How much oil does your catch can catch?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit-chop

Reaction score
As above, im curious to know what others are getting. I spose it could be a reference point to suss how efficient different catch cans are and how much blow-by you've got. It might be an idea to specify your engine type and odo too.

Mine; was running a drift style ebay cheapie packed with s/s scourers and with a hose (that i perforated with 4 or 5mm holes the bottom half) on the inlet side running down to the bottom of can, kinda like a bong. It seemed to work really well untill half full, was running it for about 25k, but it stayed at half full after about 15k, im thinking cause the hose inside was bubling the oil up and throwing it back into the air cleaner as well as coming out the (homemade) cardboard gaskets and making a mess toward the end.
I think its a 750ml can, so could probably say 3-400ml in 15-20,000km. zd30 150,000km.
It had to be removed to empty it, so instead of emptying it i just replaced it with a provent 100 draining into 1m of 16mm id hose with a tap on the end that can be accessed from under the car. By my calculations that will catch a bit over 200ml before its full.
Anyway, its got about 30cm or 60ml of oil in it after around 3-4,000km so its catching the same amount as the other one, but the hose going to the air cleaner is still 100% clear.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 318
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 328
that looks like a pretty neat little setup.

didnt realise there was a smaller version than the provent 200.

fits nicely in there, i assume you got the 100 as the 200 wouldn't fit in that spot.

how much did it set you back and where did you get it?

Yeah thanks, i still need to make a proper bracket for it tho, i just used what i had on the day, need to ge a bigger bit of angle. Was $100 off ebay, got it because i reckon the 200 is just too big. It takes 16mm hose (with a bit of hot water treatment), its tiny, but i really cant see it being a restriction at all - the filter in it is easily bigger than the average breather filter youd put on an old pre emissions v8 or whatnot. Only thing is i had to buy outside of their ebay store with credit card over the phone, and the one they sent me had a broken lid- it didnt seem to affect anything, just there to hold a rubber diaphragm in place so i silastiked it instead of returning it.

Attachments

• provent 016.jpg
    provent 016.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 237
same problem with my catch can, once they get half full it starts to blow oil out. with the amount of sloshing in the can its not surprising.
i empty mine every 5k or so.

Yeah, the way mine was tho, it was too much stuffing around to be bothered emptying it. The new setup iv got will be just too easy.
Can i ask how much oil you're emptying every 5k tweak'e?

so you got it from western fiters, im just about to email them.

I've got the same can as the very first photo - my one is a quarter full already installed 3 months ago

Rabbit,

Anychance you can throw the link of the can on ebay? I cant find any of them on ebay or any other aus sellers on google.

Thanks
Rusty

I tried to chuck it up before but didnt work. Forefront industries has got them. Search "pro catch can"

Last edited:
Has anyone got a pic of one of these fitted to a D40?

I've just bought the same one and I'm stuffed if I can work a god place to mount it.

Any tips are appreciated.

Cheers.

Has anyone got a pic of one of these fitted to a D40?

I've just bought the same one and I'm stuffed if I can work a god place to mount it.

Any tips are appreciated.

Cheers.

Ey man I put mine on the fuse box.. Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-884290761.jpg
    image-884290761.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 207
I have had one in my d40 for about 10000km now, and i have been surprised at how much oil it has trapped. Probably a similar quantity as stated in this thread. Can anyone tell me how much is too much? And if too much then what is the most likely issues?

Getting stupid amounts of blow by lately, i reckon double what i was getting at the start of this thread. The catch-can ended up blowing the drain hose/reservoir off, cos was filling up and i wasnt emptying it. I just let it piss all over the chassis rail for about 20000km Got it draining into a little 250ml coke bottle now, there's probably 50 ml in there from a 50km drive. I'm a bit worried about it.

The ZD is a heavy breather, I've seen some blow about the same amount into the can. It's probably not related but have you changed the oil type or grade lately?.

Latest posts

Back