D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now has 7000km on the clock and returning around 13.7ltr/100km. My observation is that with every piece of kit I add.....ergo increase it weight....the more the fuel consumption goes up. Gotta say while this machine has much much much more get up and go than my old 2.8 tdi GU patrol 5 speed manual....it sure is thirsty by comparison. Over 280000km in the GU I averaged 12.33 ltr/100km. Expected a bit of a thirst with the auto 2.5...well moreso than the equivalent manual...but seems this bugger can drink better than most sailors I've known. There are two things that I thing are causing the problem....the transmission is mismatched to the engine: slight incline and it shifts back a gear rather than let the torque do the work, and I reckon the DPF is causing a restriction in gas flow. Reckon once the warranty period is over I will be looking for an aftermarket exhaust solution that doesn't include a DPF. Unfortunately this is probably some way off as I believe that there is something like 7 sensors in the DPF that feed info back to the ECU.

Used to have a 2008 D40 Auto. Thing would only do 450 km per tank no matter what. Full load, empty always 450. Took it back to Nissan twice to have it checked, tried for a bigger exhaust but the fitter just shook his head. Fuel light would come on and I would only have 10km warning (found out the hard way).
Well I sold it after 7 months and kept my d22 which gave me 600 km fully loaded. A petrol V8 would give me better milage.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the consumption in our petrol D40 auto, it's about the same as my old R50 Pathfinder around town and about 1-2L/100 better at highway speeds 110+kph. But it's early days yet as have done only 3650km avg overall 14.9 L/100km. Best so far 13.6 avg for recent 1650km round trip up to Broken Hill pretty well all at highway speeds 110+kph on GPS.

Generally getting 15-16 around town. Worst so far was 21.3 with a little bit of towing included but maybe this was crook fill (previous tank was 13.7 for town use) or bowser, as you cant really compare just 1 fill as bowser may not be correct or car not level when filling etc. ( I once had a bowser tell me I'd put 79 liters in a tank that only held 70 and it wasn't empty when I fueled up so I only paid for 70 left my full details with the attendant if they wanted to take it further)

When fuel light comes on seems it has 15L left in the tank. 1/4 tank mark it has 25L left in tank, and for the 3/4 full mark it has 55L left in tank, 1/2 full 40L left in tank. So the middle 1/3 of the tank it just seems like it eats thru the fuel but it seems it's only really 30L of actual fuel.

We'll get to do some serious towing in May and over the following 3 months as we head up to Cape York with the van in tow, around 12000km or so. will be interesting to see how the D40 performs compared to our old R50 tow tug.

cya
Graham

D40 Auto road trip fuel stats

16 day 7000km Adelaide to Bundaberg and Back

Loaded with camping gear in tray, clothing and shoe collection on back seat, Oz Tent on roof rack Sat on 95kph most of trip (100kph on dial)

BEST tank 9.5 l/ 100km

Overall Average 10.4 l /100km

Earlier trip to Toora along coast.

3500km touring with 2.6 tonne van best 19 l /100km, worst 20l / 100km

Now filled up tank with BP Ultra be inteserte to see what difference that makes.

Vehicle now clocked up 22,000 km. June 08 model

Russell

I would struggle to get high 500's around town and on the highway it would be consistantly around 10/11 k's per 100. (diesel/manual)
Towing my 2.5 tonne boat best 15.5/100 worst 19/100/
Must say its not as economical as i thought it would be but to be honest i have never thought of 4wd vehicles as being economical.
I also have 2.5 turbo diesel VW van which is a 5 cylinder six speed manual and it manages around 850k/74 litres around town driven like a race car. It also has a large range of stock in the back that i carry as well.

I get about 13l/100km in my D40 T/D Auto. About 520km until the light comes on. This is with the stock tyres on. Not great really, I've done 20,000 now.

My wife's 2.9L CRDI Highlander always gets around 8L per 100. (often lower) I wonder what Nissan have done wrong with the 2.5 CRDI.

Sure a D40 would probably be heavier but surely not enough.

My wife's 2.9L CRDI Highlander always gets around 8L per 100. (often lower) I wonder what Nissan have done wrong with the 2.5 CRDI.

