New owner = stoked!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danger1474

Reaction score
G'day all,

I just took delivery of my first 4x4 truck - a silver 2011 Navara STX Turbo Diesel. What a handsome machine. It hasn't even been a week so no stories of hills climbed or dunes demolished just yet, however I'm looking forward to the new opportunities that await!
I looked very closely at the competition in the 4x4 dual cab market and the Navara was the frontrunner the whole time (I probably don't need to tell you blokes that, but I'm already catching my mates with Hiluxes giving it longing looks).
I'm a bit disappointed that the dash power socket is always live, which makes my particular GPS a bit of a hassle. Not sure if it'd drain the battery overnight or over a weekend but not keen to found out the hard way either. I'll probably get it re-wired to the key, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Anyway, thats it from me. I'll mainly be in receive-mode trying to learn what I can from all your mistakes.. err.. experience. ;)

Cheers,
Dan

Congratulations! You'll have to put some pics in the garage now.

I am not sure why they did that socket in that way, but as long as there's no cig lighter in it (and it's only a power supply) then it's legal (ADR says all cig lighter outlets fitted with the actual lighter must turn off with ignition off).

Most GPS units these days draw USB-levels of power. That's 2.5W (500mA @ 5V) or about 0.2 amps - about 5 amps per day - at the most. You should survive a couple of days with it on.

you could always have another socket wired in and install it somewhere convenient.

In my old rodeo (shhh, did I say that on here?) I built a little box with 3 or four sockets out of one of those grey boxes you get from Jaycar - had at least one constant but fused 12v socket and the rest on with the ignition. Installed switches for all but the constant 12v one and indicator lamps to indicate when they were on.
Wasn't that hard and I'm no electrician!
KB

Latest posts

Back