Turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmash

Reaction score
Hi all my 2002 d22 turbo is not working its absolutely gutless please help

Need more info dude! Is it making weird noises? Do you have a boost gauge? Did it happen suddenly? Have you had a look at it?
Help us help you.

Hey guys no weird noises or smoke or anything it just has no power at all its been like it for a long time now so i just asumed it was normal maybe engine just old as done 300k but then my brother visited and he bought himself a d22 same age and roughly same ks and it had power and you could actually hear the turbo kick in i have a patrol with zd30 and you can hear turbo on that also there is nothing on my navara. Any ideas guys

When you say "a long time" is it since you replaced the head back here, or was it working well after the repair? If you suspect the problem is your turbo, is your boost actuator moving when you rev the vehicle? You may need to find someone with a boost pressure tester to verify the turbo is working to spec.

It was before the head was replaced and still like it now and where do i find the turbo actuator i dont no where that is. Its that bad if there some loose gravel on the road when i take off it wont even spin the wheels its that gutless

Oh ok and what is it supposed to do when you rev it and what does it look like

it should have a short rod attached to it and when the rpms increase the rod should move in or out not sure which direction so the actuator works the turbo .

The actuator should only move when nearing full boost though - you would have to rev the pi55 out of it to do that with no load and still might be inconclusive.
Could be a million other things apart from the turbo too.

Ok so i found it i will try and see if it moves if it dosent what does that mean

if it's not blowing smoke it's highly unlikely that it's the turbo. When the turbo goes (trust me, been here - mine failed on 11th July this year) there's a lot of black smoke to accompany the "fark ya, I'm not gonna take ya anywhere" feeling.

Same for air blockages. Creates loads of black smoke.

Does it idle well? It might be a failing fuel pump that can't deliver at higher rates (does your car have the dreaded VP44?). It might just be dirty injectors, but if there's a Bosch fuel pump involved I'd be looking at fuel pressure first. The 2002 D22 didn't have a standard OBD port so the usual bluetooth+Torque app won't help, but a mechanic friend might be able to plug his OBD reader in and put it in the old CONSULT mode and get some readings for you.

Hey old tony. I have changed fuel pump awhile ago as old one packed in. Whats the dredded vp44. I really dont thonk it the turbo packing in as it has been like it for so long but it just dosent feel it kicking in at all. Should i hear my turbo at all because i never hear it as when my bro come over i could hear his and in my patrol i can defintley hear that

Ok if it's not the fuel pump, it might be injectors? What kind of condition are they in? How about the fuel delivery itself, could there be a restriction that allows low flow, but hampers high flow - like a second fuel filter without a lift pump?

My own car (D40, different to yours, but similar principle) has a silent turbocharger. I took the baffles out of my air intake and suddenly you could hear the sound of the turbo ... have you ever stood (this is dangerous) near the intake of a military jet that was running? That same sucking sound is what I hear when I remove the baffle along with a greatly increased ticking (induction) noise. Sounds like the timing chain is banging away, but it's just the airbox. I put the baffles back in - blissful quiet compared to what it was.

A larger exhaust (which often "loses" parts like the muffler :rofl2: ) will allow you to hear the whistle of the turbo. Having a larger exhaust (or removing the muffler) doesn't really give you a huge boost of power, but it makes the thing sound fantastic. A bit like the BMW K1600GTL (1600cc in-line 6cyl engine) - take one out for a ride, it's amazing. Below 3,000rpm and it's quiet as a mouse - not a lot different to my 1500cc 6-cyl (boxer) Goldwing. Take the beemer over 3,000rpm and it sounds like something just off a racetrack - you really do want to keep it in first all the time, and believe me when you're in first gear on a motorcycle weighing under 300Kg with 160 horsepower ... you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there's a lot of power at your fingertips. I wonder if it's similar for other modified-exhaust vehicles - do people leave them in lower gear to get that great sound, and discover that performance is improved?

As above, R/C is on the money.! If your not competent yourself it takes time to find an issue and your thread may go back and forth so to say.
A simple diagnosis of a zd30 is as easy as using a Franger. Your probably just not making much boost in my opinion. But looking at previous posts you've had many problems.....

Hi all my 2002 d22 turbo is not working its absolutely gutless please help

Not a lot to go on here, but have you looked at the map sensor? If it's not working it can be gutless and seem like the turbo doesn't want to kick in.

Latest posts

Back