Head Unit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Hi All and Happy New Year
It's been a while since I asked a dumb question so, here's my first for 2019.
My head unit has died. About 2 weeks ago the screen stopped displaying but the radio work, now it is completely dead. It lasted 4 years.
I've always wondered if the heat on the dash cooked the bugger. When I'm parked up I use the reflective inside windscreen shield but the dash still gets a bit warm and driving around the dash gets red hot.
So, is there some way I can insulate the internal dash to stop some of the heat. Should I also use dash mats.
I've got a new heat unit to install but I'm hoping to get more than 4 years this time.
Cheers

Last edited:
Forgot to up load a photo

Attachments

• 20190107_143804.jpg
    20190107_143804.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 96
I bought a Tocada unit (was supposed to be a Pumpkin) and it was shite, lasted just long enough to let the warranty expire.

I now have a Pumpkin unit installed, it's about 6 months old so no news yet on longevity.

I wouldn't think the heat there would be so bad it would fry the unit. They're designed to go in cars, and built for American market which does have some days that get a little warm.

The d22s are a bit of a pain having the head unit right up the top. In saying that, I've got an eonon (chinese brand) double din in mine with gps, etc and haven't had any trouble with it in perth. Has been in there at least 4 years I would reckon. I do have a dash mat, but that has only been in just over a year, so in the scheme of things not long compared to the head unit itself.

I'm pretty sure the unit I have in mine has a cooling fan in the back of it. Whether it does much I can't say, but it still works. I think I payed around $260ish. Runs windows ce so I have ozi explorer and igo on it for offroad and on road navigation. Works well, has bluetooth for handsfree too, dvd player, etc.

I have an Eonon unit too, been in around 2 years. None of my head units have had heat issues, though it has always had a dash mat. Never really used a window shield either and until a couple of years ago was always parked outside. Some adhesive insulation couldn't hurt but if you have a GPS antenna I would keep it clear.

Thanks for the replies.
I had to re read my post. Too much xmas cheer in me haha
The touch screen stopped working but the radio was ok but stuck on one station without the touch screen working.
It can't be a too serious problem and I can only find 2 places in the Perth metro who can do repairs.
Are there places in the east that fix head units, mine was an after market job but it wasn't an El Cheapo
Cheers

I did press the reset button but the touch screen was still out.
Seems no one repairs them anymore, we live in a throw away society now.
So I'll just have to buy a new one.
Cheers

I replaced my windscreen with a laminated one that has a metalic film of some sort that cuts heat and cuts out UV. Can drive all ady and not get sunburnt. Got it through windscreens obrien. Doesnt effect light level inside car. My headunit is 4 years old and hasnt been effected by heat however a couple of the buttons have fallen off and $100 bucks to replace.
Think I will get an Android unit and just connect to mirror from phone.

Latest posts

Back