D22 Zd30 slight loss in power.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattheeley

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I've been having a slightly annoying issue with my nav for about a year now. When I bought it, it already had a DP chip, 3" exhaust, egr block and swirl mod done. I have done no other modifications engine wise. When I first had the car it went really well but a few months later I was going down hill in fourth with no pressure on the accelerator and noticed a instant change in how the car was running, even though it was only a small change...it's hard to explain. The ute used to rev quite quick through the gears but now revs quite slow. Probably the best way to describe the lack of power (at the expense of sounding like a dick) is, before I had this problem I used to be able to spin the wheels in the wet all the way through to 3rd gear, now it is flat out going to 2nd. The turbo reads 17psi everyday and seems to boost fine, fuel filter and air filters get changed every 10k, NPS has been replaced. Also is it common for the navara to have a fuelly smell on idle, it's quite pungent, I'm thinking maybe it's running too rich? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone. I've been having a slightly annoying issue with my nav for about a year now. When I bought it, it already had a DP chip, 3" exhaust, egr block and swirl mod done. I have done no other modifications engine wise. When I first had the car it went really well but a few months later I was going down hill in fourth with no pressure on the accelerator and noticed a instant change in how the car was running, even though it was only a small change...it's hard to explain. The ute used to rev quite quick through the gears but now revs quite slow. Probably the best way to describe the lack of power (at the expense of sounding like a dick) is, before I had this problem I used to be able to spin the wheels in the wet all the way through to 3rd gear, now it is flat out going to 2nd. The turbo reads 17psi everyday and seems to boost fine, fuel filter and air filters get changed every 10k, NPS has been replaced. Also is it common for the navara to have a fuelly smell on idle, it's quite pungent, I'm thinking maybe it's running too rich? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a fuel filter issue mate, also it's a diesel so it can't run rich or lean that only applies to petrol engines, also check your air intake for any blockages

Last edited:
Sounds like a fuel filter issue mate, also it's a diesel so it can't run rich or lean that only applies to petrol engines, also check your air intake for any blockages

Where should I check? The whole snorkel and air box? Is there any filter between the snorkel and air filter?

the air filter is only in the box, not in the snorkle section. make sure this air filter is clean , replace it if you can also is the fuel filter due to be replaced ? if so grab a new fuel filter. no doubt its more in the intake eg; air cleaner blockage.

Where should I check? The whole snorkel and air box? Is there any filter between the snorkel and air filter?

Check the snorkel at the base where it joins the airbox, I had a very large butterfly jammed at the base of my snorkel and made it lose a bit of power as it wasn't sucking enough air in.

the air filter is only in the box, not in the snorkle section. make sure this air filter is clean , replace it if you can also is the fuel filter due to be replaced ? if so grab a new fuel filter. no doubt its more in the intake eg; air cleaner blockage.

Air filters and fuel filter have been changed recently. I checked the air filter the other day and still looks brand new from a service about 3k ago. Cheers for your input and keep the suggestions coming :)

Check the snorkel at the base where it joins the airbox, I had a very large butterfly jammed at the base of my snorkel and made it lose a bit of power as it wasn't sucking enough air in.

Wasn't one of those Bogan Moths was it, lol. Maybe you should try the Butterfly Mod. Haha, ****en giant moth of all things.
But jokes aside, if you're worried about snorkle blockage, you could try disonnecting it from the air box just to see if it makes a difference. A borescope would be awesome for that sort of shit too.

Wasn't one of those Bogan Moths was it, lol. Maybe you should try the Butterfly Mod. Haha, ****en giant moth of all things.
But jokes aside, if you're worried about snorkle blockage, you could try disonnecting it from the air box just to see if it makes a difference. A borescope would be awesome for that sort of shit too.

LOL, mate it's got me fu....ed how something that big got through the mesh on the snorkel head, it's noggin was missing but wings still intact, wingspan was approx. 75mm across!

Disconnected the snorkel and went for a drive, made no difference. It's really starting to get on my nerves. I just want my old Nav back :( air filter is clean and fuel filter has been replaced, still down on power.

Have you got an egt guage? Egts any different ?
I aint no mechanic, but i believe you can reset your ecu by idleing for 10 minutes.
Could try unplugging neutral position switch. Check your chip is pluged in properly?
Failing all that might be time to visit a good mechanic unless someone else comes up with something.

If the ecu isn't seeing boost because the MAP sensor failed that could explain it.

Latest posts

Back