Headlight upgrade required, please advise.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris C

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up my Nav D40 STX dual cab on Friday, greet thing, really happy with it, until I drove it last night.:sad:

These things would have the worst headlights, both low and high beam, I have ever seen, I played with the head light adjuster, not much difference, there are just big black spots all over the beam.

The light is white, just there is not enough of it, I have been spoiled, current Prado has the factory HID lights which are great, my cruiser ute only has 7" sealed beam 55-60w and it smashes the Nav.

I didn't want to put HID in them, but I think I will have to, any advise on what kits you guys have used, ebay? etc what colour (4500-6000k?)

I have HID spotties on the cruiser and will be fitting them to the Nav once the Bar goes on, but I still need a decent low beam, the standard ones are crap.

This is the only thing I dont like about the car, not being a whinger, its just disapointing that in 201 you can buy a vehicle with such poor lights.

There has been a few threads over the last year or so about changing to HID's and changing globes. I seem to remember someone (maybe Old_tony) upgrading the globes, and some else (maybe AussieF) looking at the options for upgrading to HIDS, or the newer models or something. Try and advanced search for "headlights" in the D40 section you should get enough hits to keep you reading for an hour or so atleast.

And let us know what you find out, i'm keen to upgrade mine too as they are shocking.

I was wondering if those angel eyes ones off ebay would be any better light output or if they are just for show

Easy beans girls just install the Narva, Phillips, Sylvania "Plus 50" or even "Plus 90" headlight globes. No extra load on the electrical and 100% legal and it does work.
Best place to buy globes I have found is EvilBay and look world wide. I get Sylvania or Phillips Nitebreakers ( cant remember exact details ) landed at your door for about $40 bucks approx half the price we pay here.

Just did a really quick search and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Nightbreaker-PLUS-OSRAM-90-night-breaker-auto-/270803860228?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0d2afb04

Last edited:
I have a 6000k phillips HID kit in my truck, I know they are illegal, but they work so goddamn good! 6k isn't too bright so doesn't piss too many other road users off.

just remember to get H4 designed lights to fit aussie cars.

Brett

Silly question but did you try adjusting the height of the lights?
Before you get your heart set on illegal HID conversions have a read of this
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Hi, Thanks for the question and information, I did adjust the headlights, but as I have since found out, they dont move whilst on high beam, put on low beam and they will move as the adjustor is rolled.

The low beam, after driving in to work this morning, and having adjusted the lights on a clear, open section of road with no street lights, is OK, a little dull, but OK, it is the high beam that is the problem, it has holes everwhere in it, black spots that could hide an elephant, let alone a roo.

The fact that its high beam mean I can go a long way to fixing it with extra driving lights I have, I will also look at upgradeing the bulbs too.

As for the HID kits I have bought, they can stay on the shelf until I have exhausted all other avenues to fix, as I hate those poxy looking ricers getting around with headlights so blue and dazzling, poorly adjusted, throwing too much light in every direction, I will avoid doing at all cost, but headlights are important to me.

I live out of town, I leave for work at 4.30 am and return around 7.30pm, so almost all of my driving is done in the dark. this time of year anyway.

The article you provided was a good read and backed up what I thought, but tried to ignore. I might use the kits (with new bulbs) to upgrade my 225 narva spotties I have laving around.

Thanks again.

Yes Hi beam can be a smidge underwhelming. I have 9" LightForce lights on the front and soon to have a 120 watt LED bar in the grill of the bullbar. Your better off trying to get more lighting from a set of driving lights .You can tune your lights to lo beam and with brighter "Plus 90 " or "Plus 50" globes you will notice the difference.
Even the factory fog lights help fill in the standard headlight pattern.

Even the high beams with the HID's aren't the best with the halogen designed lights. But the stock shitty yellow lights will never see light of day in my d22 again. You also will find that your new 6k hid's wont give you to much trouble, just ensure they aren't pointed to high. They dont look blue from a distance and arent THAT bright. I haven't had any trouble with mine.

Brett

^ What he said.

The HID high beam isn't awesome, but then my HID spotties come out to play and you can see everything.

Hi Chris

I had the same issue with my D40 and when I replaced the Bulbs with 100watts bulbs and it made little difference . I even tried one of those 60 watt bulbs that are supposed to give 100% more light and 35 more metres distance but they seemed to be much the same as the stock bulbs.

I noticed when changing the bulbs that the cables where extreme small from the factory connecting the headlights and Since I make wiring harnesses and saw that there is booster harnesses on the web but they wanted $200 plus for the harness I made my own.

I put the largest automotive cable single core cable into the harness and high end components relays etc and it made a huge difference. I then tested the 2 types of bulbs together and the 100 watts are definately better than the 60 watt ones that say 100% more light.

I made a few harnesses for a couple of mates and I just put them on Ebay to see how they go for $98.00. You can fit these in minutes

Chris it definitely worth upgrading your wiring to the headlights . you can also DIY
quite easily

Cheers

Rob

I have fitted cheapy 100w globes tote Nav. 2 months going strong. So
Much more light and a nice high beam.
Hasn't melted anything yet.
Was going to fit out roo lites with HID's and then thought. The reflection off highway signs and such is annoying enough already. And for hunting these lights are good enough. Eventually may fit a led light bar. But can't justify the money. Most of my hunting is on foot anyways

I've got IPF Fatboys in place of my 55/60W halogen headlight globes. The light output is greatly improved.

I added IPF 800XS driving lights to give me some distance - the stockers were shockers, and the Fatboys didn't improve the range much (remember, a LOT of our driving is long-haul towing on highway). They're good, but I'm looking to replace the 100W halogen globes with 100W HIDs. That ought to fry the roos before we get to them so it'll just be a matter of holding out a fork and grab a kanga sanga on the road.

I would LOVE to have some additional light off to the sides - about 30 degrees left and right - and will probably put some 55W halogen (or 35W HID) aimed appropriately so we can see around those tight forest bends.

Running 6000k HID headlight kit in mine and it's good on low beam but on high beam the light is everywhere. Had this kit on my D22 and it was better on it as the headlight reflectors are better i reckon.

Highbeam no drama's now as lightforce XGT 55w HID pencil beams on the bottom and 70w HID spread on top so shed loads of light now

Attachments

• P1250006.JPG
    P1250006.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 152
i put a set of philips 6000k hid in my d22 and they shit all over the stock globes, cost $290 (yes a bit expensive but well worth it i rekon as u get what u pay for)

I've got the ipf fatboys and I've been a little disappointed then to have one blow after 10mths use I'm quiet disappointed especially with what I paid for them.

Hi guys

Needing to upgrade from standard stock bulbs On my st x 2011
Has anyone know If these will work n not burn n anyone tryed them?
H4 100/55W Xenon Rainbow*Superwhite*Headlight Globe Kit*
All the help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Latest posts

Back