TD27 Gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tymbian

Reaction score
I have a 96 D21 with a TD27 engine, full size double cab, full-size bed ( Import ? ). The Gearbox has given up and I have the chance to get a gearbox from a 98 Terrano II. Are the TD27 gearboxes interchangeable?

Yes they are, They are completely useless though. better to upgrade to a fs5r30a box from a qd30 d22, they bolt in and need slight mods to run, will last much longer!

Sorry, The QD32 is a diesel engine fitted to some D22 navs, The bell housing will line up with the TD27 engine and the 5spd manual it comes with (FS5R30A) gearbox is much much stronger.

What mods are required to fit the bigger g/box?
I have a g/box from a D22 QD32, to fit into my D21 TD27. Both manual.
clutch pivot pin?
cross member?
Drive shafts?
I want to make sure I have all the bits before I start.

Anyone?

Cheers

best off asking Seventies47..The only mods I had to make fitting the Terrano II box was to re drill the center cross-member as the replacement box was 15mm longer... good Luck!

TD27 clutch and flywheel, QD box and clutch fork, You will have to drill the crossmember to suit, its easy to line up and fit though. The tail shaft will bolt straight up. I used a mistral front driveshaft as I used a transfer case from an auto terrano (dont ask:) Yours may fit but you may have to find a slightly shorter one. The bolt pattern will be the same though. Apart from that I had to adapt the wiring slightly and she's been good. Let me know if you need any more details

Howsit guys I'm new to the website. I have a 86 d21 navara that has had a carbureted 4.3l v6 chev put In Place of the 2.0l Nissan engine, it has the standard Nissan gearbox (with adapter plate) in it that has just sh$t 5th gear. My question is will a gearbox from the vg30 terrano bolt straight to the adapter plate? I've been told the stud pattern on the gearbox may be different. I'm hoping I can slot her in and do the mods mentioned above.

Cheers in advance for any help fellas

carbureted 4.3l v6 chev put In Place of the 2.0l Nissan engine

That's a bit out-there, haven't seen that one before. Chuck some photos up if you have a chance?

it has the standard Nissan gearbox (with adapter plate) in it that has just sh$t 5th gear.

Yeah they do that, even without the bigger motor fitted.

My question is will a gearbox from the vg30 terrano bolt straight to the adapter plate? I've been told the stud pattern on the gearbox may be different. I'm hoping I can slot her in and do the mods mentioned above.

You were told correctly. The flange patterns are different. If the adapter plate is fabricated or laser cut, you could modify the existing one, or make a new one? Or eBay (and I'm sure trademe also) have rebuild kits, you could rebuild the box that's in there, you'll get another 100,000 out of it.

cheers dion i'm just in the process of pulling the gear box out now, had a lot of fun trying to get it out with the torsion bars in and cross member, so i'm wanting to pull the torsion bars out and cross member... to make things easier to put box back in. any tips on doing this ? will post photos of engine and gearbox assembly in the morning

My only tip is to use a rattle gun.

With the standard setup in the 4x4 the sump into the diff stops you coming out forward. You're pretty much stuck with taking the torsion bars out to get that cross member out of the way.

Latest posts

Back