D40 high output low stall convertor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
We have 2010 D40 2.5 litre Auto and tow 1.7 tonne off-road camper.
Looking at installing High output Low stall Convertor to reduce the high RPMs,
whilst towing in 4th gear.
Any advice?
Anyone done this?
Thanks.

Dave has pointed you in the right direction in Australia. I haven't done it, but I've contemplated it.

Personally I don't tow in 4th, I leave it in overdrive and allow the TCC to lock. The lower stall speed TC would help me, but I've got other things to spend my $ on at the moment. If my TC failed I'd be on to them in a flash!

We're now towing 2.5T (we towed our 1.8T van that you see in my current sig for around 50,000km or so) but I've only got part of two different tanks of fuel under its belt, so it's hard to gauge economy figures. It's looking a little like 19LPHK staying at the speed limit, and around 15LPHK if I sit on 85 km/h, but we've got a trip at Easter that should use most of a tankful so we'll be able to get a much better idea of consumption then.

Wholesale Automatics will probably try to sell you their new valve body as well. It might be worth it - particularly if they can give you a switch that locks the TCC whenever you want it. You'll have to ask - they produce a TCC override for other brands, but they ignored my email query about a TCC lock for the D40.

Hi,
We have 2010 D40 2.5 litre Auto and tow 1.7 tonne off-road camper.
Looking at installing High output Low stall Convertor to reduce the high RPMs,
whilst towing in 4th gear.
Any advice?
Anyone done this?
Thanks.

A what..........

Dave has pointed you in the right direction in Australia. I haven't done it, but I've contemplated it.

Personally I don't tow in 4th, I leave it in overdrive and allow the TCC to lock. The lower stall speed TC would help me, but I've got other things to spend my $ on at the moment. If my TC failed I'd be on to them in a flash!

We're now towing 2.5T (we towed our 1.8T van that you see in my current sig for around 50,000km or so) but I've only got part of two different tanks of fuel under its belt, so it's hard to gauge economy figures. It's looking a little like 19LPHK staying at the speed limit, and around 15LPHK if I sit on 85 km/h, but we've got a trip at Easter that should use most of a tankful so we'll be able to get a much better idea of consumption then.

Wholesale Automatics will probably try to sell you their new valve body as well. It might be worth it - particularly if they can give you a switch that locks the TCC whenever you want it. You'll have to ask - they produce a TCC override for other brands, but they ignored my email query about a TCC lock for the D40.

Don't think they do a TCC lock for the D40 to much messing around

Dave, I have the Wholesale Automatics stall converter & valve body in my 07 D40. I only use for towing mainly on country hwy & dirt roads. It has vastly improved the towing of my 2.6t van. you can't have a manual TCC lock from W.A. however the transmission has stopped hunting around and roaring on the hwy at the slightest incline. It is much less stressful driving long distances. MPG is c16 lph @ c90kph. I also have a thermo fan driven transmission cooler mounted underneath my tub, and had the factory front mounted cooler removed.

Redbarn how long have you had the auto upgrades in. I've been thinking of putting them in but worry about the the diagnostics and sensors stuffing something up. I'm a bit gun shy because I had a Tiapan exhaust put in and it put my car into limp mode and had to put original exhaust back on to fix it. I'm only towing a 1.9t van but noticed transmission hump getting a bit warm. Was hoping these upgrades might help.

Fatboy, I've had both in for approx a year now and am very happy with the upgrade. no trouble with sensors or codes. I tow alot of dirt & off-road tracks and have done c15k towing 2.6Twith it. It has completely sorted out the high revving, roaring & hunting for gears and stays in TC lockup much longer going up hills when we're towing. It has improved shifting as well. I would do it again in an instant. I have 2 external Trans coolers & fans which I think help a lot towing heavy loads.

Last edited:
Redbarn, any chance on getting a pic of your tranny cooler set up ?

Thanks for the reply Redbarn. Just have to save up the coin to get them. I'm also looking forward to see your cooler setup.

I haven't forgott about pictures. I'm currently out of town for a few more weeks & will take them on my return.

I have taken some pictures of my setup, Can I email one of you guys to post as I am away from my office and only have my phone?

Regards
Rob

Stock tc whit 3000rpm is soo wrong for thjs small diesel whit small turbo.

Only find the low stall tc in aus. Shipping become so expensive for me.
But for sure Dacco or others have low stall tc to r5 autogearbox i hope

Latest posts

Back