ZD30 Turbo Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbid-chop

Reaction score
Namely BorgWarner EFR6258. After using one (8374) on my other car I'm convinced these things are the silver bullet. Turbine and shaft weigh half as much as conventional stuff so you can have a bigger turbo spooling up earlier.
Not to mention oversize bearing assembly, speed sensor option, built in bypass valve, boost controll solenoid, and big internal wastegate. Most of that stuff i wont be using, but it still works out good value.

I'm just wondering if anyone has wheel specs for the stock ZD30 turbo so i can compare, or at least a loose turbo and a pair of vernier callipers and chuck us the measurements?

Also, At what point does the zd30 fuel system run out of legs?

What should the target AFR be for acceptable exhaust heat? For that matter, can someone put me onto a cheap and cheerful wideband?

Lastly, here is a plot of what the 6258 might look like on a ZD30, but i am not sure about the volumetric efficiency of the engine or some of the other data that needs to be in-putted.

Anyone please feel free to play with it and correct it for me.
http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterm...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

Fueling will be you biggest issue. from memory the ZD ecu likes to cut fuel when boost hits a certain level. 19:1 or 18:1 will be safe AFR's. I run the innovate motorsports AFR gauge although I'm yet to get it to work on a diesel

Cheers mate. Was planning on keeping AFR's and boost conservative. At 18psi it looks like it will make around 400ft/lb (560-ish N/M) and 250hp. Thats quite a step up in output for the same boost as im running now - with chip and zorst id estimate im getting maybe 400nm and a touch more power than stock.
So the overboost fuel cut may not be tripped but would the fuel system be mechanically adequate? Maybe with a lift pump?

How does the Borgwarner compare to Gturbo's latest ZD30 turbo? Unichip also has a turbo for the ZD30 but I haven't researched it.

FYI. My Patrol ZD30 CRD auto is making 112rwkW (33" muds) at the moment @26psi 18-1 AFR using standard turbo with billet compressor wheel and ECU reflash.

Standard on same tyres was 63rwkW.

Last edited:
I just looked up GT Turbo and the website offer SFA info on them apart from they are part of their "Bad Dog" series and offer 120% increase in power. I might shoot them an email and see what the deal is.
The thing with the borgwarner is that the 6258 is the smallest one, and i'm not sure on the wheel sizing of the stock turbo to know if it will be laggy or not.
American fella "blue-navara" was using a gt2560rs, aka "disco-potato" with .85 rear on his yd25, was making well over 200rwhp on 22psi but said bottom end suffered a bit and would go to a .65 rear to fix that.
The EFR6258 is same size as the disco potato, and by all reports absolutely shits on the disco potato for response and has a wider, taller map - more everywhere. So by my half -cut logic, the 6258 with a .64 rear should have plenty low down on a 3l.

How does the Borgwarner compare to Gturbo's latest ZD30 turbo? Unichip also has a turbo for the ZD30 but I haven't researched it.

FYI. My Patrol ZD30 CRD auto is making 112rwkW (33" muds) at the moment @26psi 18-1 AFR using standard turbo with billet compressor wheel and ECU reflash.

Standard on same tyres was 63rwkW.

Thats pretty amazing performance from the billet wheel VNT. Food for thought.

Volumemetric efficiency wouldn't get above 95, pressure drop across a intercooler would be 1 or 2 psi, airfilter restriction would be 2 psi and max exhaust temp should be 1350f. Can't find a measurement for the original exhaust wheel and don't have my old turbo anymore to measure, but being that the 6258 exhaust wheel is 5mm bigger than the gt2860 one, I reckon it would be way to big and laggy as hell.

gt2554r_specs.jpg

What about a gt2554r? Ball bearing, inconel turbine wheel, super-imposing the last god awful matchbot i did it looks like it fits much better.

https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GT2554R

$1000 locally from gcg rip-off centre. pretty cheap.

2554 would be a better choice. I put a vacuum gauge between the turbo and the airfilter on mine and had 2psi of vacuum.

Reckon it would lose spool over the stock unit?
That 2psi filter restriction was the most damaging factor in that calculator i think. Might be time for a landcruiser air filter.

You would'nt believe it i just pressed the button on this http://shop.mambatek.com/Ball-Beari...n-Y60-Patrol-RD28T-002-0416.htm?categoryId=-1
and then logged on here.
Reckon it will be too laggy?
A bit of snooping, and purportedly the owner of kinagawa sold up and started up mambatech hence the identical product line up and website. Dont know how much of that is bullshit though.

Possible buyers remorse. It will probably be ok, need to make adaptor to stock mani, tap into heater hose, probably modify dump pipe, probably spend a couple days chasing fittings and shit, stock heat sheild may not go back on. Probably a week downtime on a work rig, for possibly a step backwards in performance?

Just wondering now about gt2052v - zd30 patrol turbo. How does the VNT and boost control operate on those - mechanical? or ecu input required? And would a Chinese VNT mechanism be trustworthy?

Possible buyers remorse. It will probably be ok, need to make adaptor to stock mani, tap into heater hose, probably modify dump pipe, probably spend a couple days chasing fittings and shit, stock heat sheild may not go back on. Probably a week downtime on a work rig, for possibly a step backwards in performance?

Just wondering now about gt2052v - zd30 patrol turbo. How does the VNT and boost control operate on those - mechanical? or ecu input required? And would a Chinese VNT mechanism be trustworthy?

Patrol uses vacuum to actuate the VNT ring and everyone disconnects the ECU boost control and fits a mechanical one. e.g Dawes valve.

Last edited:
The turbo also sits further forward as it mounts closer to the middle of the exhaust manifold, compared to the navara turbo mount position which is hard up against the back of the firewall mounted at the rear of the exhaust manifold. So your dump pipe setup would probs change. You would need to make sure you have room for the turbo to move forward though and potentially may need to move the airbox forward

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back