Help - stuck in gear after frontal accident

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonC

Reaction score
Hi all. First time poster here from NZ, hoping somebody might be able to help diagnose issue. Our son recently had a low-ish speed frontal crash. We have pulled out the front and the radiator to replace and everything looks relatively straight forward except for the fact that the car is stuck in gear. I think it is 5th. I am not sure what he was doing with the gear or clutch at the time of the crash but he thinks he had both clutch and brake pushed in (he's a new driver). I can't see anything obvious causing it to be stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks

does the clutch work still? ie, can the truck roll if the clutch is depressed? with the gear box being stuck, possibly with foot off clutch can you rock the car back and forward while applying some firm/light hand loading, to try and find neutral? other than that no idea sorry. good luck (((-:

Just a guess but i'd say the motor and box has moved on impact and may have "over centred" "bent" "broken" the external linkages - check all the mounts, box and motor and have a good look at the gear shaft linkages... Got me thinking but it has to be a linkage arm jammed or bent, god knows how it's done that but I'd say "junior" was holding onto the gear shaft on impact. If he was in fifth it was no low speed bump lol does he remember if he was in 2nd or 4th when he hit? Glad to hear all parties are ok.. keep "us" here posted ok cheers vic

LOL, some rather funny comments there! Vicszd30 we tried that when it first happened, unfortunately it didn't fix the gear problem! Anyway it is parked on our driveway facing downhill which does make things harder. The clutch works. I fully checked the shifter in the car, tightened the bracket that was loose mounted to the firewall, and checked all of the linkages as best as I could since I can't jack it up being on the driveway. Since it currently has no radiator any attempt to get it out of gear which the engine is running is also tough. So after trying all of these suggestions and checking linkages (which all look fine), we got a mobile mechanic to pop by. He started it up briefly and also tried getting it out with (arm, not hammer) force but no joy. Whatever has happened I think has happened in the gear box. It is 5th that it is stuck in, which is what he was in when he had his (slow-ish) high speed crash. It is possible the engine shunted back the gear box momentarily before moving back in to place. So unfortunately we are going to have to get it towed to the workshop for a mechanic to drop the gearbox and have a look. I'll keep you guys posted with the outcome. Cheers. Simon

LOL, some rather funny comments there! Vicszd30 we tried that when it first happened, unfortunately it didn't fix the gear problem! Anyway it is parked on our driveway facing downhill which does make things harder. The clutch works. I fully checked the shifter in the car, tightened the bracket that was loose mounted to the firewall, and checked all of the linkages as best as I could since I can't jack it up being on the driveway. Since it currently has no radiator any attempt to get it out of gear which the engine is running is also tough. So after trying all of these suggestions and checking linkages (which all look fine), we got a mobile mechanic to pop by. He started it up briefly and also tried getting it out with (arm, not hammer) force but no joy. Whatever has happened I think has happened in the gear box. It is 5th that it is stuck in, which is what he was in when he had his (slow-ish) high speed crash. It is possible the engine shunted back the gear box momentarily before moving back in to place. So unfortunately we are going to have to get it towed to the workshop for a mechanic to drop the gearbox and have a look. I'll keep you guys posted with the outcome. Cheers. Simon

Latest posts

Back