Baumr-Ag BM-X20i

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockstandard

Reaction score
In keeping with my plan of trying out non-name brand items for camping I bit the bullet and bought one of the Baumr-Ag 2Kva 2 stroke generators.

After unpacking it and making sure everything was in there (it was) I went about reading the "manual". It has the usual specs etc and list of possible resolutions to problems, but for the most part it isn't amazingly helpful and could actually cause some confusion.

The manual says fuel/oil mix ration of 30:1, while on the generator itself mentions (more than once) 50:1 fuel/oil mix. The Baumr-Ag website mentions 50:1 as well so that is the mix i went with.

I have 2 primary uses for purchasing a generator:

1 - Charing my deep cycle battery when there is limited sun and my solar panels aren't up the task / night time to charge the battery (obviously no sun).

2 - To setup lights away from camp. Primarily for beach fishing

Given that my solar panels have been doing the job pretty well so far for several days in a row I should be alright there for the most part, so my guess is it will be for fishing and running extra lights.

Now if you have looked through forums as much as I do when researching products like generators, chainsaws etc, you probably would have found that Baumr has a terrible reputation. Most of the reasons for this reputation is due to product failure and lack of customer support for warranty claims.

Knowing all of these issues I have bought a Baumr brand chainsaw (has about 2hrs on it) and now this generator. As far as community (forum) information on the generator goes....there is none so i'm just kind of winging it.

Pretty much my only reason for purchasing Baumr is because its cheap and Im not going to put the chainsaw or the generator under extreme loads. Having said that when the generator runs it will be for quite a few hours so it will be interesting to see how it performs. I will more than likely get an hour meter for it so i can see just how long I have gotten out of it before it craps out. I have literally just gotten this (It cost me $220 off ebay delivered) so i don't have a solid idea on how good it is and nor am I endorsing it or telling people to run out and buy it.

I recorded a bit of a video on how it sounds and i was actually surprised how quiet it is. 10 - 20m extension cord away from camp should be decent enough i reckon. In the video it was already warmed up, but I hit the primer bulb 10 times and it almost started 1st pull. 2nd pull and it was away.

http://youtu.be/kqJBZvl9gkU

In the video i don't have anything plugged in when i start it so you will hear it hunt for bit until it settles, but as you'll hear it never full settles. Once it is started i plug in my CTEK MXS5.0 charger and hook it up to my 100ah deep cycle. the revs do increase, but not a great deal. Essentially that is how it will be used most of the time so its good to know that the sound is manageable.

I will keep you guys in the loop on how it runs.

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited:
We had a 2-stroke generator that used to do that until it had a load. Voltage fluctuated from 170V up to 370V too - I do suggest that you put a less fragile load on it so that it settles. I used a light globe, and tested several until I found one large enough to make the generator settle. In my case, a 150W flood light! That way, when the C-Tek (or any other device that might be sensitive to the input voltage) is connected, you won't blow it up.

Yeah I figured it was due to there not being a load on the inverter. The CTEK has a delayed start on it I think so helps manage any spikes in power, but I i think i might just take your advice on hooking up a light first.

Also just tried a cold start. Hit the primer bulb several times, set the choke and it started first pull.

One thing i did yesterday when it almost started first pull was set the choke lever to "run" before i attempted to start it a second. I use the same process for starting my 2 stroke outboard when it almost starts first pull and 9 times out of 10 it will kick over 2nd time. I have found that if I leave the choke on and try to start it, it will just flood and it will take forever to get going.

Last edited:
Any updates for the Baumr as I'm considering getting one to take in the caravan mainly to charge batteries.
Cheers
Paul

Hey mate,

I have used it several times for charging batteries and running a 600w drill and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Yeah there are quite a few threads around that go into detail about peoples terrible experiences with them. The ones I have seen are mainly the chainsaws and about how bad the casting on the heads & jugs are etc.

I would say the Baumr Ag and Qing Long are exactly the same. Baumr Ag do advertise theirs is a 2KvA, but that is it's peak / max output and a lot of companies do advertise based on peak power. They are actually rated at 1000W continuous which is pretty much the same as Qing Long.

