d40 aux tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys so I wanna up my fuel capacity.... I'm in two mind weather to add a 70lt gravity fed tank to my car or take out standard tank and add like a new 150ish litre long range tank. Its a d40 2.5 diesel.

What have people done already. Any thoughts or is it pretty much 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Cheers

I have a whole new 140l tank, which was in the wagon when I bought it and is awesome and gives me rediculous range (way over 1200km - I have never actually found out how far I can actually go but get >200km once the light comes on).

The problem I have with it is that it hangs about 3/4 of an inch below the chasis, and over rocky bumpy tacks feels like it is a weakness in the wagon.

They guys who service my ute tell me it is the most heavy duty fuel tank they have ever seen, so that gives me a bit of piece of mind, but every now and then when it clips a rock I cringe.......

But all things considered, it is an asset and I would probably do it again

I've had a Long Ranger added to mine. Extra 70L is very handy! Being an aux tank, it empties first before the main tank - so you don't get to see any movement in the fuel gauge until you're onto the main tank, but the rate of descent of the needle is then what you're accustomed to, and more importantly severe changes in vehicle orientation (eg steep descents/climbs) don't expose the fuel pickup.

On that tank, with 4 adults + clothes for a week (and the fridge and a few other things) we drove 1200km and still had 30L in the tank. When we're towing, I add 5 jerry cans filled to exactly 20L each giving me a total capacity of 250L (which is the maximum a small vehicle is allowed to carry).

The aux tank doesn't sit too low or interfere with the exhaust either. It's quite clever!

I had that exact one quoted at my local arb dealer. Sounded good to me �� just sick of filling my car up Friday night then topping it up Sunday for the new week.

Mine was done by Ultimate 4x4 in Perth, but try to get one that is flush with the Chasis if possible.... just for piece of mind

A bit off topic, Tony in your travels have you come across camp grounds that wont allow more than 2 20ltr jerry cans to be stored at the grounds?.A few in QLD are now doing this as well as banning chainsaws even if it's stored and not in use......

A bit off topic, Tony in your travels have you come across camp grounds that wont allow more than 2 20ltr jerry cans to be stored at the grounds?.A few in QLD are now doing this as well as banning chainsaws even if it's stored and not in use......

Queensland is full of Nazi's....

I know you can get in trouble (especially in NP zones) for just carrying a chain saw and in Tasmania they'll confiscate the saw if they find it, but I've never heard of anyone trying to give you grief for carrying extra fuel.

My recollection is that NSW regs allow a vehicle to carry up to a maximum of 250L of fuel in total - so that's whatever your tank capacity is plus jerry cans has to be no more than 250L.

They might have their own private regulations about the number of cans, but on public roads I don't believe there's a limit to the number of containers. It obviously makes great sense to only have a few containers - for example, it's not wise to carry 100L of petrol in 100 glass bottles fitted with cloth "plugs" while wearing a turban anywhere in Australia.

I know you can get in trouble (especially in NP zones) for just carrying a chain saw and in Tasmania they'll confiscate the saw if they find it, but I've never heard of anyone trying to give you grief for carrying extra fuel.

My recollection is that NSW regs allow a vehicle to carry up to a maximum of 250L of fuel in total - so that's whatever your tank capacity is plus jerry cans has to be no more than 250L.

They might have their own private regulations about the number of cans, but on public roads I don't believe there's a limit to the number of containers. It obviously makes great sense to only have a few containers - for example, it's not wise to carry 100L of petrol in 100 glass bottles fitted with cloth "plugs" while wearing a turban anywhere in Australia.

Lol tony......

Yep re the storage of fuel I only have had to sign that declaration in Qld, and the tub was searched. Chainsaws are now not welcome anywhere, I remember xmas 1991 camped on Fraser cutting up driftwood on the beach with the rangers sharing a beer, how times have changed.

I think the larger problem with the bush is not so much the greenies, but those few idiots that spoil it for everyone else, going in and tearing up the place, dropping rubbish everywhere and not caring that they're disturbing native habitat.

Naturally the greenies see such wanton destruction and perform the expected knee-jerk reaction asking for all activity in the area to be banned.

If ALL people were responsible, cared for the bush and stuck to the tracks, stopped doing craps in the walkway and leaving used toilet paper as a flag, took their litter at least to a garbage bin (if not all the way home) then nobody would have a reason to object to the use of those tracks or regions.

The big question is: how do you stop an idiot?

State Forests in NSW will prosecute if you can give them evidence of an idiot at work. I was videoing an idiot in his 4WD tearing up a campsite area at Frying Pan Creek. The idiot came over and saw me, getting all aggressive and telling me to shove the camera up my ass. Luckily for him he didn't come any closer as I had a steel bar half a metre long in my hand and hadn't stood up to show him that I was at least twice his size. Unluckily for the forest, the video that I had taken didn't clearly show the fool's number plate so it wasn't able to be used.

Moral of the story: get GOOD video footage and don't let the idiots see you do it, then hand it in.

I've had a Long Ranger added to mine. Extra 70L is very handy! Being an aux tank, it empties first before the main tank - so you don't get to see any movement in the fuel gauge until you're onto the main tank, but the rate of descent of the needle is then what you're accustomed to, and more importantly severe changes in vehicle orientation (eg steep descents/climbs) don't expose the fuel pickup.

On that tank, with 4 adults + clothes for a week (and the fridge and a few other things) we drove 1200km and still had 30L in the tank. When we're towing, I add 5 jerry cans filled to exactly 20L each giving me a total capacity of 250L (which is the maximum a small vehicle is allowed to carry).

The aux tank doesn't sit too low or interfere with the exhaust either. It's quite clever!

Tony,

Is your distance until empty effected by the extra tank like the single large tanks?

Fletch

Latest posts

Back