How do you drive on average ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you drive on Average ?

• Like Krafty (Like Gran driving to church).

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Put the foot down when needed.

Votes: 90 78.3%
  • Loaded up all the time.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Cops a flogging everytime I get in the drivers seat.

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
This may be true but when you have no need for a boost gauge driving by the revs can be as beneficial as driving by a boost gauge.

I voted like Krafty but depends on what you call slow. I generally drive at a couple of K's over the limit but do take off real slow, like granny and take my foot of as soon as i see a red light way up ahead. Gives some drivers the shits but i usually see them at the next traffic lights. Somtimes even give those P plate commodore drivers a little wave when I do:)

Pissing off Commodore and Falcon drivers is the best bit about driving for economy :big_smile:

If you wanna save fuel, sit behind a Camry driver.

They never accelerate hard or break the speed limit.

The thing is that driving slowly can be as bad for your economy as driving fast can be, especially in a 3 tonne wind break.

True. If I hit a hill at 80km's in 5th, it labours,

Hit it at 100km/h and she goes right up easily.

It's not just that, in suburbia where speed limits often aren't even reached the person who can drive at a constant speed for the longest rather than speeding up and slowing down like the majority of other drivers do is going to get better economy.

Watch any group of drivers in most cities, so many of them drive by the back end of the car in front, if the car in front speeds up by 5km they speed up, when the car in front hits the brakes they hit the brakes. Obviously you don't want to be the guy who doesn't hit the brakes when every one else does but driving as close to a constant speed as you can without the speed fluctuations and as best as you can predicting where you need to come to a complete stop and where you might be able to cruise through will always be more economical than the follow me drivers.

It's not always possible to drive like that but it's also not a big imposition to drive at 50-55kph in a 60 zone to allow yourself less of the fluctuating speed other drivers do without a second thought.

The other thing many people don't realise is just how often they move their foot on the accelerator at any speed. Having something like a scangauge that gives almost instantaneous LPH readings shows even the steadiest of drivers can fluctuate the revs without even knowing it and thus change the LPH readings. Add to that slight dips, rises pot holes and other road deformities an driving for economy becomes more than just thinking about speed.

I usually just take off at idle and shift at 2k rpm, usually sit on or just above the speed limit (cops get suss if u drive too slow i reckon lol) dont flog it too hard but still reach max boost quite often.

I voted like Krafty but depends on what you call slow. I generally drive at a couple of K's over the limit but do take off real slow, like granny and take my foot of as soon as i see a red light way up ahead. Gives some drivers the shits but i usually see them at the next traffic lights. Somtimes even give those P plate commodore drivers a little wave when I do:)

what gives me the shits is when ur coming up to a red light going up a slight hill, fuckin auto drivers that coast at like 1kph up to the car in front, making you have to go clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out to get 2 car lengths!! instead of just steady braking until they are stopped.

Your on the money there krafty. Big trick is to read the traffic (ahead) what lane is flowing, what isn't...., that light up there has been red for somtime maybe don't back off to much....
You see guys everday fighting for every meter.
I remember watching a saftey video showing how much difference it makes to give it the gun or take is easy. Over surburban trip of 10 Ks or so, the bloke that took it easy got there less than a minute latter.
Occsionally I do give it some stick, afterall it is a diesel and you don't want to glaze the bores :)

So this week I thought Id keep the boost at 5psi cruising, so far its looking like I have gained 70-100km's out of the tank.

I am at about 950km's on this tank so far, will more then likely fill up tonight at some stage.

Easily got another 200km's left out the tank with a good safety margin of 100km's or so.

Not keen to prime the pump on the side of the road. Haha.

Anyone else drive by the boost gauge ?

Filled up last night.

Worked out to be 1068.9km's. Took 105.something to fill.

Calculated it at 9.85L per 100km's.

From my usual of 10.3L/100km's.

Hmmm well depends what mood im in. But i normally drive sedatly. But the odd spinning rubber does happen. Who can blame though when you drive something as powerful as a d40 lol.

Anyone blown the cobwebs out lately.

I did 400km's on the F3 last week and she saw $1.50 (On a private road) and still 10.1L/100km's.

Dunno how I managed that.

Latest posts

Back