I wouldn't think there would be any advantage of going one over the other. But given that the Qing Long is cheaper I would just go with that :p

Last edited:
Good luck with it mate. Hope it serves it's purpose. I've got an old 2 stroke GMC Genny. Had for years and it still works fine lol. Guess you gotta treat em nice as well?

^ I have the same old GMC 2-stroke 800W-ish genny as well - it works ok once you put a small load on it. I use a 150W floodlamp, I could probably use something smaller.

Anymore updates on this?
Im thinking of getting one. Primary use will be running a cement mixer with a 1.1hp electric motor.
Will it be enough? Its rated at 2kva or 1000w.
Reason im looking at this one is because;
a) its cheap
b) its small
c) i resent having to pay for and then drag around, and then store a big heavy generator because the builder hasnt hooked up power yet.
d) i love the smell of two-stroke in the morning.

It says its rated at a continuous 1kva output. Can someone translate this for me - what is the largest load i can put on that?

http://www.google.com.au/aclk?sa=L&...vice=c&icep_cbt=n&icep_msku_flag=n&adtype=pla

R/C 1 kva is 1000watts, your mixer will draw around 850watts once started. The problem you have is that size electric motor needs a heap of power to just get started. I don't think that generator is capable. The 2.4kva Aldi model I seldom use has a Honda copy motor built in China. It will power anything I need, for $300 it has been superb. But very bulky compared to a Honda or Yamaha equivalent.
HJ

Thanks John, but too late, i already pulled the trigger, lol.

$_57.JPG

On closer inspection, it says its peak output is 2kva and its rated at 1.2kva @0.8 coso-something or other - whatever the hell that means. If anyone cares to translate, please feel free, lol!

Im hoping it will start the mixer ok, and not burn it out, but not going to risk the 9" grinder or anything else with high power requirements

Last edited:
So it landed on my doorstep this arvo. 1st impressions ; very compact light and easy to carry. No word of a lie, started 1st pull which is better than i can say of a few Husqvarna two strokes. Not too loud. But it doesnt run my mixer, ****ing Chinese piece of shit. Runs my 150w flood light ok.
Will have to find a few more things to plug in to it tomorrow and dag around with the clamp-metre.
Hopefully it goes better after a couple hours are on it? Im wondering if i can tweak the throttle on it or something to get more juice out of it..?
****ing thing says its rated to 5a at 240v, ****ing thing cant run a 1.1hp motor.

R/C I thought it would be hit and miss, like I said earlier when running that motor would use around 850watts. That's within the generators capacity but it just wont start it, you would think 2kva maximum I believe that would be surge would do the job.

I'm surprised that it won't power the mixer, but if you're trying to power both the 150W light and the mixer at the same time you might be stretching the budget a little.

If the mixer is one of those push-button-for-speed jobs then it's basically just a 240V motor with a resistor pack and won't be sensitive to large voltage fluctuations. It will also settle the thing down - but digital inverters usually don't need that.

I'd run the genny without any load and plug a multimeter in to see what kind of voltages you're getting. Needle-based aren't good, the needle may not move fast enough, digital multimeters are better. If the voltage output sits between 210-250V then just throw the mixer at it and see what it does.

If the variation in voltage is greater than that, try it with the 150W light and see if that settles it down. If it does, I guess the BEST alternative is to query the seller why a digital inverter needs a load on it to settle the voltage - but you could try smaller loads until you find the minimum needed to keep it stable.

Thanks Tony. It does start the mixer, but spins very slowly for the four seconds it takes for the overload function on the genny to take over and stop supplying power. The engine did not struggle with the mixer plugged in, but it didnt "rev" up much either, there's what looks like two adjuster screws, im wondering if playing with them could help?
Its just a 1.1hp motor, no buttons, just an on/off switch.
No i wasnt running the light with the mixer.
Interestingly, there was no hunting when the genny had nothing plugged in.
I'll have a play with the multi-meter later and report back.

I woundnt touch the adjustment screws if their near the air filter on the motor..they will be the mixture screws...

Latest posts

Back