Any difference in the years?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy257

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was considering buying a d22 and I think I've decided to go for it, but which one?

I know the d22 comes out every year but they all look the same, I know the earlier ones from like 2004 had the 3.0L and they changed to the 2.5, but is there and actual difference from the say, 2007 and 2014 ones? And, besides the engine, any difference between say 2001 and 2007 models?

Thanks!

Hey Tammy,

Yes, you're pretty much correct. The engine change was when they moved manufacturing from Japan to Thailand. The zd30 finished late 2006 and the yd25 returned in late 2008, while they were moving the manufacturing. Around 2011 there were bad floods in Thailand from memory, so they went back to Japan for a year or 2, they still used the same yd25 motor during this time. Pretty much everything else is the same, the are a simple and reliable unit, if not the most comfortable.

I see you're in Karratha, not that it helps you a great deal as I'm in Perth, but I am selling mine, 2010 D22, I have a post up in the for sale section if you would like to have a look at it.

Good luck and if you need any more information there is heaps on the forum.

Hey that would be sweet

I'm actually going to be buying one from Perth because there is a lot more risk with 4x4s up here, get a lot more that have been thrashed and driven off-road multiple times per week due to it being so easily accessible. Plus the sun can absolutely destroy the paint up here in the heat if it's an older car.

Once Rona leaves I'll probably come have a look! I'm planning a big trip round Perth to see what's available. If yours is still available.

Thanks mate

Should have said that too, that was when they started building them in Thailand. The ones with the flat back on the tailgate are the Thai built ones.

the bed is 100mm longer after 2001, so a towbar pre 2001 wont fit as it will hit the spare wheel
pre 2010 doesnt hsve the bonnet scoop and the intercooler

not to mention you will need a longer tounge on the towbar if the spare wheel isnt slung under the chassis, downside is longer tounges hahe the potential to reduce towing weight

I swapped a tub and tray and found yes the tub towbar is set 100mm further out and the towbar is reduced to 2800kg, 2008 Jap tray towbar is much heavier than a later Thai tray towbar even though both rated 3000kg.
There doesn't seem to be the big differences in the d22's as in d40's especially made in different countries but maybe I haven't seen enough yet.

Just to correct a couple of minor errors. I have a 2008 D22, 2.5L engine, built in Japan, and has the bonnett scoop air intake.

So they changes to the 2.5 engine in Japan before production was moved to Thailand. The Thai Navara are easy to identify as the tailgate handle is different.

Had mine since new, only done 125k, and never had any issues, only routine servicing.

Just to correct a couple of minor errors. I have a 2008 D22, 2.5L engine, built in Japan, and has the bonnett scoop air intake.

So they changes to the 2.5 engine in Japan before production was moved to Thailand. The Thai Navara are easy to identify as the tailgate handle is different.

Had mine since new, only done 125k, and never had any issues, only routine servicing.
I believe the 2008 models were made in Japan due to the Tsunami in Thailand, gearboxes at least for the hilux were also affected at that time, I have or now have one in bits a 2008 D22 and IMHO it is far better made than the Thai one unfortunately mine had some minor damage to the chassis and getting it registered wasn't worthwhile so just used the best parts on two others and will sell the rest.

Latest posts

Back