What to buy?!?! HELP!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomHogan

Reaction score
In a bit of situation.
Its a good situation though.

I have saved up enough for a next big purchase but i dont know what to get first.
My options at the moment are;

- 3" exhaust system with ChipIt chip
- 2" Lift
- Snorkel
- Steel Protector Bars all round

Any other mods that you think will help would be amazing too.
im thinking a snorkel will go well as i go through puddles a bit.
and more power is always better. hmmm....

Cheers guys!

It all depend on what you do/want to do with your nav. If you do lots of 4wd work and want to push it a bit harder get a lift. If you just cruise the hiway/beach or tow a trailer go for a chip. The bar work I don't think I would do till after a lift.

Just my opinion anyway

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Forum Runner

Wish I had the same problem! Probably go the steel protection bars as they are pricey and well worth their weight in gold in the bush.

Cheers Brad

I go bush every weekend and weekdays when i have work off.
Was mostly puddles during winter with the rain. Now most have dried up so there isnt many deep water holes anymore here. So snorkel can wait.

I don't tow a trailer very often at all, just pretty hilly around my area and some extra push up the hills would be great.

Diffs do scrape a little when going through some of the tracks around here. so the lift will help that out a lot

Steel protector bars, as Nevyn said, worth their weigh in gold
(know where i can get these for a good price? brands, websites, locations?)

If your diffs are scraping, your lift won't directly help - your diff height can only be changed by changing tyres and/or rims. Get a set of steel 16x8 rims and drop some 285/85 muddies on them. Your axle centres will be lifted from 381mm (standard) to 445mm - in other words, the bottom of your diff will rise by 64mm.

However, you can't really fit rubber like that underneath without a lift and some work on the front guards. It might be best to try and combine a 50mm suspension lift with a 50mm body lift to give you clearance. Those tyres will make the engine labour a lot more, so it would be best to limit their use to off-road - besides, they're probably well outside the legal limit for the Navara.

It'll look bloody mean though. Total height change afterwards should be 164mm.

If your bullbar is from ARB, I think they have brush bars that just bolt on. Might be worth talking to them about it. The ARB bar - in my opinion - sets the standard by which other bars have to measure up to.

So, once you've grabbed your lift and bigger tyres and bolted all that steel on you might be looking at some extra power. You can get a No-Limits chip for about $150 or something like that on e-Bay - it's purely an overfueller. Make sure it works on your type of diesel - I'm not sure, they might be for Common Rails only. ChipIt have a solution for yours and it makes way more power than standard - but as you know that's pricey. You don't NEED that power straight off the bat to enjoy off-roading, but it'll be nice to have one day.

My opinion: make the vehicle more capable first, then get the ponies needed.

While you're adding ponies, consider an intercooler if you don't have one. Either an ASE kit for around the $1400-1500 mark or grab an XR6 and stuff that in the front yourself. It won't give you a LOT of extra horsepower, but it will save you an expensive rebuild if the turbo ever lets go.

^^^^^ what he said!

And my 2 cents, go the lift first, and if you have leftover money, get transfer and sump guards. More clearance (rollover) underneath, more travel, smoother ride and you protect all the vitals. All very good things for going bush.

After that, I'd throw on some better rubber, with a 2" sus lift you'll fit 265/75/16 tyres no worries with only minimal scrubbing. Talk to ZORDO on here to get the best deal on your suspension bits (and do torsion bar at the same time)

Then I'd look at getting a steel bar up front. (I've got an alloy bar for sale if you want something in the mean time - $250 and I'm in brissy)

Then snorkel and exhaust. 80 series airbox and egr mods.

Intercooler

Then lastly I'd put the chip in and if possible, get it dyno tuned.

My train of thought is, make it capable, then make it fly.

I just got a new set of tyres on. Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib which are 2657516. so ill be holding off on a new set for a long time now.

No arb bar as of yet, just have the stock standard alloy bar from nissan. will upgrade this soon to an arb bar with side bars and also a new rear bar (arb steel rear bars look a lot better then the nissan one)

Went to my mechanic today. I am going to go with the lift first. Getting a dobinsons kit for about 1,200 with everything included (including HD torsion bars)

Also went to the local exhaust shop today and a 3" system with dump pipe and all other bits and peices included and fitted was 1,450.

Old.Tony, that NoLimits chip, does it have the same outcomes as the chipit chip?

P.S. I like both of your ways of thinking, making it capable, then make it fly. defiantly a saying ill be incorporating now! :)

Definitely! All I've got left on the "make it capable" list of things is a front lokka and a 2" body lift, (may look at v6 diffs and 33's) and on the "make it fly" list, is an intercooler and chip.

Outside of that, she's pretty darn good right now.

Just had a look at your rig joshman.
looks super clean and nice too!

are you thinking of getting a steal bar and winch too? or are you going to keep the alloy bar on?

Hah, you must be looking at some old photos. Look for a thread called "clarky" in the members ride section to see the rig as she stands now.

Already got the steel bar, just need the winch.

Just had a look at that thread.
Its set up almost exactly how I want mine done eventually, with the inclusion of a roof top tent.

Good job on the mods!

My vote is the Chip and exhaust.

You will love it even more then and want to spend more cash on it.

Old.Tony, that NoLimits chip, does it have the same outcomes as the chipit chip?

They are different beasts.

The No-Limits chip is purely a "increase the fuel" job. It hooks into your throttle, battery and fuel pump.

The ChipIt chip does more, it monitors EGT (exhaust gas temp) and turns itself off if you're going too hard (I am not talking about Kylie Minogue here). I did read somewhere that it will also reduce the fuel usage when you back off the throttle, which not only assists to reduce consumption, but should help with engine braking as well.

Visit Works With ANY Diesel Engine. | 50% More Power To Your Diesel Engine! for full details of what their chip can do and what it comes with.

One statement about the D40 on the Chip It site I thought a little odd was in relation to pre-chip economy figures, indicating that rather than achieving Nissan's claimed economy figures, "You get lumbered with 16 – 18 ltr/100 as a minimum!!!"

I know some people complain of really high fuel usage but I have never been near those "minimum" figures.

That is a strange one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back