Well I've gone and done it again

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin'sD40

Reaction score
Hi All

Ext long time no hear , It was time up-grade the old girl my 06 D40 , after many hours of reading and doing my head in , I settled on 2 contenders , The VW and NP300.

The missus said better the devil you know then stepping into something you may not like , Hmmm so i took the twin turbo for a spin and I must admit it didnt move me all that much , several months past and today I drove the single turbo this being in the 4x4 RX version and compared to my D40 STX this this sh!ts all over it
after the 40km test run (yes 40km's) I had to make one last test , traction control off dirt rd 60kmh and hit the brakes , well I just about went through the windscreen @60kmn it stopped within 15m which absolutely blew my mind (it dont take much these days LOL)

After the test run the fuel average came in at 7.2L/100km this was with always being one gear higher to simulate a reasonable load , when I got back I took a look to see what i would have to do to fit air bags , well what do you know the RX has the 5 link a$$ end in it sweeeeeeet

Driveaway price is going to be $37k with only a 10k trade in bugger but happy with the trade as the RX has more features than the D40 STX did
Its going to take a little time getting used to the Hyd/elc steering which I felt was a little to lively for my liking

There will be no modding of any kind this time round for me with the exception of heavier rear coils & air bags and to take the rear muffler out with a straight through pipe to allow better turbo spool up

Now why did I go for the single turbo v the twin turbo unit ?
As this is still a work vehicle and yes I still work for the same organisation (see avatar) they are both 2.3L and both claim that there is lees lag (well to a point) the torque curve comes in almost the same with most of you out there not even noticing just how close that curve actually is.

I've allays been the firm believer that the smaller the engine ( in this case the VW 2L) the more stressed it will be under load , take the 20kw difference between the 2, (NP300's that is) 2 smaller turbos v a larger single unit , I have a Toyota LC 4.2 that has a very impressive 350WRHP or close enough to 250wrkw with wait for it 960nm of torque this is my toy and a sleeper on the road @near 3T and 0/100kmh in just under 7sec's , however back to reality
this NP300 all be it in the smaller 120kw version it has plenty that I'm looking for , I did consider an St or STX but lets face it how forks outs 47/55k for a work ute , Sure as hell not me its a work vehicle and if what I'm replacing the D40 with just happens to have more creature features for only 37k including ,wider wheels on mags and flares ,Alloy B/bull all this drive away for that kind of coin is value for money in my books

So this of fart here wound go on and on LOL ( I have havent I ) about what does what etc etc at the end of the day its a work truck

Bourbon time coming up
Later Guys and to some of the older users at this form from the D40 days

Might even have a few things for sale of the old rig before I trade her in

Cheers Marty

I have a list as long as your arm , from W2A cooler, LPG , custom air box , exhaust , 5 stage chip , over sized injectors and custom billet wheel Turbo and much more and if I wanted to there is more in it yet mind you top boost is 38lb with normal driving around I sit on 15/20

I had to get the clutch custom as well and the pressure plate has a clamping force of 1300kg

Yep I love my LC
Marty

Slug aint even a word compared to the sleeper LC , in the wet I can only run setting 1 with LPG on depending on the surface LOL buts thats a good thing as it has taught me how to drive better in the wet , as for Pootrolls its just eats them hehe

M

You can spend money on any car and make it go fast, even a dirty old Toymota. These Patrols would tear your Landcruiser in half. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY49uRW69Q

I dont doubt that for one sec , with twin turbos and a wallet that has more in it than what any of us earn in a lifetime , what else would you expect ?
And dont forget to them its just pennies not $$$ and a blower on a diesel that would just about make it a full on drag diesel vehicle

I drive mine and drive it hard when I need to and would take on any similar modded diesel Pootroll in OZ , big words sure ,,,,,,,hehe got a big set or Balls LOL

Marty

Just looked at the vid ,yeah 3600hp petrol big blocks with all the fruit what else would you expect them to do flat out up a hill on sand , no good for anything else Ahh ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back