it triggers the pressure relief valve which Denso rate for ~2260BAR keeping in mind the D40 126kw motor and 98kw D22 motor both run at 1800BAR and the 140kw motor runs at 2000BAR that is quite an increase. Alot of the time based on what Robert@chiptuning said their tunes trigger the safety valve which drops pressure to 500BAR so the fuel is not going to be atomised anywhere near as well as at stock pressures which in turn causes your black smoke.

Now chipit's solution is to delete this safety valve which makes no sense to me at all being in my 3rd year studying structural engineering at university, safety is always a primary concern when designing something. This also starts to fill in the blanks as to why peoples injectors break when running chip it chips and not the other brands I am guessing the injectors are the next weakest link once the pressure relief valve is blanked.

just my 2c

Saw this and thought I would point out what I suspect is the issue, since chip it increase power by increasing rail pressure if you increase it to much it triggers the pressure relief valve which Denso rate for ~2260BAR keeping in mind the D40 126kw motor and 98kw D22 motor both run at 1800BAR and the 140kw motor runs at 2000BAR that is quite an increase. Alot of the time based on what Robert@chiptuning said their tunes trigger the safety valve which drops pressure to 500BAR so the fuel is not going to be atomised anywhere near as well as at stock pressures which in turn causes your black smoke.

That seems like a pretty plausible explanation of things.

In terms of the issue I seem to have when the truck and the air temp are very cold, I don't actually get black smoke out the back.....though the symptoms do feel like fuel starvation. Its one (of several) reasons I'm suspicious of the fuel pump.

Now chipit's solution is to delete this safety valve which makes no sense to me

Yeah, like you, I'm not comfortable with the removal of the relief valve either. Regardless of whether there's been any failures, I don't like the idea of a high pressure system with no way to safely bleed off in the event of an unforeseen circumstance.

This also starts to fill in the blanks as to why peoples injectors break when running chip it chips and not the other brands I am guessing the injectors are the next weakest link once the pressure relief valve is blanked.
just my 2c

I didn't realise people were breaking injectors; that is interesting to hear. It also somewhat reinforces my decision to leave the relief valve in place and accept that I can't run higher tunes.

Interesting stuff.....

Id be interested to hear more about this "breaking of injectors". I've been running a chipit for around 3 years now, with (from what I can tell) no ill effects. If someone can provide some evidence of issues though, I am keen to nip any problems in the bud.

i have seen the damage a failed injector caused on a 09 colorado
hole in piston,8k rebuild
well known fuel rail chip was installed
chip had been on ute for about 3 weeks

i have seen the damage a failed injector caused on a 09 colorado
hole in piston,8k rebuild
well known fuel rail chip was installed
chip had been on ute for about 3 weeks

Interesting as that is, I'm not sure of the relevance to Navara's. A bit like saying "Some navaras have had timing chain failures, so all Colorado owners should make sure theirs are changed too". And just because a chip was fitted, was it the actual cause of failure of the injector? If asserted, how was it proven?

Not having a go at you mate, just trying to identify if there is an actual problem or whether this is a case of jumping at shadows.

Back when I bought my Chipit there was no EGT option available. I would have it now if I could, but such is life.

Steinbauer are nice, but life takes turns, and I don't earn the kind of money I did "back when". Being over twice the price of what I paid for the chipit, the steinbauer just wasnt an option.

You can fit a Auber Instruments EGT gauge and run your chip thru that with preset cut out, cut in temps. Can be made to work with any chip and is what Chipit use.

You can fit a Auber Instruments EGT gauge and run your chip thru that with preset cut out, cut in temps. Can be made to work with any chip and is what Chipit use.

Schweet, thanks for that :) Will see how $ go. Good plan though.

Interesting as that is, I'm not sure of the relevance to Navara's. A bit like saying "Some navaras have had timing chain failures, so all Colorado owners should make sure theirs are changed too". And just because a chip was fitted, was it the actual cause of failure of the injector? If asserted, how was it proven?

Not having a go at you mate, just trying to identify if there is an actual problem or whether this is a case of jumping at shadows.

yep you make some good points
but try telling them to byron(colorado owner)
its a bit like playin the pokies
sometimes you sit in front of a good one
sometimes you dont
i was prepared to risk it and purchase a c$$$$t c$$P as i can closely monitor egt and rail pressure
but i hit a pothole when dealing with company and was scared off (thankfully)
now ime definatly waiting for steinbaeur to release theres

Lots of emotions involved in this particular topic , as it relates to the "mine is bigger / faster " than yours , and the other point is nobody wants to know they have a time bomb attached to their truck , and be put down / belittled for making the wrong choice , so its never going to stay on topic lol

Latest posts

Back