Who's taken a standard ST off road?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1benno

Reaction score
Heading to Jakem Farm next weekend for the first time!

Anyone care to share their experiences in a standard ST?

Good/bad experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick your lines correctly and you'll be fine.
Biggest concern in my opinion would be your oil sump but know plenty of d40s that don't have underbody protection. Just try not to slam down onto anything and once again you'll be right:redcool: underneath and your door sills but you'd have steps so they should take a fair hiding

Thanks guys. Have heard good things about Jakem, they have tracks for beginners. I'll definitely be taking it easy!

For those interested, the ST was fantastic over rocky and loose terrain. Downhill crawl speed was totally controlled in 1st gear - no need to touch the brakes whatsoever.
Uphill, tonnes of traction on standard tyres at 18psi.
Biggest problem - ground clearance. Bottomed on a few rocks and had to pick lines very carefully. Few knocks and minor scrapes but came out without any real damage and had an absolute ball.
Three mods are on my list (but funds mean very unlikely to happen soon):
1) lift kit
2) replace front bumper with bullbar
3) snorkel (wasn't needed here but is a no brainer in my mind)

Follow this with bigger off road tyres for muddier tracks, and I reckon it's a really capable machine.

sounds like all went really good for your first hit with the ST. once you get it set up with a bit more ground clearance / some slider bars / bullbar and off road tires, then you won,t know yourself in your new beast.

Under body protection is a must even with a lift, if the radiator cops a whack you'll be out of action quickly. The factory side steps bend like a tin can too!. You need to take into account all the combined weight of your add ons such as a steel bullbar before you do the suspension and lift.

For those interested, the ST was fantastic over rocky and loose terrain. Downhill crawl speed was totally controlled in 1st gear - no need to touch the brakes whatsoever.
Uphill, tonnes of traction on standard tyres at 18psi.
Biggest problem - ground clearance. Bottomed on a few rocks and had to pick lines very carefully. Few knocks and minor scrapes but came out without any real damage and had an absolute ball.
Three mods are on my list (but funds mean very unlikely to happen soon):
1) lift kit
2) replace front bumper with bullbar
3) snorkel (wasn't needed here but is a no brainer in my mind)

Follow this with bigger off road tyres for muddier tracks, and I reckon it's a really capable machine.

Not sure about your truck's specs, but here in my country we do not get any proper LSD or Lockers, instead they offer ABLSD which is supposed to imitate a mechanical LSD by applying brakes??? Doesn't make any sense offroading. :hmm:

Have you felt the need for Lockers ??

Under body protection is a must even with a lift, if the radiator cops a whack you'll be out of action quickly. The factory side steps bend like a tin can too!. You need to take into account all the combined weight of your add ons such as a steel bullbar before you do the suspension and lift.

The oil sump isnt in the most protected places either. Underbody is a smart move.. but i disagree with the strength of the side steps in my personal opinion. Mine have saved my sills too many times to remember. Really tho, for what they are, they should have folded a long time ago

Not sure about your truck's specs, but here in my country we do not get any proper LSD or Lockers, instead they offer ABLSD which is supposed to imitate a mechanical LSD by applying brakes??? Doesn't make any sense offroading. :hmm:

Have you felt the need for Lockers ??

My Aus spec NP300 ST (mid range) has a standard electronic rear diff lock.

However, on the tracks I drove there was no need to lock the rear diff, I had plenty of traction.

If I had run out of articulation, I would have engaged the diff lock. But overall the Nav performed beautifully, albeit on tame tracks for a beginner like me.

The oil sump isnt in the most protected places either. Underbody is a smart move.. but i disagree with the strength of the side steps in my personal opinion. Mine have saved my sills too many times to remember. Really tho, for what they are, they should have folded a long time ago

I am not sure on the strength of the steps. I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for my cars, so I was very careful to NOT end up on the steps.

The knocks I sustained were to the chassis rails or the front suspension arms mainly. But they were fairly inconsequential really. I was driving very carefully, too much money involved for me to be reckless!

I am keen for more protection , but realistically - I'll probably keep fairly standard due to cost and keep to fairly easy tracks for now...

My Aus spec NP300 ST (mid range) has a standard electronic rear diff lock.

However, on the tracks I drove there was no need to lock the rear diff, I had plenty of traction.

If I had run out of articulation, I would have engaged the diff lock. But overall the Nav performed beautifully, albeit on tame tracks for a beginner like me.

Good to hear :top:

I won't be able to get a lift kit for some time so I am glad to hear Nav's articulation performance. For some reason in all reviews I have seen so far (Turkish) people seem to praise the Hilux's off-road skills and blame the Nav for being too "civilized"

Latest posts

Back