4terrain ultimate clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romdave

Reaction score
Is anybody running a 4terrain ultimate clutch in their D40? I just had one installed and the clutch is very soft under foot. No complaints about the clutch engaging as it grabs almost as soon as my foot leaves the floor. I just would of expected a heavier pedal. Am I wrong in assuming this?

I have one in my d22 and it is also very soft but grabs very positive.
If you look at the clutch plate on them they are pretty unique in that it is a puck/button style clutch on one side and a normal style clutch on the other. Im guessing this is what allows them to use a softer spring on the pressure plate and still have heaps of grab.
Excellent clutch.

Cheers for the info Rabbid-chop. Ive noticed what feels like driveline vibration when i guess I'm in the wrong gear and should have changed down a gear? The car didn't used to vibrate and shudder like that before the new clutch. I should mention I've gone from a DMF to a SMF. Do you have the same issue or is this something I should get checked?

the DMF is there for exactly that reason, to take out the driveline vibration. Most people on here that have gone down the SMF path, experience the same thing. Something you probably have to get used to!

^ Eric is right on the money. The DMF has springs that allow the clutch face to rotate at the gearbox speed but the engine to vary a little as one piston accelerates at combustion point and then another slows at compression point (causing the crankshaft rotational speed to vary). It's a fantastic idea if it could have been done with a thicker flywheel face.

Cant say I've ever had a vehicle that had a DMF or ever wished I had one... so its like having another harmonic balancer on the back of the engine? Are those particular engines different that they are designed to have the extra vibration dampenening? Or is it just an "after-thought" or a bit of "extra refinement". I dare say that now you can feel what the engine is doing you now know when you are lugging her a bit too hard down low and will learn to drive around that? Might actually be a good thing?

It's the manufacturer's attempt to make the diesels more car-like in feel, and increase the appeal of the diesel utes to a larger market.

Ever ridden a big single cylinder bike? We used to laugh at the Nortons with a power-stroke-every-second-telegraph-pole. Diesel engined motorcycles are even more problematic as single cylinder engines for the same reason - there's a huge hit of power then nothing until the next power stroke (even a slow-down as the valves close and the piston rises on the compression stroke).

The older single-pot bikes were notoriously difficult to start, and used to thump the rider, because the compression happened immediately before the big push making that part of the combustion cycle particularly 'physical'. It's also why lawn mowers vibrate so much.

And it's also why my GL1500 is so bloody smooth - 6 pots, just hop on and enjoy!

Anyway, the DMF takes out some of that variation in rotation velocity of the crankshaft. Is it a good thing? It's not bad, because one of the things that makes long-distance journeys so tiresome is constant vibration. Reduce it and the journey becomes more pleasant. It does reduce the 'feel' of the engine somewhat, but you can still tell when the engine's lugging, so you can still tell when you're not being too kind to it.

Old Tony, in my bike days i did have some single cylinder bikes namely a Norton Roadster 750 [ kitted to 810 cc ] easy to start via kick lever only also i had a Yamaha TT-500 single pot trail bike that was easy to start but you had to use the compression releif lever as you kicked the engine over otherwise you would either go over the bike or break an ankle or whatever. i never had any issues with hard starting any of my singles , even the old Vespa started up straight away as well as the Hobbie pull start single scooter.

Latest posts

Back