Sure a D40 would probably be heavier but surely not enough.

Not even sure what a Highlander is, but the Nav is one big ass truck. 2.8 ton and as aerodynamic as a brick., to get 10l per 100 is quite an engineering feat!.

Its a Hyundai Terracan 4x4.

Considering a good number of them don't get 10L per 100kays I wouldn't say "they" are an engineering feat.

At best you could say that some are.

It seems that it luck of the draw when buying one.

My D40 was very thirsty for the first 1500klms (Around the 14-16l/100k). Reported it at the service & they said they checked it out, but found nothing wrong & it should get better as it got a few more k's on the clock.
I added a fuel additive from Neways to the next full tank & it is now getting around 10l/110k at the last fill. Would dirty fuel make that much difference? I have also started to change gears at 3000rpm.
Phil

my D40 2.5d manual returns 12-13ltrs per 100km with 250 kgs of tools and ladders on the roof. It's driven like a race car and alot of my driving is in the high country. Econ doesn't change much country or city always gets about the same. Although the red light comes on 100 kms before empty!! A recent high speed 130kph+ drive with three adults and a huge load of gear including spare tyres on roof it, Avraged about 16ltrs-100kms. Not to bad I thought!!!

I've had my D40 6spd, 2.5 for just over a month. Getting 10.86l / 100kms around town, just did a run from far south coast N.S.W to Canberra, 548.8km return trip used 51.24litres which equates to 9.34l / 100kms I'm pretty happy with that. Standard rig with steel bar and canopy.

Mick

I've clocked 31'000k in my D40 and for a auto 2.5 TD i'm getting 11.5lt/100 around town...

I have driven back and forth from brisbane to Gold Coast all this week loaded with 4 passangers everyday..

I got 733klm for 66lt diesel. = 9lt / 100km... Not bad and quite an improvement on the last time I was working in Brisbane...

The D40 just keeps on getting better with the more miles I put on it.. It now has 33'000km...

Last edited:
i dont know how accurate the scangauge is but on a 06 rx auto it gives me 9.8 av in town 245/75 16 some tools in the back open tray and not driving very slow at all cant ask for more

Just purchased with 50k on the clock. 6 speed diesel and only returning 600kms when the light comes on. MAjority of that 600km on highway cycle at 110kms.
Previous Navara was a 5sp D22 and used to get 750kms out of a 60 litre tank.
I am suggesting that around the 100,000 mark it will loosen up? Just like the D22 did.
Any ideas on how to get better economy out of the D40? I was quoted 9l/100ks out of the dealer.

if your fuel gauge is the same as mine.. you will have about 20L left in the tank.. mine goes for another 200kms when the light comes on... im pretty sure my light comes on early!

G'day Guys,
I've been researching for a while what the best options are for D40 T/D Auto fuel milage are and wondering if someone can help with the myths to help improve. I am a qualified Diesel Mechanic with Electronic diesel engine management exp as well but been away from the industry now for a bit,
I don't really care how much the fuel costs, got a fuel card, but want the range!!
I'm Looking at removal of DPF and "Cheating" the sensors with normal exhaust pipe?
Looking at blocking the EGR valve, heard this can work, not sure if this was done on a auto or manual to improve economy?
Upgrade exhaust?
I'm currently getting the run of the mill 450-490km before the light comes on, my mate has a 06 RX d40 T/D Auto, and he's getting 420-450 for half a tank, only difference is he's running 31's and i'm on 32's.
We both have the same extra's as in, bullbar winch, canopy ect, ect, but his with 50,000kms will acheive factory specs (I occasionly use a DP chip and get slightly better economy, but alot of soot)
(I'm also using the correct oil specified for DPF.
Love to know if anyone has recovered their T/D auto from the poor figures back to something reasonable?

Thanks,

Tim

My D40 was very thirsty for the first 1500klms (Around the 14-16l/100k). Reported it at the service & they said they checked it out, but found nothing wrong & it should get better as it got a few more k's on the clock.
I added a fuel additive from Neways to the next full tank & it is now getting around 10l/110k at the last fill. Would dirty fuel make that much difference? I have also started to change gears at 3000rpm.
Phil

Is Yours an Auto as well?

Latest posts

Back