Boost gauge and egt new exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4nav

Reaction score
Found an exhaust ( 3" with dump pipe ) which is getting done next week and an egt gauge boost gauge at same time .

Regarding the boost gauge I vaguely remember reading that I don't need one with the minus or vacuum just the positive /boost reading gauge as diesels don't vacuum or something like that ??

Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

Any helps appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, diesels don't normally operate at vacuum so a boost gauge with vac reading is redundant and takes up room on the gauge dail. a small boost/vac 30 psi gauge tends to have very small numbers etc making it hard to read accurately.

however from a diagnostic point of view a boost/vac gauge is handy for diagnosing faults.

with egt gauge get a diesel one. they are a bit lower temp than a petrol.
you need one that works from 0-1000c rather than 200-1200c
highly recommend one with programmable warning light/buzzer. one of the reasons i like the aurbins gauges.

They may be OK. The only issue with the cheap ones is how accurate they are... I have autometer boost/vac and egt in mine and never had a problem with them. Been in there almost 6 years now. Only got the ones I did because they have a white gauge face and orange needle the same as the dash cluster gauges...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Where's best spot for egt probe ? Just off back of turbo ?

How much were they bods ?

Can't remember now... Was ages ago, they are the autometer c2 ones, white face and orange needle. Pretty sure I got them off eBay though.
fc07331465393828c8b14e1ac0c222c8.jpg

Where's best spot for egt probe ? Just off back of turbo ?

Yeah that's where I put mine. Welded a bung into the dump pipe just below where it bends down and put it in there

That's the go nice set up 👍🏻 appreciate the help mate

These are the Auber gauges tweake mentioned. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_26

They are probably the only cheap and reliable ones. Although with the US$ being the way it is lately...
All their sensors and probes are proper quality. Very fast shipment and good customer service. I get a feeling that everything else on the market that looks like these is either a rip-off or a re-badge. Could be wrong.

Autometer are good but expensive. I think i paid over $300 for a basic 52mm electric fuel pressure gauge for my other car as they were the only ones who made one that looked similar to my old school VDO dials. Nice set up btw bods.

Where's best spot for egt probe ?
best spot is just before the turbo in the manifold.
bit of a job to drill and tap the manifold. however if your fitting the dump pipe at the same time its not to bad as its easier to take the turbo out to fit the dump pipe.
while turbo is out drill and tap the manifold. use lots of grease on the bits to catch the swarf.

Fitting the probe in the manifold is good for showing accurate engine temps. The only thing I don't like about it is if the tip disintegrates for any reason then the turbo will eat it... The way I look at it is, caterpillar engines at least, have the thermocouple post turbo. I know those engines are a bit bigger than what you get in a navara, but if that's where they're happy to take a measurement from then that will do for me too. Plus I already had a bung that came with the gauge and hadn't fitted the 3 inch exhaust, so it was easier to drill a hole and weld that into the dump pipe before fitting than try and drill and get a tap to match the thread on the probe fitting to fit it to the manifold. Each to their own though...

Thanks rabbid. If I had my time again I'd get a 3 gauge pod and put probably oil pressure in there too. Mine is one of the original autron pillar pods, but there are a few different options now.

Last edited:

Thx for the offer but the boat won't work as these things start at 19/20 from memory and the egt is waaaaay more than I wanna spend nice gauges but not for me as I'm on a budget again appreciate the offer though 👍🏻

Fitting the probe in the manifold is good for showing accurate engine temps. The only thing I don't like about it is if the tip disintegrates for any reason then the turbo will eat it... The way I look at it is, caterpillar engines at least, have the thermocouple post turbo. I know those engines are a bit bigger than what you get in a navara, but if that's where they're happy to take a measurement from then that will do for me too. Plus I already had a bung that came with the gauge and hadn't fitted the 3 inch exhaust, so it was easier to drill a hole and weld that into the dump pipe before fitting than try and drill and get a tap to match the thread on the probe fitting to fit it to the manifold. Each to their own though...

Thanks rabbid. If I had my time again I'd get a 3 gauge pod and put probably oil pressure in there too. Mine is one of the original autron pillar pods, but there are a few different options now.

Yeh I'm pretty sure now I went post turbo for my old Hilux I turbo' thx for reminding me 👍🏻

Thx for the offer but the boat won't work as these things start at 19/20 from memory and the egt is waaaaay more than I wanna spend nice gauges but not for me as I'm on a budget again appreciate the offer though 👍🏻

No problems mate but as I said open to offers

With boost gauge how does it work ?? Install wise sorry silly question not very mechanically minded

What have you got again? 2.5 or 3lt? 3lt has a map sensor on the intake pipe that you can tee into. The only options for the 2.5 are teeing into the wastegate line on the turbo (I did mine off this line and has been fine since it was fitted) or drill and tap a thread to screw a fitting into somewhere on the intake system...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back