Opinions/review of 2013-14 D22 ST-R

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodey

Reaction score
G'day,

I am currently looking at buying a new 2013-14 Nissan Navara D22 ST-R. I am pretty much sold on getting one, value for money and inclusions they seem to be the go. However looking at reviews online I was concerned with a couple of issues that have been raised and thought I would see if any owners on here have common problems or reviews both for and against. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Poor reviews i've seen include problems with:-
* "known to spit timing chain/belt"
* a few said engine troubles but weren't exactly specific
* Issues with suspension

I won't really be using it for off-road. Maybe a bit here and there but nothing serious. Using mainly for towing (5.0m boat) and having convenience for tray for surfboards, camping etc.

Hope no one minds me posting on this forum, I figure the best way to seek advice/reviews for both for and against is to speak with people who actually own one.

Cheers,

I've had mine for a week. So far so good.

They are running a bit thin but because of the new model coming. I bought mine with abn for $27990 with bullbar and towbar.

Welcome
The t chain was an issue on some early utes ,but most are ok
They are a tbar front end, old design but fairly bulletproof
They are the best bang for your buck, no frills honest work ute, no bells and whistles

Dive in and enjoy
Cheers

Last edited:
If u want to use It to tow id keep looking. Way too underpowered I used to have a fuel trailer with 750l n it struggled just looking at a hill. Not a comfy interior either seats are shocking on a long trip and u can forget about putting anyone in the back seat unless they are an amputee

If u want to use It to tow id keep looking. Way too underpowered I used to have a fuel trailer with 750l n it struggled just looking at a hill. Not a comfy interior either seats are shocking on a long trip and u can forget about putting anyone in the back seat unless they are an amputee

good exhaust and good chip and these things punch as hard as a d40 so they have great towing potential, I towed with mine
I wouldn't buy one to tow a van around oz but for the average joes towing needs the d22 again wins in bang for your buck

back seats I agree no room
yes they are a tad uncumfy on long hauls, but again we are talking about a $28k work ute not a $50k hilux, or ranger, or d40, the d22 is in a class of its own

cheers

Last edited:
Agee about the seats they are woeful my girls have learned to live with it. Surprised mik it struggled with only 750kg. My van and gear in the tub is around 2t all up, whilst you know its there and I don't give a fork if it gets scratched.

Happy in fairness it was a work ute with 150k on it when i got it and my guess is it had a hard life before hand. Still I dont think id buy on to go away with. Wouldnt fair to bad around town as the smaller body would make it easier to park and get around. For 28k they are a good buy but if u hunt around a guy at work got a demo d40 2013 4x4 for 33k from blacktown nissan

convenience for tray for surfboards, camping etc.

Not a big deal, but my 5'8 only just fit's inside the tray diagonally. You could probably get a 6'2 but it would be very tight.

I have a 2013 and I tow a 2t van every now and then. It does it, but slow to take off and up hills. Just don't ride the clutch, let it out and the Nav will chug along like a tractor.

I'm quite happy with my D22, just got back from my first trip in it, to Darwin and back, about 9k.

But in the last 8 year i have done all my traveling around Aus on a bike, so the Navara was pure luxury.

No wind, didn't get wet, and a seat wider than my ass, with a backrest as well.

i have this model 13/14 and am very happy with all as to date. just hit 4,000 on the clock and have done the EGR mod which works a treat on take offs and fuel economy is bloody great. buy it now. [ D22 ST-R ]

I owned a 2009 model had it for 12 months did several mods to it but it just didn't do it for me
uncomfortable seating,noisy timing chain, and the severe lack of power was too much in the end. i struggled towing my caravan and it only weighed 1800kg fully loaded .For something rated to tow 2800kg very disappointed .Have since bought a 2008 Prado and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
i have an '09 d22 and enjoy it heaps for what it is, but..... i am considering going back to being a pro fisherman again, and towing a plate boat at over 2.5 tonnes again there is no way i would keep the D22, it would be too painful to tow with. at best i could give it to my missus who is a tradie.

V8 cruiser 70 series will be the daily boat hauler.

Gday,i have 13 model & don't find seats uncomfortable,but I havnt owned anything that wasn't a commercial.I have a 4.9 plate alloy boat,tow it to Bermagui from Melb a couple of times a year,sit on 100/110 ks all the way only have to drop to 4th on one hill,plays havoc with econ though,700 to 780 a tank normal down to 400.Hugh

we must remember that we are talking about a 4 x 4 vehicle not a luxury sedan plus this vehicle in question has a small 2.5 litre engine not like the prado 4.2 or other 4 x 4 ,s that have bigger engines thus more power etc.
have a drive in a landcruiser ute and then tell us how bloody rough it was to be in [ kidney belt on ] . you do need to be a boaty to own a prado as the last time i went for a spin in my mates prado it made me feel sea sick due to very very soft and rolling susspension. if you need the big grunt and luxury go and buy the V8 patrol [ $80k.]

Just bought a '14.
Its good for what it is - a wet day work hack and a bit of camping and getting me to the places I want to be.
It is not as robust or capable as my old Patrol - or as comfortable. But it is cheap, and its not *that* uncomfortable - I sometimes have the kidney punching joy of driving a toyota workmate 4x2.

. Just don't ride the clutch, let it out and the Nav will chug along like a tractor.

Same with the 3ltr, just drop the clutch slowly, dont touch the accelerator, wait,and the motor will pull the load along.It might be a slow way of taking off but it saves in clutch replacements( my 3ltr got 280000ks from its factory nissan clutch, mostly towing).

Latest posts

Back