NEW to NAVs 2.5 vs 3.0 and MORE

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.idk

Reaction score
SORRY IF THIS IS A COMMON QUESTION
Im looking into buying a D22 but want to know about the engines from other NAV drivers. been out of the 4x4 scene for a while haven't owned a 4wd since my early model 60 series

1) 3.0 and 2.5 litre what are the most common problems
2)(sort of long question) are they that underpowered? and if I put a new exhaust and chip it will the 2,5 be better then the 3lite and does a new exhaust and chip have a very noticeable effect on it?

3) what are things to look for when buying them?

cheers

the 2.5 litre navaras are the later models as opposed to the earlier model 3 litre navaras. what year model were you looking at ?

what ever is in my budget and is th ebest deal I can find
im not really set on one over the other just want to know anything and everything about the 2 options

if I can get a new 2.5 ill probs get new but there are some realy good a late 3.0 like 05/06 going for a little bit cheaper

Like everything mate some will swear one is great the other shit. I have the ZD30 and my experience has been great. I dont tow really other than a trailer of sand from time to time but I have no problems with it being underpowered. Having said that I am always after more power, even in my 350 Statesman!
I am looking to fit a 3" exhaust, intercooler and remapped ECU soon.
I regard to problems, my turbo started leaking a bit of oil around 220k but that is an easy change, otherwise no dramas for me. If you have access to an ECU diagnostic tool it would be worth checking the fuel pump performance for the ZD30 before buying. A recon unit is around $3500ish. Mine is still ok, read this link http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/nissan-navara-d22-zd30-black-smoke-low-power/
If you are in Perth mate I can help you out

As for the 2.5 someone else will need to help you out there. I believe there can be a timing chain wear problem but that may only be early ones

I am sure both camps will recommend EGR blank and catchcan install and probably a manifold decarb if it has done a lot of kms. There is a great tutorial on here for the 3.0l. I did mine around 3 months ago
The model has run for years so body/trim parts etc should be pretty easy to get hold of.
Good luck champ

always remember the re sale value, the later the model plus the lower the K,s will get you more dollars when you should decide to sell.

There are those who specifically seek out the zd30 model, believing it the superior engine. More basic, tougher, built in japan, couple extra cubes and a bit more grunt. Im not saying they're wrong, but they are getting older though, could be tough finding a good one these days, might be better to get a much younger yd25. I would certainly take a zd30 over a yd25 all else being equal, but I'm biased. ;)

Last edited:
everytime i see a d22 with the zd30 i laugh at the pig top speed, struggling to get to 4,000 rpms or accelerate hard, while i can do 4,900 rpms on the yd25 anyday and get pasts the zd30 easily from a dead start.
is a descent engine tho, cabstars have them and cant get over 100kms thats something!

everytime i see a d22 with the zd30 i laugh at the pig top speed, struggling to get to 4,000 rpms or accelerate hard, while i can do 4,900 rpms on the yd25 anyday and get pasts the zd30 easily from a dead start.
is a descent engine tho, cabstars have them and cant get over 100kms thats something!

Still amazed at dickheads that have NO IDEA about how a diesel engine works, 4900rpm idiot, more like the ZD30 drivers are laughing at you!

Last edited:

The zd30 d22 had higher output than the yd25 model IIRC, and a bit more bottom end. Both pretty much the same though. FWIW I found my zd30 smoother revving than yd25's that I've driven.
4900rpm! you would go faster if you changed gears a bit earlier than that chasing those pesky 4 ton Cabstars. And kinder to that poor little engine.

the better engine and the superior model is in europe since 2002 i mean you guys didnt even have remote keyless entry in 2016 lol why bother.
yes i rev to the max from time to time, 180,000 and going like day 1 so yea revving a diesel engine from time to time wont do a damn thing to it. its even on the owners manual 4,900 is max and max i rev when i feel like it. what can possible happen to a well maintained engine?
its a Japanesse engine not some counterfake Thailand one ! with denso electrics from bloody hungary!

my 2015 d-22 had the option of keyless remote for an extra $120 fitted. the funny thing about taking a diesel engine to its near maximum rpms is , the engine will not develop any more power than say if you reved the engine to a max of 4.5 k. the red line starts at 5k. a mate owned a jap nissan patrol and he used to over rev the engine like driving a sports car until the day came when the conrods snapped and went through the engine block . you need to look at the power curves on a dyno read out to understand why over reving a diesel engine has no gains. its torque you want.

my 2015 d-22 had the option of keyless remote for an extra $120 fitted. the funny thing about taking a diesel engine to its near maximum rpms is , the engine will not develop any more power than say if you reved the engine to a max of 4.5 k. the red line starts at 5k. a mate owned a jap nissan patrol and he used to over rev the engine like driving a sports car until the day came when the conrods snapped and went through the engine block . you need to look at the power curves on a dyno read out to understand why over reving a diesel engine has no gains. its torque you want.

yes yes i know max power is around 4,000 rpm but lets say you are in fifth gear and want top speed possible u will just rev as far as it goes. have done a pretty ok max km/h of 170 which is pretty impresive for a truck of its age.
if and when the time comes the conrods will snap which i very much doubt i will just get another engine or another truck?
the option you were offered isnt for factory remote entry but some dealer additive.
i mean no offence but there is not even option for auto aircondition on latest model and they even removed vital components like MAP sensor from the intercooler haha quality much?

i have the latest d-22 made, why would you want auto aircon where all you need to do is push a button to turn the air on or off plus isn,t it good they got rid of the not so reliable MAF sensor that everyone had issues with , not just in the navaras but other vehicles like mitsubishis etc etc , clean the maf and she will run better. the more basic a vehicle these days the better, i just wish my model had wind up windows as i hate those electric windows that eventually stuff up.

i have the latest d-22 made, why would you want auto aircon where all you need to do is push a button to turn the air on or off plus isn,t it good they got rid of the not so reliable MAF sensor that everyone had issues with , not just in the navaras but other vehicles like mitsubishis etc etc , clean the maf and she will run better. the more basic a vehicle these days the better, i just wish my model had wind up windows as i hate those electric windows that eventually stuff up.

you should buy a D21 then lol

SORRY IF THIS IS A COMMON QUESTION
Im looking into buying a D22 but want to know about the engines from other NAV drivers. been out of the 4x4 scene for a while haven't owned a 4wd since my early model 60 series

1) 3.0 and 2.5 litre what are the most common problems
2)(sort of long question) are they that underpowered? and if I put a new exhaust and chip it will the 2,5 be better then the 3lite and does a new exhaust and chip have a very noticeable effect on it?

3) what are things to look for when buying them?

cheers

I don't know if this discussion has helped you mate, as I said before each model has its fans and detractors!
I am sure there are a few things to look out for with when looking at the 2.5, maybe look through some other links in the forum. If aircon is your concern you should be fully informed now😉
Why the D22 specificly if I might ask?

Everyone knows the manual air-con and wind up windows on a zd30 make more torque down low.
But the climate control on a yd25 goes to 4900rpm when your valve-bouncing it past Cabstar light trucks in top gear at 180kmh.

Everyone knows the manual air-con and wind up windows on a zd30 make more torque down low.
But the climate control on a yd25 goes to 4900rpm when your valve-bouncing it past Cabstar light trucks in top gear at 180kmh.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:Well said young rabbit man that just about wraps this thread up lol lol

Latest posts

Back