ZD30 consult/obd android

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been searching for an option to connect my zd30 to my android phone for error code/diagnostic and general monitoring purposes. After searching through various threads both here and on patrol forums the common problem is the OBD plug on my D22 with ECU using Consult1. All the consult readers I could find fit only the old 14 pin plug. The ECUtalk cable will fit I believe but it is a Windows program. After much searching I have finally found an adapterhttp://www.stahlcar.nz/diagnostic-tools/obd1-tools/obd1-pc/nissan-bluetooth.
They have told me that it will do the trick and the best bet for software is nissan datascan 1. Unless anyone else has any tips I will give it a go. (It is $90....)
Kinda pisses me that OBD2 BT plugs can be had for under $20 but this is the best I can find
Cheers all

OBD-II is the current common standard. The problem with older cars (even up to the 2006 D22) is that Nissan used a custom protocol. Manufacturers weren't obliged to conform to any standard and basically made their own unique one, which also deterred third parties from using diagnostic tools on the cars.

It was a dumb idea, because you can pretty well diagnose a great many problems just by listening to the description of the problem - forums like this one would enjoy much less success if that weren't the case - and once a decent standard that covered a great many components of the car's network (known as a CAN) was developed it became adopted by most of the community.

There are still issues, variations in the actual language and speed used. For instance (and I'll invite owners of STX550 and NP300s to comment here) my 2009 YD25 uses an OBD-II physical port and the ISO 14230-4 protocol at 10.4k baud.

Unfortunately for owners of older cars there's not a lot of options available, and as those cars start to disappear, support for those cars will similarly dry up. We're on a bender - upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!

Or do it the old fashioned way ... which still works a treat in person and especially on the forum, thanks to a large number of people who visit this forum and help other Nav owners out with their experience.

Yup. It runs fine on nds1, haven't had any luck with torque though. I have had a look at the link to stahlcar i posted originally and it doesn't show the adaptor on that unit anymore. If you are interested I would drop them an email and ask about that. They got back to me pretty much straight away and were fine to deal with. I took a screen shot before so I will have a look for it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

0d21f15d38a28afed415cb57a8365a3f.jpg

Be intetesting to see how u go with it wheb u get a chance to have more of a play with it.

Hey mate, Just wondering. will this work for the zd30 2005 d22? Im trying to get up to date with this consult stuff and its a bit much. I just want to be able to monitor water temps for my trip across through the great central road. Any info you have will be appreciated.

Yeah mine is 05 zd30. The unit works well on my galaxy s4. Am going to get an android double din head unit soon to run it through. I am using the nds1 app but it also comes with ecu talk to connect to a windows laptop with bluetooth. I have some screen shots to attach if I can find them

These are some of the options to add to the screen, though it appears not all are supported. Can display error codes too though thankfully I have yet to see one!

8b862628d494cdeafa03d21e88269524.jpg

Yeah mine is 05 zd30. The unit works well on my galaxy s4. Am going to get an android double din head unit soon to run it through. I am using the nds1 app but it also comes with ecu talk to connect to a windows laptop with bluetooth. I have some screen shots to attach if I can find them

sorry to sound like a complete retard. But what exactly did you purchase?

id love to have this setup for my up and coming trip.

Cheers mate.

No problem mate. I wish I could have found the info a little more easily. We are a bit behind the 8 ball with the OBD2 plug in the car but running Consult protocol.
There is a link earlier in the thread to the mob I got it from called Stahlcar in NZ. It comes as two parts, one OBD plug and the bluetooth consult unit that plugs into that. It plugs into the port found under the dash below the steering wheel

Attachments

• 20160927_164340.jpg
    20160927_164340.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 212
I'd you have an android phone it is as simple as installing the NDS1 app and pairing with the unit. The dashboard can be personalized with the parameters you want to display
3037c110461120e1447cbddf1be31f1e.jpg
f53d6d72d7dcee619b71789f68df8f48.jpg

Latest posts

Back