D40 Bending chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, i have seen most dual cabs get bent chassis. Have a mate with a d40 whose bent due to the airbags whilst on fraser Is.

yep, i have seen most dual cabs get bent chassis. Have a mate with a d40 whose bent due to the airbags whilst on fraser Is.

This is where it gets interesting. Could we find out if your mate had overloaded the back of his D40 to cause this? Was he towing a heavy boat, or something?

The airbag is NOT going to even impact on the chassis at all unless it's pushed down by something. Finding out how much it was pushed down is crucial.

Maybe this has been said before but I have wondered when towing something with a significant ball weight and using a WDH, whether the forces imposed would be more likely to bend the chassis the opposite way, that is from the back, up?

This is where it gets interesting. Could we find out if your mate had overloaded the back of his D40 to cause this? Was he towing a heavy boat, or something?

The airbag is NOT going to even impact on the chassis at all unless it's pushed down by something. Finding out how much it was pushed down is crucial.

The problem was in the airbag mountings, firestone i believe actually. It involved removing the middle bumpstop to fit the attachment bracket for the airbags. The airbags bracket broke as it was not strong enough designed for where it was, and, as there was no longer a bumpstop, was bashing hard against leaves = bending occuring. Not overloaded.

Mitch

this is a interesting one, i have heard of this vehicle in the goldfields with the bent chassis and when i enquired i was told it was the cause of the suspension upgrade and the way it was driven,,, i find this absolutely crap,,, i hit nissan about there suspension as i had my camper on and it was dragging its ass on the ground, it had a 90kg ball weight,,, all water and etc was up the rear of the trailer,,, all i had in the back of my ute was the dog 20kg, engel and 2 guns and ammo... now explain how a 3t ute sags,, now i have a jayco offroad penguin camper,, it has a ball weight of 135kg,, ass still sagged worse,,, i now have air bags under neath with the standard suspension to level the vehicle.... now i remember my old man in his 04 navara had no dramas with his suspension and his ball weight was heavier,,, the suspension in the d40's are not up to the task and that is how nissan get round the warranty when we upgrade to make the vehicle safe they void cause we changed from original equipment,,, now it is time we called the tv stations about this unsafe practice,, we payed good money for something that is not doing its job.... oh by the way mine is a July 2010 ST/X

i have a 2010 D22 and the suspension was hitting bumpstops when empty...measure clearences and was told was in spec blah blah blah. typical nissan

Kinda makes one hesitant to put a lift in...
And look like a fool when your mates ask you to tow the ski boat down the coast and you've got to say sorry boys she can't tow diddly squat :/

I run boss airbags on D40 K/C. I have a carryme camper which clamps to the tray.With all the gear inside weighs 550 kg.Add to this fuel,tray xtra battery and 60kg towball weight of the boat.(Reckon i,m on the GVM limit)
Is this only happening to duel cabs.

all i had in the back of my ute was the dog 20kg, engel and 2 guns and ammo... now explain how a 3t ute sags,, now i have a jayco offroad penguin camper,, it has a ball weight of 135kg,, ass still sagged worse,,, i now have air bags under neath with the standard suspension to level the vehicle.... now i remember my old man in his 04 navara had no dramas with his suspension and his ball weight was heavier,,, the suspension in the d40's are not up to the task

springs are stuffed. not uncommon. get nissan to fit new ones. D22's are worse but it still comes up in the D40's. its just light weight and poorly made springs, they have always had that problem.

Is this only happening to duel cabs.
mainly dual cabs. thats simply due to where the weight sits. with KC its sits slightly forward of the rear wheels so the load is spread over both axles.
with dual cabs the weight is always behind the rear wheels. further back you place the load the worse it gets.

There are many issues of chassis bending throughout the different manufacturers. The Ford Raptor is bending the chassis from the bump stop on the diff.
The issue here appears to be more a design fault of the airbag manufacturer than Nissan as such. There doesnt appear to be any issues of bending chassis with trucks fitted with bigger springs.
It only appears to happen with trucks with airbags.It pains me to say that Nissan cant be held responsible for an after market part fitted to an area not designed to carry load.If it was a genuine accessory then yes it would be Nissan at fault but an airbag manufacturer designing a bolt on part should take these issues into consideration in their own design.
When I fitted my after market suspension I knew that any damage caused by it would be my own issue and not Nissans. We just have to hope that the persons designing these kits for suspension steering etc has done their homework.
Now all that guff being said I think the design of plating the chassis rails to carry the extra weight from the airbags will end all your issues.With all the work you have already done to your truck just think of this as finally fitting the airbags properly and this is what should have been done in the first place as part of the initial install.
IMO the fault is with the bad design of the airbags

putting my 2 cents on the table

a few pics off the net
mixed29509091.jpg

014-1.jpg

navara2.jpg

All fitted with load helper airbags it would appear
Now the Fords bend
Ford-F-150-Raptor-Frame-Bending.jpg

A few points of order here please.

The first photo is of my vehicle. It is a PATROL that has been converted to a 4door ute.
Secondly, the chassis is NOT bent and it has been plated to stop the tearing of the rear spring top hat. (Optical illusion as the bulkhead is vertical and the cab slopes forward at the window line).
Thirdly, I have had a GVM upgrade (engineered) to 3.8T.

And finally, Paul (turboGQ) ya shoulda recognized me truck. Hows ya goin' mate?

The plot thickens so to speak. Further research (getting underneath every D40 I see) reveals that the D40 STX Dual Cab has two different chassis. The Spanish manufacture chassis has the weak or flex point (mine is Spanish manufacture) but the Korean? manufactured chassis does not. Visually the stronger chassis resembles all other dual cab chassis I have seen with a sweeping thicker curved section where the Spanish manufactured chassis has the weakened section.

I cannot understand why there would be two such dissimilar designs of chassis in the D40 STX and I am stating to wonder if the Federal Government organisation that aproved the D40 for sale in Aust is aware of this. Also whether they aproved both designs for Australian conditions.

So my next step when I get out of the WA goldfields is to make some enquiries and to take my Navara to the relevant agency so that they can see the difference..... More to follow:idea:.

Did anyone find out anything more about the two different chassis?

It can happen even without airbags (no matter what brand the ute) if you overload the rear tub...

pic.php

Last edited:
by the looks of it they had a fair amount of water in those containers

I agree... they look like plastic ice boxes to me, probably with a slurry of icy water and food of some sort inside.

That would be a fair amount of weight and I suspect the ute would have been overloaded.

Which was my point really... if you overload any ute bad enough then something will break.

The difference is that 30 years ago it tended to the the springs and axles which broke and these days it's often the chassis.

I'm not sure that's a step forwards to be honest...

Although obviously not Australian it's just further proof that you can't legislate against morons and our laws need to be made to protect everyone from the lowest common denominator.

Give any vehicle a load limit and some idiot will push that limit...says me who like so many others has towed more than the recommended limit.:redcool:

Latest posts

Back