Why install a catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metfast

Reaction score
Hi all
Now i know this sounds dumb but why install a catch can.
If you are servicing at proper interviews should there not be any need to install one. Whats the thought.

If you have blanked your egr it would probably not be a big drama. Without the blank installed the soot from the exhaust gas recirc sticks to the oil from the crank case breather and forms a black paste that becomes very restrictive when it builds up. I cleaned mine (ZD30) a little while ago and it was very clagged up. I have some pictures on here somewhere. I would recommend doing the clean and installing both catch can and egr blank.

Last edited:
The idea as far as i am aware is to stop oil vapor from the engine breather and soot from EGR gasses mixing which gunks up the inlet.

This was after 200k
3e7b2f651bbc0ade24cceed3f988957c.jpg
bd2cefaf0d21202be6fb3d9b25d913bc.jpg
4f562eb93efe8aaa8cb886b22c9791fe.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys
How do i clean the EGR do i just unplug it (where ever it is and what doe's it look like) and clean it with some solution as for a catch can and blocking the EGR thats one for a mechanic.

You can block the EGR in a number of places (4 I think).
That is on a YD25.

There is a thread here on how to do this.
It is just a stainless steel gasket you install.

Thanks to all i have been reading all about it and watched vids on u tube the catch looks simple enough and now i have watched a u tube vid 5 million times on the EGR me thinks i have got it.

Thanks to all regards Ge from Perth.

I'm back one last question after i have installed the catch can will any previous gunk in the pipes or valves ect slowly burn off or will just remain.

Thanks i am learning slowly. Ge

It is possible if you wring its neck driving in the rain you will get a steam effect that could clean the inlet? Especially if you have a snorkel? It is just a theory though.
I was driving my zd30 stock as a rock for probably 6-7 years before i installed egt block-off and catch can.
Some years later removed the inlet manifold and it was as clean as a whistle. Which doesnt prove anything as I never inspected it pre-catch can.

Any links to references to where to clean the EGR etc and how to block off?

Also note mine is the non turbo version, ZD30, 3.0 litre.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mate that's a huge call telling me I'm wrong when I've been driving the same car since 2000 I reckon I'd know it she was turbo or not.

Mine is a 2000 Nissan Navara DX, 2000 mode with the ZD30 engine.

The engine is the 3.0 litre petrol/injected.

Not diesel, not turbo.

I'm in Australia by the way.

Mate that's a huge call telling me I'm wrong when I've been driving the same car since 2000 I reckon I'd know it she was turbo or not.

Mine is a 2000 Nissan Navara DX, 2000 mode with the ZD30 engine.

The engine is the 3.0 litre petrol/injected.

Not diesel, not turbo.

I'm in Australia by the way.

you have the VG30E engine not zd30.

The petrol wouldn't have EGR would it?
i have no idea. i really do not deal with petrol engines. i would expect a petrol of that era to have egr, but some petrol engines use internal egr via cam timing.
i shall see what i can find in the manual.
but the question is, is it worth blocking? egr in petrols can help with fuel economy and they don't use the vast amount of egr that diesels do.

just a quick look the vg30 doesn't seam to have an egr system.
but later models got the vg33 engine (3.3 litre) and that does have an egr sytem.

Latest posts

Back